Page 14 of 14 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14
Topic Options
#456942 - 07/30/11 12:43 AM Re: Love [Re: LightAngel]
Hawkface Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
Lust is a biological trick to ensure procreation. Love is a biological trick to ensure the offspring are protected. Both feel pretty damn good.

#456969 - 07/30/11 01:15 PM Re: Love [Re: Hawkface]
Poetaster Offline
CoS Member

Loc: East Coast, USA.
Quote:
Lust is a biological trick to ensure procreation. Love is a biological trick to ensure the offspring are protected. Both feel pretty damn good.

And there it is in a nutshell--should be an axiom.
"People who harbor strong convictions without evidence belong at the margins of our societies, not in our halls of power. The only thing we should respect in a personís faith is his desire for a better life in this world; we need never have respected his certainty that one awaits him in the next."

- Sam Harris

#456971 - 07/30/11 01:21 PM Re: Love [Re: Poetaster]
CWH Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Poetaster
Quote:

And there it is in a nutshell--should be an axiom.

Agreed.

#457027 - 07/31/11 12:41 PM Re: Love [Re: LightAngel]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: LightAngel

Falling in love is not a mental weakness if there's real love behind the falling in love feeling wink

Plus...where did this bullshit about "falling in love" makes people do irrational things. Bad decision making skills make people do irrational things, not emotions.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#457061 - 07/31/11 11:41 PM Re: Love [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
AdamBomb Offline

It was me that brought up "falling in love" and yes, I believe it can very well make you do irrational things because it has great potential to base decisions with emotion over reason just like faith does for people.

Regardless, I see how other people view this differently, but what does it really matter? I can't agree with everyone here all the time. It's not like it is something to be expected in these forums.

#457490 - 08/07/11 05:46 AM Re: Love [Re: LightAngel]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Via Helpful Figures.

Meticulously cited sources included.

"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us Ė all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#457608 - 08/08/11 09:38 AM Re: Love [Re: Shade]
AdamBomb Offline

EXACTLY RIGHT - Justin Bieber is the answer to all this. That's what I've been trying to get to all this time. You laid it down, Shade. You the man!

#457935 - 08/11/11 09:49 PM A short film on the Science of Love [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster

Falling in love is not a mental weakness if there's real love behind the falling in love feeling wink

Plus...where did this bullshit about "falling in love" makes people do irrational things. Bad decision making skills make people do irrational things, not emotions.

The One, Part 1, a short film on the Science of Love

The One, Part 2, a short film on the Science of Love

#457953 - 08/12/11 03:05 AM Re: Love [Re: LightAngel]
SatAnonymous Offline

Loc: Nowhere over the rainfall.
Originally Posted By: AdamBomb
Strong Agnostic meaning not weak agnostic. The level of agnostic where you live your life under the assumption there is no God.
He explained it in God Delusion at one point and you can probably find the footage on youtube as well.

But in any case, it really does not matter what anyone is.

Love is not a mental disorder. If anything, I said falling in love is a mental weakness. That does not mean it a bad thing either, you can put your perspective and say it's a mental liberation or strength. It's really how you choose to look at things sometimes. That's the way I look at it.

Only if you can control what you do. Love can make people crazy which means it can take over your mind. It's very similar to weaknesses.

#458595 - 08/21/11 07:59 AM Re: Love [Re: LightAngel]
LightAngel Offline

Loc: Denmark
I will always enjoy the quiet beauty in this music.

Art can also be love.......... sometimes!

#459848 - 09/05/11 06:23 PM Re: Love [Re: LightAngel]
Praxilla Offline

As a woman, I realize that many people, especially other women, believe too wholeheartedly in love to the point that they will jeopardize their well being for it(Which is why, stupidity and wishful thinking is the cause of a lot of young pregnancies.) Fed from youth with Disney fairy tales of "Happily ever afters" and then as adults with romantic comedies, many people, again especially women, rather than having anything that could defined as real love, settle for a...Bastardization of love. Those sorts of relationships usually go hand in hand with emotional and physical abuse. Personally, i'm in no rush.

I wouldn't say that I don't believe in it...But at the same time, I know for a fact that it will not be found anywhere near my current location.

Also, I don't believe in "The one". There are many people out there somewhere who could be compatible with you...But the thing is...most people settle for trying to find that person within the same 25 mile radius they've known since they were in high school. And then they wonder why they can't find anyone and give up on the idea completely. But if it were that simple, everyone would have a mate and no one would get divorced.

I also have a thing for nonAmerican men...Especially of the European persuasion. From my experience, there is just something about the way that they treat women... even in this day and age there is still a lot of respect...Which is what I personally value from a relationship.

Most American men still think an Usher video is their ticket to love:/. Rich+ Car+ etc etc. I can understand the egotistical part of how materialism can make a man feel better about approaching a woman...But we're talking about men who have that and nothing else going for them. Which...As I said...25 mile radius:)).

Obviously not having the option to travel a lot severely limits the availability of the men I want. But that's why love is a bitch to find.

Edited by Praxilla (09/05/11 06:31 PM)

Am not another; therefore Iíll not die.

#459870 - 09/06/11 02:11 AM Re: Love [Re: Praxilla]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> I also have a thing for nonAmerican men...Especially of the European persuasion. From my experience, there is just something about the way that they treat women... even in this day and age there is still a lot of respect...Which is what I personally value from a relationship.

Most American men still think an Usher video is their ticket to love:/. Rich+ Car+ etc etc. I can understand the egotistical part of how materialism can make a man feel better about approaching a woman...But we're talking about men who have that and nothing else going for them. Which...As I said...25 mile radius:)).

Obviously not having the option to travel a lot severely limits the availability of the men I want. But that's why love is a bitch to find. <<

Most of what you say is correct, in my view.

But you're also guilty of thinking the grass is greener on the other side. Whilst travel definitely broadens horizons (and opportunities), the vast majority of European men treat women no better or worse than American men. In addition, neither do most European men have much going for them.

Here in England most men are absolutely clueless.

#459938 - 09/07/11 03:48 PM Re: Love [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Praxilla Offline

Originally Posted By: Rev_Strongbone
>> I also have a thing for nonAmerican men...Especially of the European persuasion. From my experience, there is just something about the way that they treat women... even in this day and age there is still a lot of respect...Which is what I personally value from a relationship.

Obviously not having the option to travel a lot severely limits the availability of the men I want. But that's why love is a bitch to find. <<

Most of what you say is correct, in my view.

But you're also guilty of thinking the grass is greener on the other side. Whilst travel definitely broadens horizons (and opportunities), the vast majority of European men treat women no better or worse than American men. In addition, neither do most European men have much going for them.

Here in England most men are absolutely clueless.

Haha I guess you're right. I am guilty. I had to reread my post to believe it but it's pretty obvious now.

Am not another; therefore Iíll not die.

#479693 - 08/28/12 07:42 PM Re: Love [Re: LightAngel]
ryanleman Offline
Banned

My definition of love is "the perfect (meaning not flawed in any way) positive psychological stimulation of the brain of an individual" i know im being nerdly romantic wink but when someone benefits your life to that extreme they become important to the individual no matter who they are unless for some physiological reason there brain cannot function in that way. love is so powerful that even a Laveyan Satanist would be psychologically tortured for letting the individual they love die for as long as they remember what had happened and many would rather die, I, who hasn't had any real connection like that find it troubling to put myself in a psychological state of love than continue this state with it being destroyed and me allowing that to be so, if it happened in reality id probably fight to the death with whoever killed her and if that didn't kill me i don't know what id do next, i'd probably stay still in mental shock until i could come to my sences again and figure out how to continue on with my life.

#479694 - 08/28/12 07:48 PM Re: Love [Re: ryanleman]
LKRice Offline

CoS Priestess

Please chef the date of the thread before you reply.
Prevention of Virtue

Page 14 of 14 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14

Forum Stats
12095 Members
73 Forums
43861 Topics
405458 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements