Next Thread
Print Thread
Einstein letter calls Bible ‘pretty childish’ #327613
05/13/08 08:13 PM
05/13/08 08:13 PM
Slaytanic666 Offline OP
Slaytanic666  Offline OP

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24598856/

So the man who is touted as one of the top minds EVER has revealed his take on the Bible and its TRUE underlying meaning. What will the christians say??? Oh my!

Last edited by Slaytanic666; 05/13/08 08:28 PM.
Re: Einstein letter calls Bible ‘pretty childish’ [Re: Slaytanic666] #327621
05/13/08 08:58 PM
05/13/08 08:58 PM
Z
Zardex Offline
Zardex  Offline
Z

Odd that people would find this to be news.

Einstein has stated multiple times his views on the Christian religion and the idea of god as a being.

Einstein often referred to God as a concept of nature in a similar materialistic way then Spinoza who viewed himself epicurean. He never expressed belief in God as an actual being.

"I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the kind that we experience in ourselves. Neither can I nor would I want to conceive of an individual that survives his physical death; let feeble souls, from fear or absurd egoism, cherish such thoughts. I am satisfied with the mystery of the eternity of life and with the awareness and a glimpse of the marvelous structure of the existing world, together with the devoted striving to comprehend a portion, be it ever so tiny, of the Reason that manifests itself in nature."
(Albert Einstein, The World as I See It)

"Art is not merely an imitation of the reality of nature, but in truth a metaphysical supplement to the reality of nature, placed alongside thereof for its conquest."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Re: Einstein letter calls Bible ‘pretty childish’ [Re: Zardex] #327628
05/13/08 09:41 PM
05/13/08 09:41 PM
Slaytanic666 Offline OP
Slaytanic666  Offline OP

I think that it is interesting, not only that it is highlighted in mainstream news, but religious groups always like to make arguments as to what people have said and what the meaning behind it is. They have minced words and reversed meanings in all of Einstein's books and writings so far to make them look supportive of religion because he is so respected and they want him on "their side". It is the same thing when a psychologist tells a murderer that he killed 26 women because of the bad relationship with his mother in trying to rationalize his intent with what is considered "normal". Here is an actual physical document, in Einstein's own handwriting, effectively insulting religion and its "proof" of God which are the writings in the bible with concise and direct language.

In the quote you mentioned, Einstein criticizes people that believe that god judges them in the afterlife. These statements still leave openings for zealots to say "see, he still believes in God". In this letter he actually points to the core of religion itself - the bible, and insults it directly.

Personally, i think that Einstein had an even harsher take on the whole thing, but was not allowed to voice it so openly in his time for fear of persecution. It is just refreshing that this can be put in the public spotlight without some bible thumping news editor pulling it down before it got out. Personal letters like this give us just a little more insight on who the man really was. Remember, most people have such a low level of intelligence that when you mention Einstein they say "oh yeah, the e=mc2 guy", or "wasn't he smart or something". Take note of the audience in context.

Re: Einstein letter calls Bible ‘pretty childish’ [Re: Slaytanic666] #327632
05/13/08 09:55 PM
05/13/08 09:55 PM
Calgary
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member
TheDegenerate  Offline
CoS Member

Calgary
It is because Einstein used the word "God" in a poetic fashion that creationists twisted his words and ideas and said, "See?? See?? He believes in God!!!"

A creationist hearing an Atheist say the words "Oh God" as a slang will also instantly point and say "HA!" which is really ridiculous.

I mean, it isn't like Satanists are trying to get rid of the same slang. I have never seen anyone here say "Oh Satan!" Or "Satan Dammit!"

Stephen Hawking as well has been known to refer to "God" in a similar fashion to Einstein, but again, when it has happened, it has been taken out of the context it was used, and assumed to be a sign of faith.

Re: Einstein letter calls Bible ‘pretty childish’ [Re: TheDegenerate] #327639
05/13/08 10:13 PM
05/13/08 10:13 PM
Z
Zardex Offline
Zardex  Offline
Z

“It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.”

Albert Einstein, in a letter March 24, 1954

You're right. It seems Einstein while alive has encountered this systematic misinterpretation of his words as well.

"Art is not merely an imitation of the reality of nature, but in truth a metaphysical supplement to the reality of nature, placed alongside thereof for its conquest."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Re: Einstein letter calls Bible ‘pretty childish’ [Re: Zardex] #327682
05/14/08 02:10 AM
05/14/08 02:10 AM
New England, USA
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister
Bill_M  Offline
CoS Magister

New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Zardex
You're right. It seems Einstein while alive has encountered this systematic misinterpretation of his words as well.

Yep, that same quote came to mind. It seems that people will still believe what they want to believe, like a bad urban legend. Even though he was Time magazine's "Most influential person of the 20th century". Go figure!

Reverend Bill M.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)
Re: Einstein letter calls Bible ‘pretty childish’ [Re: Slaytanic666] #327765
05/14/08 05:53 AM
05/14/08 05:53 AM
Skien, Norway
Never Offline
Never  Offline

Skien, Norway
Originally Posted By: Slaytanic666
So the man who is touted as one of the top minds EVER has revealed his take on the Bible and its TRUE underlying meaning. What will the christians say??? Oh my!

Quick question - Einstein was a scientist, right?
So.. what he says about God etc. - well, it wasn't realy his area of expertise, so why should his words weigh heavier than anyone's?

Where I lay my head is home
Re: Einstein letter calls Bible ‘pretty childish’ [Re: Never] #327779
05/14/08 09:34 AM
05/14/08 09:34 AM
New England, USA
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister
Bill_M  Offline
CoS Magister

New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Never
So.. what he says about God etc. - well, it wasn't realy his area of expertise, so why should his words weigh heavier than anyone's?

They shouldn't, but to people who think theologians are qualified to talk about biology and cosmology (read: creationists), I can't imagine that they'd think the reverse was any less credible.

Reverend Bill M.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)
Re: Einstein letter calls Bible ‘pretty childish’ [Re: Slaytanic666] #327962
05/15/08 03:07 AM
05/15/08 03:07 AM
F
FalloutGod Offline
Intellectual Black Hole
FalloutGod  Offline
Intellectual Black Hole
F

smile As Dr. LaVey penned in The Satanic Bible; Satanists do not find God to be some being of higher power that is concerned with this dust ball. To most Satanists a concept of God would be a balancing force in nature. Which can be understood as the variable laws of science that govern existence. So in that respect I take my hat off to a most Satanic scientist of that time! Which can be confusing for some as we often refer to ourselves as our own God. Maybe the esoteric value is a bit overboard(for most people) in the book but that has not stopped me from grasping it. Anyway, I digress, thank you for posting that article. Interesting news indeed.

EDIT: At least it's interesting about the letter being auctioned off. smile I wish I could afford it. *Imagines rolling it up and smacking a creationist with it* I think I'd hang it up in my room. As much fun as it would be to smack a creationist with the letter I could not bring my self to dirty the letter with their filth. Nah, it would be much better in a nice frame hanging on a wall. Besides, I don't want to get sued for slapping someone with a piece of history despite how funny the headlines would be.

Last edited by FalloutGod; 05/15/08 03:16 AM.
Re: Einstein letter calls Bible ‘pretty childish’ [Re: TheDegenerate] #328111
05/15/08 08:42 PM
05/15/08 08:42 PM
Slaytanic666 Offline OP
Slaytanic666  Offline OP

Exactly right. Hawking's "God Complex" is an awesome book.

Re: Einstein letter calls Bible ‘pretty childish’ [Re: Never] #328114
05/15/08 08:51 PM
05/15/08 08:51 PM
Slaytanic666 Offline OP
Slaytanic666  Offline OP

It is the constant battle of religious belief vs. science and theory. If a logical person believes that Einstein is a brilliant scientist and the majority of his theorys are sound and rational, then how can you deny what he thinks about god, or lack of one? People who believe in something they cannot see, hear, feel, touch or smell and can offer no proof that it ever existed, but yet they still believe would hit a paradox if they also see Einstein as one of the brightest men in history. Which one is it? Is he brilliant or is he insane? The person whose values and beliefs are religiously based would HAVE to say he is in insane, if they were to remain a "logical" person.

Re: Einstein letter calls Bible ‘pretty childish’ [Re: ] #328117
05/15/08 08:59 PM
05/15/08 08:59 PM
Slaytanic666 Offline OP
Slaytanic666  Offline OP

This is true. Everything has some scientific explanation. Even if our current level of science is not able to explain it, it will eventually. The problem is that theology likes to work within the wonder - everything is based on imagination. Religious people say "Oh, what if that guy got run over because God wanted to punish him". Scientists say "Well what about the quart of gin the driver just consumed at lunch?"

Remember, we live in a world where a teacher was just fired in Florida after performing a magic trick for "wizardry". This JUST happened about two weeks ago. These same people respect Einstein for his intelligence. It would be very hard for them to accept that he does not believe in God.

People like us make up a small percentage of the world.

Re: Einstein letter calls Bible ‘pretty childish’ [Re: FalloutGod] #328120
05/15/08 09:09 PM
05/15/08 09:09 PM
Slaytanic666 Offline OP
Slaytanic666  Offline OP

There is no doubt that nature and its ability to adapt and renew is an amazing thing, but it is highly scientific and there are reasons behind it all - none of which have anything to do with a higher power or omnipotent being. That's getting too much into creationism vs evolution though.

I can appreciate the collector's value of Einstein's letter, but the reason i posted was the value in that it was in the public mainstream press. Usually, as the church has done for all time, they try to hide these types of things away so nobody can see them. Just as they've done with many other texts and writings that may prove them wrong or destroy their little "take everyone's money and molest their children" project. The fact that it was on MSNBC give me a little hope that people just may wake up eventually. According to them, WE are wrong.

What was LaVey's exact quote again? Was it aimed at someone specific or just a general statement?

Re: Einstein letter calls Bible ‘pretty childish’ [Re: Slaytanic666] #328174
05/16/08 03:19 AM
05/16/08 03:19 AM
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock
Callier  Offline

CoS Warlock

You should read The Book of Satanic Quotations and see a lot more of what Einstein had to say about spiritualism. coopdevil

Re: Einstein letter calls Bible ‘pretty childish’ [Re: Slaytanic666] #328212
05/16/08 06:39 AM
05/16/08 06:39 AM
F
FalloutGod Offline
Intellectual Black Hole
FalloutGod  Offline
Intellectual Black Hole
F

Kinda of a big quote so I'll cut some parts out. Read the chapter -WANTED!- God--Dead or Alive PG.40 for the full context.

"It is a popular misconception that the Satanist does not believe in God...
To the Satanist "God"--by whatever name he is called, or by no name at all--is seen as the balancing factor in nature, and not as a being concerned with suffering." -- Dr. LaVey

So it is what it is, the worship of life and not some white-washed version of it. smile

Also it was just a general statement to point out why I thought Einstein to be worthy of praise.

Last edited by FalloutGod; 05/16/08 06:40 AM.

Forum Statistics
Forums73
Topics44,559
Posts408,092
Members13,351
Most Online227
Sep 17th, 2018
Advertisements

hold
Page Time: 0.039s Queries: 14 (0.033s) Memory: 1.0863 MB (Peak: 1.2891 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-09-24 15:09:42 UTC