Topic Options
#32848 - 03/21/04 08:13 PM Satanic Rituals v1.0
HLGwyn Offline

Loc: Colorado
I discovered something while sitting on my throne (the toilet) catching up on some reading.

The tome I was involved in is a clean, boldly colored first edition of the Satanic Rituals. I was feeling nostalgic, considering the color of the book, the feel and smell of the pages, the memories of holding it while doing my stuff as some teenage hooligan...hell even the price printed on the upper right hand corner of its' face caught me...$1.28 U.S.

I do not delve much as an old fart, so it was a solid trip down memory lane.

On thing I found of note is to be found at the opening discourse relating to what, who, when and where to perform the ritual. Said ritual being "The Call To CTHULHU", the wording of note being...ahem, to paraphrase...All participants must wear the seal of Satan as a medallion; disregarding that action may prove dangerous.

This is the only mumbo jumbo concerning a "Should do or else" cloaked in occultism that I have ever found in regards to LaVeys' work. Usually the words LaVey penned are lucid and set in a no-bull cadence to avoid misinterpretation. But those few words smack of standing within protective circle hype, and do or die mystery found among white lighters.

Before someone mistakes my intent at whining or bashing, I would like to give my own opinion as to the why.

LaVey knew emotion to be a great factor in energy formation and direction. The mythos of Lovecraft smack of amulets and talismans being influential on guiding/controlling the wild, hoary aspects of the old gods, using angles as paths...in surrounding area or as sigils. To the less than observant, the emotion ploy comes from the threat of danger! danger! DANGER! by ignoring such a warning and the thoughts at "How wild will this ride be!?!" by those wearing the seal. The esoteric meaning could be the angles of the sign being worn, act as a proper conduit to the particular energies being dealt with, and not having such a device would open up a world of alien hurt on the participants not in touch with geometric energy.

Once again, I am not saying what I found written is wrong, just odd, and worthy of guessing intent, if for nothing else than to pass time while on the throne.

I am off to purchase a newer volume, and see if it still resides in writing there. If any would like to share their musings, I guess now would be the time to enlighten.

#32849 - 03/21/04 08:25 PM Re: Satanic Rituals v1.0 [Re: HLGwyn]
Perndog Offline
CoS Member

Loc: USA
I like the danger sign idea; something I hadn't considered much before.

If this particular bit you've mentioned wasn't just a mistake on Dr. LaVey's part, I can see how he may have added it to add intensity to the ritual.

#32850 - 03/22/04 11:36 AM Re: Satanic Rituals v1.0 [Re: HLGwyn]
Faustus Offline

That reference almost looks like Michael Aquino's doing. Aquino actually believed in demonic entities and his writing always had a supernaturalist bent to it. I had heard that he had allegedly contributed to some of the Lovecraftian material in that book. Someone more knowledgeable may be able to confirm or deny that.

#32851 - 03/22/04 05:01 PM Psychodrama [Re: HLGwyn]
Mason_Rust Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
Always remember that Satanic rituals are, among many other things, psychodramas. Anything that adds stimulation to the experience will likely enhance the outcome. During a ritual, be you in your chamber or as in this particular example, by a large body of water, you are setting a stage for yourself and suspending your disbelief. All props should be in accordance to this, and should detract from the atmosphere you are attempting to create as little as possible. You are in a sense temporarily creating a total environment.

Lovecraft's stories often involved much emphasis on sigils, symbols, etc. and the grave danger the warlock would be exposed to without them, or even, without the right one. If you are performing a Lovecraft inspired ritual, it only makes sense to create a total Lovecraftian environment during your ritual. The line in question that LaVey authored only adds to this Lovecraftian theme, and I think it's an excellent choice of his to include it.

The more I read of LaVey's work, particularly TSB and TSR, I do not think he wrote a single line without much consideration and intention.

Oh, and by the way, this line is included in the current version of TSR.

#32852 - 03/23/04 12:04 PM Re: Things. [Re: HLGwyn]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Not everything is always as simple as it seems.

#32853 - 03/23/04 05:43 PM Re: Things. [Re: Nemo]
Prince_Satanicus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: KNOXVILLE, Tennessee, (THE BLA...
Magister, your statements always make people think.

HAIL SATAN
HAIL ANTON LAVEY
HAIL ME

Forum Stats
12278 Members
73 Forums
43880 Topics
404441 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements