Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#328533 - 05/17/08 08:03 PM Modern Masculinity
ZackC Offline

Loc: WA
I am a student at Carroll College in Helena, MT and have enjoyed my time there alot. In fact this past freshman year has been the best time of my life. It is curiously enough a Catholic Liberal Arts College, that's right a Catholic school. Reading that probably caused a few gringes. That being said, the people are very very kind an I got and excellent ROTC scholarship. The school's tution is about 22,000 a year, and I get it all paid for. I also feel as though I am getting a very well rounded education.
I had to write a research paper as my final assignment in my composition class. The topic I chose was 'Modern Maculinity' and I even got an -A on it. He even gave me an A for the course too, even though all my other grades in his class were...unfortunate...and I bombed my library componet.
I would really love to read some views of Modern Masculinity from a Satanists perspective. I don't want to promt to much, I just want honest thoughts on how masculinity has changed and is continuing to change; how you all would define masculinity personally and maybe talk about its importance, if any is percieved.

I am really curious to read these responses!!!

Edited by ZackC (05/17/08 08:05 PM)
Edit Reason: Grammer

#328535 - 05/17/08 08:25 PM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: ZackC]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Masculinity has not and never will change. The only thing that has changed is our willingness to cope with it in raw form.

#328537 - 05/17/08 08:27 PM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Nicolette Offline

Loc: Deutschland
My opinion is that never before has masculinity been as undervalued and ridiculed as it is now.

#328553 - 05/17/08 10:37 PM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
TheAbysmal Offline

Well said, Sir.

Refuse to die.

#328559 - 05/17/08 11:34 PM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: ZackC]
C.F. Kane Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Bat City
"This is my body which is broken for you, this do in remembrance of me." - I Cor. 11:24

"Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry." -Mark Twain

"Maybe I'll make some teeth and whiskers." -C.F. Kane

#328580 - 05/18/08 04:48 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: ZackC]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada
I guess how yo view "masculinity" really depends on what subculture you are looking at. You can't judge a society as a whole based on a few subcultures.

Overall I think masculinity hasn't changed. As what has been masculine many many years in the past is still masculine today. We just have gained more sub cultures and social movements that stick out more than the age old MAN, mainly due to the bright makeup they are wearing.

These groups usually don't really care about masculinity or know what it means. They are too concerned with fashion, makeup and unicorns.

#328713 - 05/19/08 05:35 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: tovasshi]
FalloutGod Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

I like my black eyeliner. My foundation and my eye shadow. Does it take away from my masculinity to wear make up? What the hell is masculinity anyway? Being buff? Physically fit? Being a stereotyped male? Herd conformity?

#328724 - 05/19/08 07:54 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: FalloutGod]
Never Offline

Loc: Skien, Norway
Originally Posted By: FalloutGod
What the hell is masculinity anyway?

Who the hell cares?

People who tries to be masculine more often that not ends up looking foolish instead.

And as someone said before me, masculinity is a different thing looking at different subcultures. Hey, look at heavy metal people - some of them think of masculinity as pissing on graves and watching people get executed at the internet.

If you feel like wearing make up, who the hell cares? Good for you and doesn't hurt anyone.

#328725 - 05/19/08 07:57 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: FalloutGod]
Lust Offline

"What the hell is masculinity anyway?"

�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#328735 - 05/19/08 10:07 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: FalloutGod]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Does it take away from my masculinity to wear make up?

Yes. Like it or not it does.

#328745 - 05/19/08 10:29 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: FalloutGod]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
I think masculinity does have some general properties, and is not simply up to the definition of the individual. A guy who is ripped looking, tough in some way, is going to be considered more masculine then the pencil-necked geek, or, in your case, a guy who likes to slap on some eyeshadow. I don't think it has anything to do with herd conformity, or any of that nonsense. Sure, there are a lot of meat heads who spend too much time at the gym, getting pumped on steroids...but they will still be perceived as more masculine than the equally abhorrent dork who is far too pale, wears black nail polish, and always looks like he is about to jump off a bridge.

It's all personal preference. Not every male is going to look, or desire to look, "tough" by default, though having a fit body, a bit of facial or chest hair, a square chin and broad shoulders are inherently manly traits. In the same, not all women have the ability to take advantage of all of their feminine wiles, and are therefore not perceived as being feminine. They are labeled as "butch", or whatever the term might be.

#328746 - 05/19/08 10:31 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: FalloutGod]
D. Macabre Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The South Bay, CA
Originally Posted By: FalloutGod
I like my black eyeliner. My foundation and my eye shadow. Does it take away from my masculinity to wear make up?

Yes, indeed it does - Men are not supposed to wear make up. That's why it's not marketed for Men. Nevermind it makes you look like a fruit cake, of course I may be alone in that opinion, but it's still my take on it.
The Social Cesspool!
The Grumpy Sergeant

"A man who limits his interests, limits his life." --Vincent Price

Do what you want as long as it's paying off for you. But once it's become a liability, then something is wrong and you better find out what it is. --Anton Szandor LaVey

"I have only ONE thing to say to trendy brain-dead music-centered youth: ARBEIT MACHT FREI SHITHEADS PULL UP YOUR STUPID PANTS AND FORM A LINE AT THE PLATFORMS, THE TRAINS WILL BE ARRIVING SOON." --Magister James D. Sass

#328754 - 05/19/08 11:30 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: FalloutGod]
Nicolette Offline

Loc: Deutschland
The purpose of everyday women's makeup is to gild the lily.

When a woman wears makeup, whether or not she wears it to please a man, it sends a message that she cares about her appearance; that she is trying to please others with her looks.

This is more natural to a woman. Such things as makeup, heels, and erotic dance are visually stimulating and natural to a woman's body and features.

In my opinion, a man's attractiveness is based upon his functionality, what he can do. A masculine man is one that can take care of business. He can be among many things, a lover and a protector. Basic hygiene and grooming standards aside, it doesn't matter if his hands are calloused or if he's had his nose broken.

In short, men aren't meant to be pretty, and I am not interested in any man who tries to be so. If I want a woman, I'll go get a woman.

Yes, one can argue that there are cultural and purpose driven situations in which a man might wear makeup. Warriors have had a long history of wearing it. I can imagine that it is necessary in certain careers - it certainly makes me think no less of John Wayne if he ever had to get his face powdered before rolling film. NFL players wear it to keep sunlight out of their eyes, and to be more intimidating.

But in these situations, the donning of makeup by a man is purpose-driven to various masculine feats. It serves a purpose. It is not worn just for the sake of being pretty - that is when it becomes, in fact, a feminine endeavor.

#328758 - 05/19/08 11:44 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: FalloutGod]
Philotechnic Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NC, US
You see, if you want to play into being masculine, that includes giving into preconceived notions of masculinity such as using strength and brute force, asserting decisions, being competitive, etc.

Just wanting make up to be masculine isn't enough, it's already a preconceived notion for most people that makeup is very feminine.

The Satanist is pragmatic because he uses what's available and works with it, instead of against it.

Of course you can try combining makeup and typical male masculinity, but I'm afraid it would come off looking like this:

#328760 - 05/19/08 11:48 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: ZackC]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
12015 Members
73 Forums
43825 Topics
405208 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements