Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#329202 - 05/21/08 07:34 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: Darkahn]
Nicolette Offline

Loc: Deutschland
Yes, I definitely found that as a distasteful blip in an otherwise great article.

The only way I could rationalize that would be: many times in a couple that gets back together after unfaithfulness the wronged partner perpetually holds a guilt-whip over the other's head, and the author was making it clear this would not be the case.

I think a talk over coffee could have accomplished this as well but hey what do I know whistle

#329203 - 05/21/08 07:34 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: Bill_M]
FalloutGod Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

I have not had an inclination to pick that book up yet. Here are my reasons why. Other than the fact that I'm reading a lot of other things at the moment. I don't think I will benefit much from it.

To be honest, I never had trouble with getting what I wanted out of women except for long term commitment. Realizing that while commitment is a nice fantasy it does no exist and is not statistically probable. 4 out 5 marriages go to crap in America, when you get married it's a 50% chance it will go to hell. I'll stick to my frequent flings and get my rocks off. I don't care for commitment and "eternal love" whatever that is. I've never seen or found it, some claim to have it but I always tend to see them loose it.

Some say I'm bitter and heart broken, maybe even mentally disturbed. I disagree, I'm a man hardened by the reality of intimate relationships. I know what I can have for certain and aiming for it helps to concentrate on more important things, like my life and where I'm headed. Women and sex are the little things I partake in along the way. I'm don't claim to be anything special and they just water me down. They leave on their own so I never felt guilty. I enjoy variety far more than anything static and easily get bored with people in general. Then again, most people are generally boring so it's no surprise now is it?

Well that's my say on the matter but I will get to the book, eventually. Maybe I'll find some reason or another that will convince me to start reading it sooner. So far though I have not seen anyone say anything about it that really struck me as something I did not already know.

Edited by FalloutGod (05/21/08 07:42 AM)

#329204 - 05/21/08 07:39 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: Shade]
FalloutGod Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

Originally Posted By: LeviathanXIII
To address both you and Zaftig:

Being heterosexual and being masculine are not the same. One can be plenty heterosexual but not masculine, and even be effeminate. One is an instinctive mental state, the other is a choice of where we like to bed. They are as unrelated as our deep voice is to our preference for white meat or dark.

Being well-groomed is also fine, but it isn't part of masculinity. Not to say it's a bad thing, obviously even I shave, cut my hair (or shave my head as the case may be), wash my clothes, etc. But this isn't a manly pursuit, it's a requirement of social norms and a requirement of modern women.

The most primal part of a man has no desire whatsoever to look the way women want him to look. We hate shaving, we don't particularly like haircuts, we only like bathing because it feels good when it's hot, and we only give a shit about clothes because we catch hell if we don't. Find the most dapper man and I will show you a man who sits around in his dirty briefs when no one else is around and if he had a weekend alone wouldn't bother shaving till Monday.

You want to know what a man would look like if he had his way? Look at Vikings, pirates, and mountain men. Men would be far less vain if it weren't for the nagging of women. What little vanity men do have in an all-male environment is more the greed of possession than it is aesthetics. Notice also that for uncivilized men the value of the object is more important than whether it "matches." They just want to move up a social rung.

No doubt you do appreciate it when men make an effort to look nice. But make no mistake, if you didn't have the one thing men are enslaved to we'd laugh at the very idea of it.

There's more but you have the capacity to go back to page one and re-read the thread. smile

#329208 - 05/21/08 07:50 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: FalloutGod]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: FalloutGod
I have not had an inclination to pick that book up yet.

Gee, ya don't say?

Quote:
I don't think I will benefit much from it.

I won't argue that.

Quote:
So far though I have not seen anyone say anything about it that really struck me as something I did not already know.

And so far it sounds to me like you don't have much of an idea of what the book is about. Well if you want throw lesser magic completely out the window, fine. Your loss.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#329209 - 05/21/08 07:59 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: Bill_M]
FalloutGod Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

Reverend Bill M, you and your reverse psychology. :P Why did you have to pull that one on me? Now I'm going to want to read it more than before. I don't throw lesser magic out the window, I just figured I had a natural affinity to it judging by my success in the real world. I'm sure there's something in there I could learn. Yet, I do what works and what I do works for me. So eh, I'll still get to it eventually, sometime this year(I hope).

Edited by FalloutGod (05/21/08 08:00 AM)

#329210 - 05/21/08 07:59 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: FalloutGod]
Darkahn Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
That was the funniest thing I've read all day. If I could draw, I'd so make a comic of that.

As a side note, you really should read The Satanic Witch -- it is perhaps the most informative piece on Lesser Magic, and II haven't even had the chance to read the book in its entirety.

Undercroft

#329211 - 05/21/08 08:01 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: Bruja]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: Bruja
That being said, if that man spends more time putting together an ensemble than I do, or spends a very notable amount of time discussing his appearance, ect.... well that does nothing but irritate me.

I have found that there is a general distrust towards men who appear to spend a large amount of time on their appearance. It gives the impression that he is trying to hide something. Women, however, are expected to spend time on their appearance to show that they care. Different standards...not double.

Edited by Roho_the_Rooster (05/21/08 08:02 AM)
Edit Reason: Got lost looking in the mirror.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#329213 - 05/21/08 08:05 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: FalloutGod]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
We clearly drew different conclusions concerning Priest Leviathan's post. I'm perfectly content leaving it that way.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#329214 - 05/21/08 08:06 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: Bill_M]
AurEum Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
Exactly. I would think it would be wiser to read up on the topic in all applicable areas (science, psychology, maybe even Satanic literature ::gasp::). Then maybe one would be better prepared to start a productive discussion.

I see a theme here. Ask a question. Argue with the answers you receive (note: I said argue, not ask for clarification). Attempt to get others to see how misguided they are and how right you are. Oh, I amost forgot, throw in a bit of condescending statements towards women for good measure.

Edited by ealaiontoir (05/21/08 08:07 AM)

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe

#329215 - 05/21/08 08:11 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: FalloutGod]
AurEum Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
For the billionth time: Go read "The Satanic Witch." Then read it a second and thrid time. Then perhaps read a few more titles that have been suggested.

Your actions tell others where your priorities lie. If you don't have enough time to read, you're obviously spending your time elsewhere. Which is fine, just don't expect others to hand you the information that they actually took the time to read and apply.

You comment quite frequently about your skills in lesser magic, especially with women and getting what you want from them. Why then are women the topic of so many of your posts? If you are so successful in that area why do you try so hard to label wearing eyeliner as masculine? I don't buy into your little dog and pony show.

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe

#329216 - 05/21/08 08:13 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: Nicolette]
Darkahn Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I would think there would be better ways to amend such injustice, rather than kinky pillow talk (which is then published for the entire world to see), but as a virgin, what do I know? grin

Undercroft

#329218 - 05/21/08 08:25 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: AurEum]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
That's always the problem I have with FalloutGod's rants as well.

You can have twenty, thirty, fourty people even come in here, read what he wrote, and reply with "No." yet he will still lack the common sense to even consider the possibility that he could be wrong, making some eye-rolling statement such as "It seems my ideas are wasted on you disagreeable folks!" That being said, I do enjoy his posts from time to time, but the attitude (as well as Reverend Bill's observation; lack of knowledge of important Satanic material) doesn't help in situations like this.

Femininity and masculinity ARE extremely important, naturally, to the human animal. They matter. Both are important to naturally attracting a mate, as well as intimidating any inferior would-be suitors. Women I have noticed in general, will always veer towards the "tough guy", even when everything else about him sucks. The girl who wants a "nice guy" ALWAYS ends up with the dick, and men are rarely attracted to the women who do not keep up their appearance, or work their feminine wiles. This is not my opinion on all the good Witches and Warlocks out there; but the Satanist DOES recognize the difference, DOES recognize that masculinity and femininity ARE an extremely important part of Lesser Magic, (whether those particular individuals have it or NOT) and uses this to their advantage.

The fact is, you can take ANYTHING and make it "subjective". Just like some people can take Satanism, and call themselves a Satanist, when they just simply aren't. I could go ahead and say that all of the herd is a potential Satanist if you look at them from a certain viewpoint, or that subjectively, to myself, beef tastes like chicken and therefore, must be chicken, but it would be bullshit, wouldn't it? The Satanist is a seeker of the truth, which is why the word "believe" is so utterly ghastly to him.

You can "believe" that masculinity is changing, and that it is subjective.

You can "believe" that you are masculine whether or not you inherit masculine properties or not.

But if just "believing" something made it true, we would all be peddling the holy bible, or the koran, or whatever the hell suited our fancy at the time, wouldn't we?

#329219 - 05/21/08 08:29 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: AurEum]
FalloutGod Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

First, I don't have ponies.

Second, I don't care if people think eyeliner is not masculine. I still like the stuff.

Third, because those are the only ones of mine that you have read?

#329221 - 05/21/08 08:32 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: FalloutGod]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Point is, this topic is about masculinity, and not eyeliner, or whether one likes it or not. You were arguing that makeup on men, applied in the way you use it, can be subjectively masculine.

If your whole point has been "I don't care, I like it," Let's see an eyeliner thread wink

#329223 - 05/21/08 08:36 AM Re: Modern Masculinity [Re: Darkahn]
Nicolette Offline

Loc: Deutschland
I dunno. Maybe we should both put on eyeliner at the same time and see if it makes us manly enough to understand wink

Other than that, I'm all out.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44036 Topics
406369 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements