Topic Options
#326896 - 05/10/08 12:47 AM Satanism and Atheism
Charlie R Offline

For the record, Satanism could be discounted in the way that Scientology is. Both are relatively new as, religions. Also it falls in line with everything that Atheists don't agree with. Such as Pseudo-science, paranormal, god figures and naming itself as a religion.

In my mind, it's the better of both evils. I find no sense in following age old ideas of the origin of our species. I also don't feel it's necessary to live by a set of teachings other than self. Hence the language secular humanism. I'm still trying to figure out what marriage is good for other than a tax break.

As for commandments of your religions, Atheists have a set of those too. It's not a sin not to follow them, but they are very good ideas. Such as separation of church and state. That's pushing it. Morality seems to be lost without religion in some people. I find that very sad. So in some cases it's actually better for religion to have somewhat of an influence on a nation. However when it comes to deciding the morality of certain science practices, aka Stem Cell research, they are wrong.

#326898 - 05/10/08 12:56 AM Re: Satanism and Atheism [Re: Charlie R]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Ok, what?

This isn't a question, it's a statement. Nor is it one that I, in the capacity of a CoS official, find in any way an accurate description of Satanism.

This looks like something posted while drunk, and given that it's 1 am CST on a Friday night, I have this sneaking suspicion it is something posted while drunk.

Go take a cold shower. Or a long walk off a short pier. Your choice.

#326914 - 05/10/08 06:19 AM Re: Satanism and Atheism [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
MissMina1556 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: USA
Only moderators and Priesthood may respond to posts in the Q&A forum. All others will be deleted.

Cheers,

Leviathan XIII

Edited by LeviathanXIII (05/10/08 06:25 AM)

#326926 - 05/10/08 08:00 AM Re: Satanism and Atheism [Re: Charlie R]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: James R
For the record, Satanism could be discounted in the way that Scientology is. Both are relatively new as, religions.

Is a religion title with social acceptance THAT important to you? If winning over some group was more important to me than being honest with myself, then I wouldn't have taken up the label of "Satanist" in the first place. Of course, if you DON'T identify as a Satanist, I'd have to wonder why you'd be on this message board in the first place.

Furthermore, anybody who pretentiously prides himself on being "pro logic" (something that militant atheists always seem to be patting themselves on the back for) should be aware of a little fallacy known as argumentum ad antiquitatem. Go ahead and "google it" if you must.

Quote:
Also it falls in line with everything that Atheists don't agree with. Such as Pseudo-science, paranormal, god figures and naming itself as a religion.

"Atheism" means absolutely nothing more than "no belief in deity". If you call anything more than the existence of deity "everything that atheists don't agree with", then you're making generalizations about atheists. A self-labeled "Atheist" who ignorantly assumes that I must be into "pseudo-science, the paranormal, and god figures" is obviously another one of those morons who hasn't done much research on my religion, yet claims to know all about it.

And what's with the capital "A" anyway? For somebody who claims to be afraid of the word "religion", you sure seem to want to glorify "Atheism" as being something structured.

Quote:
In my mind, it's the better of both evils. I find no sense in following age old ideas of the origin of our species. I also don't feel it's necessary to live by a set of teachings other than self. Hence the language secular humanism. I'm still trying to figure out what marriage is good for other than a tax break.

It doesn't matter to me that you like Satanism more than Scientology. Satanism is a tool, not a cause (a fact that seemed to sail right over your head). I still have to wonder what the hell does creationism or marriage have to do with anything that you've said. As for "living by teachings", read this.

Quote:
As for commandments of your religions,

There's a reason why they're called "The Nine Statements" and not "The Nine Commandments". Not that I expect you to grasp that when you can't even grasp the basics, of course.

Quote:
Atheists have a set of those too. It's not a sin not to follow them, but they are very good ideas. Such as separation of church and state. That's pushing it. Morality seems to be lost without religion in some people. I find that very sad. So in some cases it's actually better for religion to have somewhat of an influence on a nation.

Looks like that you aren't an atheist then by your own warped definitions, since you don't obey their "Commandments".

So what the hell is your question anyway? Did you just post this to the wrong section? (Feel free to use that as an excuse even if you didn't!)

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#331074 - 05/29/08 05:30 PM Re: Satanism and Atheism [Re: Bill_M]
Charlie R Offline

No, to be honest, if Satanists are going to add all the symbology and language of the term satan to their religion, but not actually worship the devil itself, and at the same time hold objectivism, humanism, hedonism, and self will at the highest of philosophies, you might as well ditch the title of religion and just be atheist. I don't understand the reasoning behind the title, and practices of the Satanic church, if they aren't actually satanic, rather secular humanism than anything. What I think is, you're in it because you have a neurological complex that needs to be fed, the rabble-rousing that is the aftermath of what you are against. You can accomplish the same without classifying yourself as the opposite of the supposed good, and again, without the idols and worshiping that isn't actually present, which is still used to establish the religion itself under symbology. (i'm going in circles)

As for being honest with ourselves, that is why I choose atheism as the possible truth for myself. Much like you choose Satanism as the possible truth for yourself. Why is a religious title important to you at all? Or are you just looking for a good argument by conforming to the opposite of the Big Blob known as Christianity.

Are you saying that satanists "do not" pride themselves on pro-logic? Because I concur whole-heartedly and with a big smile on my face.

Satanism:
1. The worship of Satan characterized by a travesty of the Christian rites.
2. satanism Profound wickedness.

Atheism:
1. Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.
2. The doctrine that there is no God or gods.

Just like your religion, Atheism is more than just, "no belief in deity". Especially based on the definition of it. You yourself claim that there is more to satanism than what is written in LaVey's word, or the actual term itself. Well, there is more to atheism than your little definition of atheism as well.

EDIT: Sorry, it was more or less a statement that I want one of you bold folk to prove me wrong of. I still don't have that feeling out of my stomach, though.

Edited by Charlie R (05/29/08 05:31 PM)

#331084 - 05/29/08 05:58 PM Re: Satanism and Atheism [Re: Charlie R]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

You really are a moron. Do you understand language at all, or are you one of those assholes who always wants to steal a word and add an elaborate "definition" to it when it already has one?

Atheism is lack of belief in any deity. Nothing more, nothing less.

I doubt anyone is interested in proving you wrong. What would it profit us?

#331093 - 05/29/08 06:19 PM Re: Satanism and Atheism [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
MagistraNadramia Offline

CoS HighPriestess

Loc: Hell's Kitchen, NYC
Wonderful responses from Reverends Bill_M and LeviathanXIII.

The title always separates them from us, doesn't it?

Magistra Peggy Nadramia

Please email me with your membership questions - PMs may not be answered.
www.churchofsatan.com
HPNadramia@churchofsatan.com

Forum Stats
12198 Members
73 Forums
43975 Topics
406010 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements