Topic Options
#332313 - 06/06/08 12:46 AM Hypocritical or not?
Pinko Offline
Banned

I've recently been immersing myself in information about LaVeyan Satanism and found something that I'm not sure is hypocritical or not.
One of the Satanist sins is conformity...
because of that, wouldn't it be considered a sin to conform to the stated rules of becoming a member by sending $200 to the "church"?

#332320 - 06/06/08 02:02 AM Re: Hypocritical or not? [Re: Pinko]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

So don't. It's not mandatory or even encouraged.

#332345 - 06/06/08 07:57 AM Re: Hypocritical or not? [Re: Pinko]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

There is no such thing as "LaVeyan" Satanism.

Good bye.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#332352 - 06/06/08 09:38 AM Re: Hypocritical or not? [Re: Phineas]
Pinko Offline
Banned

If you use the phrase "satanism" for every religion which is counter to Christianity then we would be talking about a LOT of different philosophies and founders.
LaVeyan satanism is the philosophy in which Anton LaVey began in 1966. He is the one who wrote "The Satanic Bible".
This is why I specifically used the words "LaVeyan Satanism" so that no one would be confused as to what sins I was referring to.
I understand that he used many different ideas and philosophies that had already been in practice, but the fact is he is the person who put it all together in some form of organization and applied the loose scramble of ideas into a meal.

So, don't act like I don't know what I'm talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaVeyan_Satanism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanic_Bible

#332353 - 06/06/08 09:40 AM Re: Hypocritical or not? [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Pinko Offline
Banned

It's not that I'm debating sending money to them or not, even if I had it. I am just posing a theoretical question to possibly clear up some confusion.

#332370 - 06/06/08 10:44 AM Re: Hypocritical or not? [Re: Pinko]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
Originally Posted By: Pinko
It's not that I'm debating sending money to them or not, even if I had it. I am just posing a theoretical question to possibly clear up some confusion.

There is no confusion. There is nothing to "clear up."

Just don't send in your money. We don't want it.

There is no place for you here. Now please, would you leave?

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#332372 - 06/06/08 10:47 AM Re: Hypocritical or not? [Re: Pinko]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
If you use the phrase "satanism" for every religion which is counter to Christianity then we would be talking about a LOT of different philosophies and founders.
LaVeyan satanism is the philosophy in which Anton LaVey began in 1966. He is the one who wrote "The Satanic Bible".
This is why I specifically used the words "LaVeyan Satanism" so that no one would be confused as to what sins I was referring to.
I understand that he used many different ideas and philosophies that had already been in practice, but the fact is he is the person who put it all together in some form of organization and applied the loose scramble of ideas into a meal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaVeyan_Satanism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satanic_Bible

We don't use the term Satanism "for every religion that is counter to Christianity."

That is why it remains simply "Satanism" as codified by Anton LaVey. There is no requirement to infer there are other kinds. Anything else is, by definition, something else. It's cut and dried.

Now please, take your leave of this place. It's not for you. Adios.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#332376 - 06/06/08 11:35 AM Re: Hypocritical or not? [Re: Pinko]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I wrote those very articles you linked to (in large part) so I think I know whereof I speak.

"LaVeyan Satanism" was a title forced by a handful of Wikipedia basement dwellers who have nothing better to do than argue daily over the origin of the term.

Nor am I convinced that you're asking some hypothetical question, you're actually just trying to see if you can catch us in a hypocrisy. Unfortunately for you, you can't, because the CoS does not recruit members, encourages no one to join, and rejects those that wish to join only to "fit in" or for social reasons. You may as well ask if buying your clothes at Macy's is conforming since others do the same, even if you may have exercised your personal tastes in selecting them.

#332381 - 06/06/08 12:06 PM Re: Hypocritical or not? [Re: Pinko]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Breathing oxygen is conformist, everyone is doing it.

Maybe you should stop.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#332392 - 06/06/08 01:04 PM Re: Hypocritical or not? [Re: Pinko]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

I don't have to act. You DON'T know what you are talking about.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#332427 - 06/06/08 05:50 PM Re: Hypocritical or not? [Re: Phineas]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Loc: Florida
Pinko, I'm taking this opportunity to remind you that you are a guest here and rudeness to our hierarchy will not be tolerated. This is not a public board and all who come stay at the discretion of the board owner and his appointed moderators.

In short, I' a pms-ing moderator with an itchy trigger finger on a ban button who'd like nothing more than for you to make my day.

Happy trails,

Y~

http://magistrayrainetwo.blogspot.com/

#332571 - 06/07/08 11:36 AM Re: Hypocritical or not? [Re: Pinko]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
It amuses me when people think this is some big "stumper" question or contradiction in Satanism.

Quote:

That's like going to an internet forum on fishing, and having to say "Oh and by 'bass' I mean the fish, not the musical instrument." We know who we are.

And is thus why WE have dibs on the term "Satanism". There was no actual, real-life applicable religion under that name before Anton LaVey and the Church of Satan. Thus terms like "LaVeyan Satanism" are reundant. The only purposes of using that term is from devil worshippers who to try to give credibility for what they're doing (they're NOT a different sect of the same religion), and for journalists who are too lazy or don't want to face history.

Getting back to the original question: no, paying a one-time fee for membership in an international organization that reflects one's religious and philosophical convictions, is not "conformity". It's just an act of literally putting one's money where one's mouth is. It's not like the Church of Satan demands social activity between members, or religious services, etc.

However, popular compulsive attitudes such as striving to never show affiliation or support for any idea with a label, or think that adopting any one-word descriptions is an act of conformity, do seem rather conformist.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#332595 - 06/07/08 01:29 PM Yes, Pinko, your question IS hypocritical. [Re: Pinko]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
A hypocrite is someone who says one thing but does something entirely different.

Your "question" is a thinly veiled but inadequate attempt at disinformation.

If taken seriously it is hypocracy.

If taken humorously it is still in bad taste.

Bye bye.

#333192 - 06/10/08 04:54 PM Re: Hypocritical or not? [Re: Pinko]
Discordia Offline

Loc: Oklahoma City
Please note only Moderators and members of the Priesthood are allowed to reply to topics posted here. All other replies will be deleted.

Edited by Bruja (06/10/08 05:52 PM)

View My Undercroft Profile

View My Myspace Profile

Forum Stats
12220 Members
73 Forums
44002 Topics
406143 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements