Topic Options
#33485 - 03/28/04 06:29 PM The frugal traveler's altar.
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Some times you don’t have the appropriated conditions, some times you are on the road (Or on the run) or temporary living in a hotel room. You don’t have all you’re belongings with you; you are only carrying a minimal baggage.

And you need to improvise a ritual chamber. You need to prepare an altar with a minimal of resources and a maximum of ingenuity and creativity… (Anyone can carry his Satanic Bible in a backpack, but some things like a sword or dagger are not a good idea to carry around)

What do you do?

I’d love to hear other Satanist's solutions should they find themselves in this situation.

#33486 - 03/28/04 06:40 PM Re: The frugal traveler's altar. [Re: Old_Pig]
Wile_E_Quixote Offline
CoS Member

Get hold of a sword hilt. Just as useful for the ritual as as a whole sword with the added effect that the sword's "blade" can be as fanciful as you can imagine.

#33487 - 03/28/04 06:51 PM Re: The frugal traveler's altar. [Re: Old_Pig]
Siatris Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Northern Colorado
The Baphmoet banner from the CoS Emporium folds nicely.

A small bell instead of a gong. Still follow the guidelines for appropriate sound. Check Hindi, Nepalese, or Tibetan stores; I have good luck with those.

A letter opener instead of a knife if you are worried about legal issues. There are plenty of pewter letter openers with neat designs out there.

Check Darkcandles.com for some smaller candles, white ones should be easy to find.

A small metal bowl is useful for burning any parchment or such.

Buy cone incense and a small burner for them.

Small chalices exist but you will probably need to look in pewter shops for them. Otherwise why not use a shot glass?

Carry this in a box that seperates into two pieces of same hieght, and set that upon any desk, stand or whatever works for your altar.

I've been putting together moveable altars for a while, and I've noticed that the basics are relatively easy. I am working on making a smaller sigil of the baphomet for designs sake since the banner is a bit large compared to everything else. Also hanging the banner requires pushpins for that moment and a piece of nice wood or metal would be great to set against a wall.

Hope that helps.

#33488 - 03/28/04 08:41 PM Re: The frugal traveler's altar. [Re: Old_Pig]
Caesar Offline

CoS Warlock

There's the ritual chamber "in the mind", as well as in your dreams, that can serve unique means to your ends.

#33489 - 03/29/04 03:38 AM Re: The frugal traveler's altar. [Re: Old_Pig]
Josephine007 Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Zero Point Field
Illuminations sells a nifty little travel candle for 'those who would like to relax in their hotel room'. It can be used for OTHER things as well. It is a small metal container with a lid. Just unscrew the lid and light. Fits in the palm of your hand. I usually throw a few of these in my makeup case. If you are staying at a halfway decent hotel you can go down to the bar and wink a wine goblet out of the bartender or waitress. This lovely hotel I staid at in Florida had these gorgeous margarita goblets...so I would order one of those from room service. I prefer a nice frozen margarita to wine any day, any way.

For other aesthetic needs, if you have a t-shirt with a baphomet on it, you could use that as an altar cloth or drape it over the mirror for background. Knives are tricky since you can't really fly with them any more but you could always pick one up where you are and then when you are done with the ritual have the hotel ship it back to your home so you can avoid the whole travel with a weapon hassle.

Finally, IF you are so inclined, Fed Ex does wonders. If you will be somewhere a while and really HAVE to have your altar, pack up some light essentials in a box and Fed Ex it to yourself at the hotel. It should be waiting for you when you arrive and you are good to go. Then when it is time to leave, just pack it back up and send it back home. I do alot of business travel and I live by Fed Ex for things. I ALWAYS take a large box and a prepaid label with me and then when I am ready to go I pack up all the crap I don't want to fuss with on the plane (seminar materials etc) and have the front desk send it on back for me. When I get back in the office the box is usually sitting on my desk and I did not have to hassle with dragging it through the airport or on the plane. No fuss, no muss.

#33490 - 03/29/04 10:06 AM Re: The frugal traveler's altar. [Re: Josephine007]
Shylock Offline

Loc: Tiki Land
I plan on going to Spain for an academic program this summer, and the issue of "how do I pack my vibrator/copy of SB/candles?" has come up (especially that first one ), even more so now that security is up because of the Madrid attacks. Do you think I could use this trick, or would there be a problem with sending stuff overseas that I wouldn't encounter with domestic shipping? This could save a lot of embarrassment & odd situations with program directors,etc.

--The Royal Me

#33491 - 03/29/04 10:41 AM Re: The frugal traveler's altar. [Re: Old_Pig]
Haman Caiaphas Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Spain
Mr. Lujardo:

Nowadays I spend more time and energy in order to perfect my Lesser Magic, so I do not perform the usual rituals very often. However, since I prefer to keep my religion in secret at home, I cannot perform the rituals as written in The Satanic Bible, nor I can have a ritual chamber by the moment. So, every time I do my works I must prepare the altar and then hide it all again. Thus, the only devices I usually prepare are:

- An image of the Baphomet in a DIN A4 sheet of paper,

- a large piece of thin cloth (black, of course) for covering the altar, and

- a black candle.

Anyway, I performed a standard ritual only once, and I had no problems to simply imagine not only the instruments such as the sword, but also to imagine the sound of the bell. There was a magnificent ritual chamber “in the mind”, as Mr. SP has pointed out. However, that took a considerable amount of energy in order to maintain the fantasy. Thus, as I said before, I decided to focus in Lesser Magic above all, at least by the moment.

As a complementary work, I have designed a ritual of my own, which is what I call a rite of exaltation, a sort of Black Mass of my own. I call it “Transformation into the Beast”, and it is inspired in the myth of the werewolf. As a psychodrama, I perform an imaginary transformation into a fierceful beast. The immediate effect of this ritual is extraordinary and very powerful. The idea, of course, is the exaltation of our animal nature. When I am done, I read the 18th Enochian Key and declare the ritual finished.

Sincerely,
Hermaion.

#33492 - 03/30/04 03:35 AM Re: The frugal traveler's altar. [Re: Shylock]
Josephine007 Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Zero Point Field
Hmmm. I normally don't travel overseas so I haven't done much of this type of shipping. My best suggestion would be to go to Fed Ex.com and read up on their international shipping information. Fed Ex folks are always pretty helpful so if the questions aren't answered just give them a call.

#33493 - 03/30/04 04:36 AM Re: The frugal traveler's altar. [Re: Caesar]
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Minnesota.
I like the "In the mind version" of the Ritual Chamber.

Travels well. You can use it "on the spot" so to speak. And the results can be quite astonishing.

I call it "Focused Daydreaming".

"“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

The Glorious Infernal Empire

#33494 - 03/30/04 05:23 AM Re: The frugal traveler's altar. [Re: Caesar]
Solomon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cincinnati
Absolutely true!

One can carry a grand hall filled with all the idolatries one could ever hope for, and no one would be the wiser. This has been my most effective means of ritualizing. A chamber totally "constructed" by me, that is only existent to me.

Not to mention the efficiency of it. Pack up and go.

Regards,
Solomon

All the way stars' green, gotta go.

#33495 - 03/30/04 03:18 PM Re: The frugal traveler's altar. [Re: Old_Pig]
Mason_Rust Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Michigan, USA
Ha ha! I was actually thinking about making a little joke about this topic in the humor section. At the steel factory I currently work at, there is a tiny little perfect isosceles trapezoid steel block. We use it for this and that, but it's not so important that if it went missing anyone would care. I thought about engraving it with a pentagram, painting it, and making a mini sword and chalice to go with it.

In my vision, I would have taken a photo and advertised it as the "Pocket Altar" for the Satanist on the go. Perfect for traveling, the airplane, hotel rooms, public restrooms, or even when the Satanist is dragged to some other religion's ceremony.

The idea gave me a chuckle, but wouldn't have really been worth the effort.

In a more serious reply to your question, I would say that likely the walkman would be the traveling Satanists greatest ally. That and of course his or her own imagination.

#33496 - 03/30/04 10:50 PM Re: The frugal traveler's altar. [Re: Old_Pig]
C_D_McKinna Offline
CoS Member

Loc: San Diego, CA
All you truly need, you carry with you.

"Well done is better than well said"

- Benjamin Franklin

#33497 - 03/31/04 05:53 AM Re: The frugal traveler's altar. [Re: Felstorm]
Eric_Flu Offline
CoS Member

Loc: USA
Quote:

I like the "In the mind version" of the Ritual Chamber.

Travels well. You can use it "on the spot" so to speak. And the results can be quite astonishing.

I call it "Focused Daydreaming".

I would agree with Felstorm. All you need is the Satanic mind.

#33498 - 04/01/04 01:54 AM Re: The frugal traveler's altar. [Re: Eric_Flu]
Felstorm Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Minnesota.
Don't get me wrong. I have a deep appreciation for a nice purpose built Ritual Chamber or altar that is given thought into it's aesthetics. Mason Rust's altar is one such example, in fact I am just a little envious of Mason's creation.

I am a person that is not to terribly attached to "things" as they are so transient and replacable. I seek to harness the power of the ritual chamber and put it to practical use "on the spot" so to speak. I'm starting to have some successes with my experiments. And I'm starting to like my "internal" Ritual Chamber.

Still, nothing quite takes the place of a good old fashioned psychodrama played out with flesh, blood, and raw emotion.

"“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine.” ~ Nikola Tesla

Are You One of Us?

The Glorious Infernal Empire

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44036 Topics
406365 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements