Topic Options
#335450 - 06/22/08 12:34 AM Mentor?
LIVE666EVIL Offline

Loc: South Carolina
So my wife and I were talkin tonight and we realize that there are just some aspects of Satanism that we can't yet do. Not only because we live with her parents but because we don't fully understand them, even after reading the text. So my question is, would someone like a mentor be a good idea to help move us along. Someone to show us the ropes. I mean I'm not even sure if that is possible. We just don't know where to start. We've read The Satanic Bible, The Satanic Scriptures and The Satanic Rituals and we're just not sure where to go from here. So what to do?

#335457 - 06/22/08 12:41 AM Re: Mentor? [Re: LIVE666EVIL]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

Loc: PA
I think you answered your own question. Not to sound clichÚ, but Satanism demands study and application. If you and your wife find your current residence a hindrance then it is time to move out.

#335460 - 06/22/08 12:45 AM Re: Mentor? [Re: LIVE666EVIL]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
Sir,

You seem like a level headed man.

Like I said in my other reply to you. Take your time.

There is no set schedule. Most people initially find Satanism overwhelming. And it's natural to feel that excited urge to really want to rush and grab it all. But a slow learning, where it all unfolds naturally to us as individuals is a solid path to take.

Don't feel the need to rush into ritual magic. That will come naturally if it's going to.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#335469 - 06/22/08 12:59 AM Re: Mentor? [Re: LIVE666EVIL]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:
So my wife and I were talking tonight and we realize that there are just some aspects of Satanism that we can't yet do.

If you are referring to ritual practice, be patient. You can always do the 13 steps in your mind. wink

Satanism is about self-discovery. If you agree with The Satanic Bible and see yourselves as Satanists, you're already there. You either relate to the literature or you don't. Don't force it.

No "mentoring" should be required. Read and learn.

#335597 - 06/22/08 10:28 AM Re: Mentor? [Re: HellofallHells]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
No mentoring or tutoring is required--and I even find the idea of out-and-out mentoring and tutoring a bit silly and creepy--but, of course, you may find it useful to talk to Satanists who have been around the block.

Many epiphanies and revelations require some kind of a catalyst--a book, a movie, a news article, a conversation. There are many things I have learned from fellow Satanists that I could not have discovered just by sitting and mulling things over all by my lonesome.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#335619 - 06/22/08 11:43 AM Re: Mentor? [Re: LIVE666EVIL]
Lust Offline

´┐ŻLove is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.´┐Ż
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#335720 - 06/22/08 05:20 PM Re: Mentor? [Re: LIVE666EVIL]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: LIVE666EVIL
We've read The Satanic Bible, The Satanic Scriptures and The Satanic Rituals and we're just not sure where to go from here. So what to do?

I highly doubt you read those books at all. If you did read them then you sure don't understand them.

If you need a "mentor" to show you the ropes on Satanism then you really need to reconsider your religion.

#335739 - 06/22/08 06:10 PM Re: Mentor? [Re: LIVE666EVIL]
WinterGoat Offline

Loc: WA State
Originally Posted By: LIVE666EVIL
because we don't fully understand them, even after reading the text. We've read The Satanic Bible, The Satanic Scriptures and The Satanic Rituals

It's simple, you either get it or you don't. TSB acts as a sort of mirror. If you see yourself reflected in it, then you MIGHT be. If you don't, then you most certainly AREN'T.

It is entirely up to you where you go in life. You shouldn't need someone to hold your hand and lead the way. You are it seems (at least physically) adults, right? Understand that? tired

Albert Schweitzer

They're persecuting what they can't stand to look at in themselves--the truth.

From the song Warlock
by The Electric Hellfire Club

TESLAMAP5

#335759 - 06/22/08 08:04 PM Re: Mentor? [Re: WinterGoat]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Quote:
No mentoring or tutoring is required--and I even find the idea of out-and-out mentoring and tutoring a bit silly and creepy--

While I agree that no mentoring or tutoring is 'required' I also on the same token do feel that a bit of mentoring can be helpful to some.

I can certainly understand how one may wish to speak with someone in the Priesthood for advise, questions, or even a bit of guidance.

The Good Doktor was himself a teacher. (At least to Me he was) as I have learned many valuable lessons from his writings. He has been places I have never been before, done things I have never done before and I feel that I have learned a great deal by studying his works and applying certain lessons into My own life.

So in a way, I would say that Dr. LaVey himself could be viewed by some as a mentor. (Make no mistake, I am not talking about worship but that of study). Highly respected by countless people his words/lessons have made a definite impact on many lives and will continue to keep doing so. Ever forward indeed.

I see it like this:

We all learn at our own pace, some are quicker on certain topics and some are not. Some may be a bit hesitant on issues such as higher magic. (Not wanting to 'goof something up' or out right simply having questions about a ritual).

Therefor in that aspect I feel a mentor is not such a bad thing if that person wishes to be one/or offers their assistance to another.

I find that a lot of questions that I have read in the Q&A forum have had much to do with greater magic/Ritual.

The advice a person may get (after asking of course) may be just what they needed to overcome an obstacle.

To say that I haven't ever doubted Myself or wondered if something I was about to do was the 'best' option I had would be a lie. This is where someone who has already walked through the fire can be of aid to another.

There are those who I highly respect who have forgotten more than I may ever hope to learn Myself, yet I keep cracking away at the books. I value their respected opinions and their advise.

As Reverend Bickley stated, take your time. Nobody has a stop watch running. Nobody is counting the moments for anyone to fully understand everything all at once. It CAN be overwhelming to some.

While no one hands out free cookies and milk (you have to do your own homework first ie. reading ALL of the materials available regarding your questions.

There are those who are qualified to answer CoS related questions that still may not be fully understood by the reader.

These qualified people are of course, the Priesthood. Some who have been studying for DECADES and Perhaps could give one another way of looking at things... a different perspective/a third angle if you will.

I see this all the time on these very forums. Sometimes (all though I feel the same way as another on a certain topic) they seem to have a better way of laying it down on the table making it easier to understand.

In any event, while I will say that after reading TSB I did find that it resonated with Me much like a reflecting mirror, I would by a liar if I said that I understood everything on the first read..or even the second...

Satanism requires study. Dr. A.S.L

Keep at it and you will be amazed at how each time you reread something, how much insight you gain. You may even learn something new that you may have missed/skipped over the first time.

You may find that you aren't a Satanist at all, who knows? However, if you find that you are not a Satanist, THAT IS OK!

Satanism is NOT for everyone.

I'll now leave this topic to those more qualified to answer your questions. I still Myself have more lessons to learn.

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#335765 - 06/22/08 08:43 PM Re: Mentor? [Re: Evil_Eve]
MissMina1556 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: USA
I, like Eve, have more lessons to learn. When I read TSB for the first time, I was astounded. I put the book down, and I had to sit quietly for quite some time. The book brought my whole life together. I had no doubts about anything, and I knew there was no turning back.

My mind is filled with questions. But, as I read the forums, one by one they are answered. There is no time limit. My answers come to me when the time is right.

I have since read TSB again. I had the same reaction. I knew I was home.

Something Eve said is very true. You may not be a Satanist. That's so OK. If you have read the books, but it just doesn't feel right yet. Keep reading more of Dr. LaVey's works. Also Magus Gilmore, Magister Paradise, and Nemo. But, there is so much out there to read.

I never had any thoughts on a mentor. I read and ask questions. Also, the books are my mentors.

I love to read.

Hang in there LIVE666EVIL, you may be surprised at how things work out for you.

Miss Mina 1556

#335773 - 06/22/08 09:37 PM Re: Mentor? [Re: TrojZyr]
Focalor Offline

Originally Posted By: TrojZyr
No mentoring or tutoring is required--and I even find the idea of out-and-out mentoring and tutoring a bit silly and creepy--but, of course, you may find it useful to talk to Satanists who have been around the block.

Many epiphanies and revelations require some kind of a catalyst--a book, a movie, a news article, a conversation. There are many things I have learned from fellow Satanists that I could not have discovered just by sitting and mulling things over all by my lonesome.

I agree. Having a mentor (interpreted as "guide") means that you must be shepherded and lead by that person. That's a shoe that doesn't quite fit for a rugged individualist. Having a elder and more experienced like-minded friend to lend honest and unbiased advice when you ask for it is always a plus. If there is a means to obtain a goal faster and it doesn't harm anyone or anything, then why not use it? If you don't currently know anyone who you would consider "wise and experienced" about a particular subject, especially Satanism, then there is no better place to receive advice than right here. There are plenty of folks here with lots of experience about different things, one of them is bound to have something useful to offer if approached correctly.

http://focalor.tastyspleen.net

#335943 - 06/23/08 01:37 PM Re: Mentor? [Re: Callier]
Lust Offline

"I highly doubt you read those books at all. If you did read them then you sure don't understand them.

If you need a "mentor" to show you the ropes on Satanism then you really need to reconsider your religion."

True, but one should consider some of the benefits of being a consultant. "The U.S. Department of Labor identifies 109,730 people as consultants, hauling in an average $86,910 per year."
Instead of turning someone who is seeking to better understand something, anything at all away. Why not charge them for your counsel?

Interesting Source
´┐ŻLove is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.´┐Ż
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#335952 - 06/23/08 02:37 PM Re: Mentor? [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
Quote:
Take your time.

There is no set schedule.

Best advice right there.

Just live your life and apply what you've learned. You may find such a simple approach more efficacious then you would think.

#335955 - 06/23/08 02:46 PM Re: Mentor? [Re: LIVE666EVIL]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
You may be somewhat taken aback by some of the comments in this thread. Given the individualistic nature of Satanism, the idea of a mentor is out of synch.

I will grant you this, however. If someone has done their homework, and shown a willingness to dig around for themself, there is a wealth of teachers to be found. Perhaps not mentors in the strict sense of the word; but, if somebody is willing to shuck the corn, there are a lot kernels to be found.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

Forum Stats
12221 Members
73 Forums
44002 Topics
406144 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements