Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#336160 - 06/24/08 11:27 AM Satanic Perspectives on the Paranormal
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
Greetings all

I was wondering about how the paranormal in general fits into the satanic perspective of individuals who'd care to answer.

I realize that there are many interpretations of what is and what isn't a paranormal event and that many of the so called documented cases were never met with a competent skeptic. What I'm interested in are individual perspectives on the possibilities that things might exist outside of our five senses' abilities to define them and possibly outside of current sciences' abilities to define them.

I notice that in the fiction and movies links on the COS website there are several ghost/paranormal/supernormal works cited (most of which I've read and adored smile ). I also have read the statements of many folks who define Satanism (including Dr. LaVey) and the consensus seems to me to be that there is a universal 'dark' force that is attractive to Satanists and represents a balancing force of nature. This force is, as yet, undefined and in darkness because most choose to not attempt to understand it. Do you feel that genuine paranormal events come from this space or are they simply good stories?

My own personal answer is that I'm ever the pragmatist. I fully admit that I do not understand the whole of the universe and I do in fact have trouble understanding even small parts of how the assembled collective that we call the universe functions. I have no idea of the breadth and depth of space and how it might possibly effect things down to an individual thought. From this perspective I can only say that maybe ghosts do exist, maybe there is a multi dimensional plane, an astral plane, and all manner of things that I have yet to see and understand. And maybe not.

As an epilogue to my query I'd like to offer a small bit of explanation. PLEASE don't take my referral to the COS website, and the works cited therein, as an attempt on my part to find some sort of 'loophole' in Satanic thought. I am relatively new to this course of study (though I've been studying philosophy, abstract thought, art, science, literature, and many of the dark corners that hide therein for all of my life) and have found my way to the COS by way of process of elimination.

For the first time in many years I am intellectually stimulated by a collective thought (in this case, Satanism) and am doing my own due diligence in investigation out of respect for your organizations as well as for purposes of remaining true to my own perspectives.

Thank you in advance to those who'd care to fill me in on their personal perspectives regarding the paranormal.

Thanks also to Magister Ventrue for the place to explore this in.

Edited by skullfarmer (06/24/08 11:30 AM)

#336194 - 06/24/08 01:28 PM Re: Satanic Perspectives on the Paranormal [Re: Fnord]
Lust Offline

"I was wondering about how the paranormal in general fits into the satanic perspective of individuals who'd care to answer."

A topic that is brought up quite a bit by those who are not so quick to let it go (to an extent). I find it interesting that people will pay large sums of money for investigations into personal accounts, and rarely receive any answers. The Secret Life of a Satanist by Blanche Barton, is a good source to start. Enjoy finding your answers.
´┐ŻLove is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.´┐Ż
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#336198 - 06/24/08 01:46 PM Re: Satanic Perspectives on the Paranormal [Re: Lust]
Fnord Offline

Originally Posted By: Tier Instinct

A topic that is brought up quite a bit by those who are not so quick to let it go (to an extent).

That's actually very perceptive of you. Perhaps I want to believe in something 'out there' despite available evidence indicating otherwise (for the most part).

I do have that book on my reading list but didn't realize it dealt with these kinds of issues/ideas. Thanks for the response and the tip.

#336199 - 06/24/08 01:52 PM Re: Satanic Perspectives on the Paranormal [Re: Fnord]
shadowraven213 Offline

Originally Posted By: skullfarmer
Perhaps I want to believe in something 'out there' despite available evidence indicating otherwise

Now where have I heard that before... smile

Seriously though at least your honest with yourself and thats always a good thing.

#336200 - 06/24/08 01:57 PM Re: Satanic Perspectives on the Paranormal [Re: shadowraven213]
Fnord Offline

Originally Posted By: shadowraven213
Perhaps I want to believe in something 'out there' despite available evidence indicating otherwise

Now where have I heard that before... smile

Seriously though at least your honest with yourself and thats always a good thing.

Well... not in the sense of some governing body though I see where you're going. More in the sense of something yet unexplained.

#336208 - 06/24/08 02:34 PM Re: Satanic Perspectives on the Paranormal [Re: Fnord]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis

I was wondering about how the paranormal in general fits into the satanic perspective of individuals who'd care to answer.

We run the gamut.
I think the only constant among Satanists is to verify for ourselves what is, and what is not.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#336213 - 06/24/08 03:59 PM Re: Satanic Perspectives on the Paranormal [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Fnord Offline

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster

We run the gamut.
I think the only constant among Satanists is to verify for ourselves what is, and what is not.

Thank you, just the type of direction I was looking for.

Coincidentally, I ran across an interview with Magus Gilmore where he discusses his perspectives (a bit) on aliens and ghosts. My own views very closely echo what he said so I'm ever closer to adopting the left hand path as my own. To be more precise, I'm ever closer to identifying with that which exists within me and always has.

Edited by skullfarmer (06/24/08 04:00 PM)

#336282 - 06/24/08 11:12 PM A hint. [Re: Fnord]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Quote:

Here is a hint:

Volume Two: Satanic Sorcery

#336283 - 06/24/08 11:13 PM Re: Satanic Perspectives on the Paranormal [Re: Fnord]
Philotechnic Offline

CoS Member

Loc: NC, US
I think it's interesting, personally speaking. However I doubt I'd waste huge amounts of time to be a "Ghost Buster" or an investigator. The experience alone of walking through abandoned places or whatnot is worth the time and effort.

While it is interesting to see footage or pictures of ghosts and whatnot, I require a bit more proof. Such as experiencing something myself is more substantial evidence for me regarding paranormal activity, as we live in the 2000's and things can be easily forged in pictures and video.

Until then, I'm a curious skeptic.

#336328 - 06/25/08 04:03 AM Re: Satanic Perspectives on the Paranormal [Re: Philotechnic]
Zardex Offline

Experiencing and understanding are two different things though.

If we experience something we cannot explain scientifically then we simply cannot know for sure what we experienced as our brains have not evolved to decode the absolute truth.
Most of these types of experiences ever reported do tend to have reasonable answers as to why they occur if we look in to cognitive neurology.

#336338 - 06/25/08 04:54 AM Re: Satanic Perspectives on the Paranormal [Re: Zardex]
FalloutGod Offline
Intellectual Black Hole

Yes, many religious theists experience things and use their experience to conclude what they believe is real. Sadly, no one else experiences those same things. Nor does everyone experience them. Faith is a silly thing.

#336650 - 06/26/08 12:23 PM Re: Satanic Perspectives on the Paranormal [Re: FalloutGod]
S810 Offline

Loc: northwest
You'll also find that the ones experiencing them are usually predisposed to the notion. For example I've never heard of a satanist being possessed. The power of suggestion is fun to watch.

#336704 - 06/26/08 02:58 PM Re: Satanic Perspectives on the Paranormal [Re: Fnord]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, no explanation will suffice"

Attributed to Joseph Dunninger.

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#336712 - 06/26/08 04:30 PM Re: Satanic Perspectives on the Paranormal [Re: Fnord]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

There is no official opinion because it is not the duty of Satanism as a religion to speculate on that which is not known.

Some avidly pursue such interests, others find it a waste of time.

#336724 - 06/26/08 05:45 PM Re: Satanic Perspectives on the Paranormal [Re: Fnord]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
As others have pointed out, there is no "official" stance per se on paranormal claims.

My own take is that as a Satanist, I am first of all against mysticism. And I also think most of the anecdotes and "testimonies" regarding the paranormal are bogus. Acedotes don't make me a believer any more than a glowing concert review would make me a fan of the band.

Having said that, I'm also not so quick as to dismiss all things under the umbrella term of "paranormal" as useless, nor my own "unexplained" subjective experiences as necessarily invalid. For example, I don't find anything metaphysical at all behind Tarot cards, but at the same time I think readings can be beneficial if done the right way. And while I don't believe in haunted houses, I think some of the observations attributed to allegedly haunted houses may have other explanations besides "ghosts", and that these are things you can learn to apply to other situations.

If you haven't read it yet, you may want to check out the essay "The Law of the Trapezoid" from The Devil's Notebook. Also the "astrology" section of The Satanic Witch.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ▄bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12283 Members
73 Forums
43883 Topics
404450 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements