Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#33640 - 03/31/04 12:19 PM News Sorce?
Eric_Flu Offline
CoS Member

Loc: USA
With everything that is going on with terror around the world. I'm curious to find out where most of you get your news from. I don't watch a lot of TV but I try to keep up on the news. I have found that depending on the sorce (Fox ,CNN, MSNBC...) you will get the news stations opinion of the news. Who do you feel you can get the most accurate news from?

#33641 - 03/31/04 09:19 PM Re: News Sorce? [Re: Eric_Flu]
Wonka Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The City of Red Lights
I get my news from C-SPAN and the Weekly World News.

By the way, you posted this in the wrong forum.

#33642 - 03/31/04 10:11 PM Re: News Sorce? [Re: Wonka]
Eric_Flu Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

I get my news from C-SPAN and the Weekly World News.

By the way, you posted this in the wrong forum.

Ahhh Damn it!

#33643 - 04/01/04 03:25 AM Re: News Sorce? [Re: Eric_Flu]
Dan_Dread Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
The National Enquirer and Entertainment Tonight.
"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike and yet it is the most precious thing we have." - Albert Einstein --------------------

#33644 - 04/01/04 12:54 PM Re: News Sorce? [Re: Eric_Flu]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Globally i like CNN and our Sky News. Also channel 4 and Newsnight.Question time and Jonathan Dimbleby is good for political discussions involving the audience. We get news reporters talking over people to have a go at them and put them down.For a topic a lot of the time it's really funny. I mean our news i don't know about in America does try and act as a check on the goverment like say the House of Lords is.

#33645 - 04/01/04 09:10 PM Re: News Sorce?
Eric_Flu Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Globally i like CNN and our Sky News. Also channel 4 and Newsnight.Question time and Jonathan Dimbleby is good for political discussions involving the audience. We get news reporters talking over people to have a go at them and put them down.For a topic a lot of the time it's really funny. I mean our news i don't know about in America does try and act as a check on the goverment like say the House of Lords is.

I have found that Fox News seems more right wing or conservative and CNN is more left wing or liberal. I guess it just depends what you want to hear.

#33646 - 04/02/04 11:44 AM Re: News Source? [Re: Eric_Flu]
mattevans Offline

Loc: Japan
Then watch both, read a couple of papers, look on the internet and come up with your own opinion. If you only listen to what you want to hear then you run the risk of not truly understanding why you have the opinion you have.

#33647 - 04/02/04 05:08 PM Re: News Source? [Re: mattevans]
Wonka Offline
CoS Member

Loc: The City of Red Lights
With most news, your exposed to stories that don't need your opinion. It's all just fodder that haunts people long after the Television has been turned off.

Watch only what effects you and your environment and you will suddenly find yourself with more time and energy to put into your goals and projects.

#33648 - 04/02/04 08:40 PM Re: News Source? [Re: mattevans]
Eric_Flu Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

Then watch both, read a couple of papers, look on the internet and come up with your own opinion. If you only listen to what you want to hear then you run the risk of not truly understanding why you have the opinion you have.

Of corse you are quite correct. However if each sorce has a different view it does not matter what your opinion is. Its sad that now more then ever you CANT rely on the media for accurate reporting. I think every Satanist knows he needs to make up his own mind and come to his own conclusion. I would never suggest believing one sorce just curious as to what you all think.
Hail Satan!!

#33649 - 04/02/04 09:14 PM Re: News Sorce? [Re: Dan_Dread]
Eric_Flu Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

The National Enquirer and Entertainment Tonight.

It seems like the National Equirer is just as reputable as CNN or the NY Times.

#33650 - 04/02/04 09:30 PM Re: News Sorce? [Re: Eric_Flu]
Eric_Flu Offline
CoS Member

He that is slow to believe anything and everything is of great understanding, for belief in one false principle is the beginning of all unwisdom. ASL

#33651 - 04/03/04 04:09 AM NPR [Re: Eric_Flu]
Josephine007 Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Zero Point Field
I don't think anyone has mentioned NPR.

I listen to this alot although I don't necessarily share the opinion of a majority of their angles or callers. But it is interesting because alot of time they will go alot more in depth then the typical 30 second sound bite on the story. They also tend to get some decent people for their interview or debate shows and often you will hear some interesting new perspectives or commentary.

I tend to watch the local ABC news affiliate in the morning as I get up at 0400 and there is not much else on. Mostly for weather and traffic and to see what the herd is going to get it's panties in a bunch about that day. Keep in mind that in my dealings WITH the media....about the only parts of the newscast I take seriously are the cooking segments or local entertainment pieces.

I usually switch to FOX at 0700 to keep up on the traffic before I leave and because I can't stand the National shows that come on then. It's like they can't decide what to report on....the intricacies of Wall Street or who J Lo is sucking off this week. Make up your mind.

On the way to work I listen to WTOP (local news station) and NPR.

At work I have CNN alerts to my desktop and often browse CNN.com while I eat lunch or sit on an especially boring conference call. I have noticed that CBS Market Watch does get their email alerts about the news out alot faster then CNN sometimes. They beat them about the Tyco mistrial yesterday by abot five minutes. Not that I care. Just find it amusing. Like watching snails race.

Same news on the way home. In the evening we somtimes watch the evening news if a big snow storm is coming or something interesting happened but I usually don't fuss with it until the morning again.

There are other news sources availiable to those in this area with certain types of access and clearance and for IMPORTANT news...I pick up my phone or drive to another site. 99% of the time the REAL facts and data are not on the tv or radio and you are never gonna have them unless you know who to talk to. Like the Chandra Levey deal. You find out a hell of alot more over a cup of coffee with a cop in the department then the news will ever tell you. Same with government contractors...every once in a while the Post or some other source will get a nugget but it is so filtered and watered down or skewed by the time they get it, it's hard not to laugh.

Nah, for REAL news I go to the source or someone involved. THEN you get the good stuff. 99% of the news on TV is so far from things or has such a spin on it that it is useless. ANyone who knows how CNN was used in the first Gulf War knows what I mean. And remember the whole DC Sniper thing? LOL I worked on that and was in the briefings for our department and it was almost hysterical what the news was doing vs what was really going on.

#33652 - 04/03/04 08:42 AM Re: NPR [Re: Josephine007]
Eric_Flu Offline
CoS Member

I think you hit the nail on the head

#33653 - 04/03/04 10:19 AM Caution: Experienced readers only! [Re: Eric_Flu]
Flavius Offline
CoS Member

Loc: BridgePort
After you've soaked in the typical corporate-sponsored broadcast skimover, and want to find contrary views in profusion, head over to Common Dreams.

Yes, you'll find screaming leftist headlines about how the sky is falling this week and how Osama has been hiding in Bush's underwear drawer all along.

But after years of following this site, I've noticed something: Most of the scandals and "discoveries" that eventually break into mainstream news have been thoroughly suggested, announced, supported and discussed on Common Dreams months before.

Even if you hate everything Common Dreams says, and don't believe a word of it (initially), the site is very handy, as it has links to every major wire service and online versions of major newspapers, as well as government sources. The "Inside Washington" section alone is worth its weight in gold. Even the most rigid Bushite will find those links useful.

Discriminate with care and you'll find Common Dreams to be an invaluable addition to your other news sources. It's certainly no more full of shit than Fox.

#33654 - 04/03/04 01:07 PM Re: News Sorce? [Re: Wonka]
Abbott Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Atlantic City,NJ
I go back and forth.Usually my main regular source is the evening news with Peter Jennings ABC. And when the report is on some topic that disinterests my taste I go to Fox or CNN. If you haven't noticed by now I'm a Politics junkie, which makes it hard to stay loyal to one station, so checking out new sources and the use of shortwave radio for international broadcasts like BBC and Voice of America satisfy my curiousity, when things seem out of control here at home on the newsfront. But overall the media is full of inconsistent half truths and misinformation, so reading between the lines is a skill needing much practice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
12195 Members
73 Forums
43973 Topics
405993 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements