Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#338669 - 07/06/08 03:17 PM Re: Psychology question [Re: Emerald]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Ah! I would say you believe in "energy exchange" because you are human. Reciprocation seems to be hardwired into human beings, though some religions (like Wicca and Christianity) may emphasize it more, and apply it on a metaphysical level.

As for how I feel about volunteers, it often depends on three things:

1) Their particular cause
2) Their methods and means, and their understanding of them
3) Their motives and thought process, and their understanding of them.

I think some causes are stupid, fruitless, or sometimes, even bad; I think some methods and means are useless and unproductive; and I think some people are driven by or tethered to goodguy badges, profound personal guilt, and rose-coloured glasses.

But, volunteering can be a perfectly good thing, and people who volunteer sometimes keep vital systems running smoothly. I may not necessarily be that kind of person--though I imagine it depends on the cause--but I still realize that it takes all kinds to keep the world goin' 'round.

Certainly, I resent it when people try to get me to volunteer for something against my will, or otherwise force me to be compassionate or "aware." (Compulsory compassion is scarcely compassion at all!) I also am extremely uncomfortable with the idea "resume/application padding," that is, participating in extracurricular activities or volunteering just to give the appearance of being a well-rounded, busy, compassionate, or experienced person.

Certainly, there are things I like to do, things I can do well, and things I need to do, so of course I'm not keen on the things that cause me to veer off that path, so to speak.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#338707 - 07/06/08 07:00 PM Re: Psychology question [Re: TrojZyr]
Emerald Offline

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Hear, hear indeed.

#338725 - 07/06/08 09:33 PM Re: Psychology question [Re: Emerald]
Zardex Offline

Oh yeah an Satanists do not have to agree with each other either. laugh ...quite on the contrary applying the tools of Satanism as a personal meta tribe institution in ones life seems to strongly discourage conformity.
I like Psychology too. Mostly Evolutionary Sociology and Cognitive Neuropsychology. Satanism itself isn't outside the scope of critical study as an institution from the sociology standpoint.

#338892 - 07/07/08 05:42 PM Re: Psychology question [Re: Zardex]
Emerald Offline

Thank you for your point of view as well. I have always designated myself as a non-conformist which doesn't go over very well in the military world of which I am a part. It is very difficult to maintain individuality in such a setting.

It seems that the higher in rank people go, the more ignorant they become. I have less trouble playing "follow the leader" if the leader is at least intelligent and discerning in his or her decisions. Unfortunately, this is not the case very often.

On a slightly different note, I find that most people in the military world are extremely elitist which falls much more in line with Satanic principle than the Christian horseshit that is espoused as the "backbone of the Army". Almost every Christian military man I've come in contact with cheats on his spouse which just absolutely boggles my mind. If you are going to stand on Christian morals and values, then please do so. You will ultimately garner more respect in my eyes. If you are not going to stand on your values, then please don't preach to me that you do when I know damn well you are fucking your office secretary.

#341241 - 07/20/08 08:46 AM Re: Psychology question [Re: Emerald]
Posthuman Offline

Loc: Seattle
A subcategory of greater Psychology that dovetails with lesser magic is "Influence Psychology"

Edited by Posthuman (07/20/08 08:47 AM)

#341468 - 07/21/08 03:23 PM Re: Psychology question [Re: Emerald]
Pirate Offline

I see psychology and sociology as equally valuable or perhaps even moreso than the other sciences. Civilization operates through the mechanics of human interaction. The more acutely one is able to understand these processes the sharper their advantage and the better they are equipped for success in their endeavors. Learned psychology can be applied wherever communication exists. This is true for our furry little companions as well.

#341565 - 07/22/08 01:17 AM Re: Psychology question [Re: Emerald]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Emerald
Is there an official stance on the study of psychology? [...] I am working through the Satanic Bible at this point.

p52-53

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#341702 - 07/22/08 07:23 PM Re: Psychology question [Re: Emerald]
pure_truth Offline

Originally Posted By: Emerald

It seems that the higher in rank people go, the more ignorant they become. I have less trouble playing "follow the leader" if the leader is at least intelligent and discerning in his or her decisions. Unfortunately, this is not the case very often.

I have also spent a 8 years in the Army. There is nothing more upsetting than an idiot except a leader that is an idiot. Leaders are in a position to manipulate regardless if they want to or not. And the most dangerous thing the "herd" can have is a stupid illogical leader.

Roaming aimlessly grazing is one thing, a stampede can kill even the most powerful.

Hail me!

#341845 - 07/23/08 07:42 PM Re: Psychology question [Re: Bill_M]
Emerald Offline

Thank you for the information. I will check it out.

#341846 - 07/23/08 07:43 PM Re: Psychology question [Re: pure_truth]
Emerald Offline

Agreed.

#341952 - 07/24/08 12:25 PM Re: Psychology question [Re: Emerald]
Descendant Offline

Loc: Inland Empire, Ca
You can't help people that aren't ready to be helped. When a person is able to realize that the true cause of their plight is themselves and not necessarily the circumstance, then they might be able to look at their reflection and take responsibility for what they see. To look inward is more difficult than to blame outward.

#341964 - 07/24/08 01:33 PM Re: Psychology question [Re: Descendant]
Emerald Offline

Very true. However, as a psychologist, I would be happy to take a person's money for my professional services if they think I can help them. Whether or not they are ready to hear what I have to say is irrelevant at that point. All I can do is put my $40,000 worth of college education into practice.

#341981 - 07/24/08 03:55 PM Re: Psychology question [Re: Emerald]
Descendant Offline

Does that mean that you have to play into people's weaknesses if you realize that there is no hope for repair. Is part of the business to switch from "serious-skill" mode to "not serious-in one ear/out the other" mode, I would think that you would have to do that to be able to tolerate such weakness on a consistent basis. I would think that there are more who can't be rehabilitated than who can, thinking that is why I wonder about how professionals like yourself deal with the majority of your customers..And then there are the ones who finally see the big-picture, and they make it all worth it.

#342004 - 07/24/08 06:25 PM Re: Psychology question [Re: Descendant]
Emerald Offline

Let me throw out there that I am not a full-fledged psychologist yet. Right now I am doing "volunteer" work to get my clinical hours in. I am working at the Veteran's Administration in my town so most of the people who actually come to me desperately want help (soldiers with post traumatic stress, husbands and wives who are adjusting to married life with a military member, etc.) I really haven't encountered anyone who hasn't liked or not taken my advice so I'm sure how I would react just yet. I suppose if they kept coming to me and kept paying, I would just keep on talking and do the best I could.

#342109 - 07/25/08 01:06 PM Re: Psychology question [Re: Emerald]
Descendant Offline

At least now you are working with Veterans, who for the most part have legitimate issues. I would say though that your biggest challenge will be the one where you have to council the pathetic 30 year old who doesn't have a pot to piss in and blames everybody in the world for his set-backs in life and isn't willing to take an ounce of responsibility for anything. Sorry, one of those just passed in front of my eyes while I was typing this......

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
13165 Members
73 Forums
44441 Topics
407319 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold