Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#338447 - 07/05/08 02:54 PM Psychology question
Emerald Offline

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Is there an official stance on the study of psychology? I see a lot of attention paid to the arts, sciences, mathematics and so on but nothing with any of the more "social studies". I would think that the study of psychology would give insight into the animalistic nature of man and therefore be a boon in one's path as it regards to Satanism. I myself am about to receive my bachelor's in psychology within the next six months.

As a note, I am very new to the path. I have read The Satanic Witch and I am working through the Satanic Bible at this point. Thank you in advance to all who answer this thread.

#338453 - 07/05/08 03:20 PM Re: Psychology question [Re: Emerald]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
Hello

I certainly wouldn't think it a study inappropriate to Satanism at all. In fact, I would think that an understanding of psychology would, as you've alluded to, help to facilitate the practice of lesser magic.

#338456 - 07/05/08 03:29 PM Re: Psychology question [Re: Emerald]
The_Lightning Offline

Loc: Israel
Quote:
Is there an official stance on the study of psychology?

When they say that "Satanism requires study" they don't mean "learn your scriptures"- they mean that being an efficient and powerful being requires actively gaining knowledge about the world you live in.

There are no sacred cows in Satanism, and therefore no kind of knowledge one should stay away from, according to it.
Also, Satanism is about rational hedonism- so if you find acquiring knowledge in some field to be profitable for you- you should defiantly peruse it!

Anyhow, I know quite a handful of Satanists who study psychology/sociology.
I myself am a psychology student, and find the subject extremely interesting and very valuable.
Lesser magic is, after all, about knowing the minds of people around you and how they function.

Edited by The_Lightning (07/05/08 03:31 PM)
Edit Reason: a little late with that reply I see

#338458 - 07/05/08 03:34 PM Re: Psychology question [Re: The_Lightning]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I'm planning on getting my doctorate in clinical psychology, and I honestly don't understand people who aren't interested in it!

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#338459 - 07/05/08 03:49 PM Re: Psychology question [Re: TrojZyr]
DickSteele Offline
CoS Warlock

I am a psychology student as well. I will be recieving my Bachelor degree in a few short months also.

Before I started studying Psychology in college I had "field experience", adding "book smarts" helped me to understand "why".

Understanding and applying Psychology puts you above the majority of the population and especially the herd in many ways.

Psychology is a component of lesser magic, knowing yourself and others helps in so many ways.

#338487 - 07/05/08 05:46 PM Re: Psychology question [Re: Emerald]
Entity Offline

CoS Reverend

Loc: Avalon UK
Quote:
Is there an official stance on the study of psychology?

The study of psychology is legal. wink It requires no "official stance".

The application of psychology seems a more useful discussion.

In The Devil's Notebook, Dr LaVey stated, "The true test of anyone's worth as a living creature is how he can utilize what he has."

So, how will you employ what you've studied?

And don't try deflecting my question by asking about my Mother. coopdevil

Nothing is better than to live according to one's taste. - François Villon

Test Everything. Believe Nothing.

#338546 - 07/06/08 12:11 AM Re: Psychology question [Re: Entity]
Emerald Offline

Well, from a idealogical point of view, I will use it to assist people in becoming greater than they are. To awaken to their own innate powers, to become empowered, and better their lives. No more "woe is me" crap and "I can't move forward because of what my mother did to me as a child" crap. My goal is to empower people--to extend themselves out to reach the fullness of what life has to offer them.

From a materialistic point of view, I will use it also to make a lucrative income to support myself and my family.

#338547 - 07/06/08 12:12 AM Re: Psychology question [Re: Fnord]
Emerald Offline

I'm assuming that the difference between lesser and greater? higher? magic will be explained in The Satanic Bible? I may not have gotten that far yet.

#338548 - 07/06/08 12:15 AM Re: Psychology question [Re: DickSteele]
Emerald Offline

I received "field experience" as well from my time spent in the military. It is amazing the different peoples, philosophies, ideologies, and so on that are out there. I have learned how to deal with and get along with so many different people from different ages, backgrounds, religions, and cultures.

#338588 - 07/06/08 08:03 AM Re: Psychology question [Re: Emerald]
Fnord Offline

Loc: Texas
Indeed, read on.

Also Magister Harris did a podcast on the subject on 6-17.

#338589 - 07/06/08 08:10 AM Re: Psychology question [Re: Emerald]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

Yes.

Study first, then ask. wink

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#338590 - 07/06/08 08:12 AM Re: Psychology question [Re: Emerald]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Good for you.

You should know that the road will be hard in spots, and that some people will absolutely never come around. For every person who does take your advice and become better, there'll be at least a dozen who either ignore you entirely, or nod their heads enthusiastically but still fail to apply what you've just told them. When a person does succeed, though--or when you become known for giving good advice and counseling--you feel like a million bucks.

Regarding field experience--I sometimes fear that my own field experience won't be seen as legitimate. While I'm sure I may often know as much or even more than the average bright-eyed kid who volunteered a year at the rape crisis center or the free clinic or the homeless shelter, his resume may look more appealing and impressive than mine, because I've only volunteered in one professional setting. So, I fear that the hard part will be to convince schools that a lifetime of reading psychology books, counseling friends, and observing people is equal to or sometimes even greater than volunteering at a mental hospital for a year.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#338627 - 07/06/08 10:59 AM Re: Psychology question [Re: Phineas]
Emerald Offline

Am in the process of doing and will do. Thank you.

#338628 - 07/06/08 11:05 AM Re: Psychology question [Re: Fnord]
Emerald Offline

I will do so. I discovered the Satanism Today podcast this morning and listened to Magister Harris' podcast from earlier this week. I was very impressed with his intelligence and point of view on subjects. I will check out the other podcast you recommended later today. Thank you.

#338630 - 07/06/08 11:29 AM Re: Psychology question [Re: TrojZyr]
Emerald Offline

I myself despise volunteer work unless in some way it garners me an end. I am a "recovering Wiccan" and I still believe that some form of energy exchange is necessary for the skills I possess. I always hated when people would ask me for counsel, assistance in ritual work, spells, etc. without offering me some sort of compensation in the end. Only one person in my 3 years of being a Wiccan High Priestess offered to mow my grass in exchange for some counsel (they were indeed very poor and I have a rather large yard. Fair exchange in my book I say). However, I digress....

I do have the utmost respect for those who feel that they are fulfilling a life purpose by volunteering. In some way they are attaining a goal that they have whether it be an internal or external one. I just don't have it in me to do it. Perhaps this is your sentiment as well?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
13160 Members
73 Forums
44435 Topics
407306 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold