Topic Options
#341440 - 07/21/08 11:30 AM Appetite for Destruction
ror Offline
CoS Member

Loc: DracUR, Kalifornien: Yay Area
DestructoTherapy Aggression Sessions
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,369885,00.html
http://sterling-magazine.com/2007/11/01/appetite-for-destruction/

Destruction Therapy, or Destructotherapy, was founded in 2003 by three Spanish entrepreneurs who wanted to offer a way to relieve participants' pent-up rage at office life — in an outdoor, supervised setting.

The "patients" pay for the chance to choose from a variety of tools, which they then use to whack the crap out of objects gathered from junkyards and other sources, which reported that the sessions typically last about an hour. About 40 percent of participants are women.

With guidance from Destructoterapia employees, they go through a series of violent actions to release the beast within. “It’s a safe and controlled way to liberate stress and anger without hurting or shouting at people around you, like your family, friends or colleagues,” says founder Charwani. He calls it “supervised anti-violence”. The idea is that the destruction therapy helps relieve pent up physical tension and, after a while, the act of destruction becomes something of a game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbNYGmZvbVo

#341442 - 07/21/08 11:42 AM Re: Appetite for Destruction [Re: ror]
LanceAlton Offline

Loc: Delphi
Nice!

I drove an old '94 Ford Taurus for a long time before purchasing My first new car a couple years back.

The Taurus drove Me up the wall. I had to replace the water pump twice, and it was always dying on the road when I needed it most. At the end of its life, I knew I couldn't get any money for it, so I donated it to a local nonprofit who was hosting a Halloween carnival here in town. They took the windows out, and we had an all out car bash. They let Me take the first twenty whacks at it with a baseball bat (which I broke on the car), and a sledge hammer.

This was one of the most gratifying experiences I have ever had.

I just kept thinking of that damn water pump!

#341480 - 07/21/08 04:49 PM Re: Appetite for Destruction [Re: ror]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
I guess those who are unable to create anything have not other choice than destroy something to manage the stress...

#341497 - 07/21/08 06:05 PM Re: Appetite for Destruction [Re: Old_Pig]
Hixem Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I am able to create plenty, but I savored an "Office Space" moment with a temperamental printer just a few weeks ago. It was destined for the scrap pile anyway, so I indulged in the cathartic psycho-drama.

I feel ya, LanceAlton.

#341500 - 07/21/08 06:14 PM Re: Appetite for Destruction [Re: Hixem]
Malcontent Offline
CoS Member

Very therapeutic. I don't think it has anything to do with one's ability to create or produce. It's good "run the horses" now and then, and go ape shit on something to let what's pent up back out.

#341512 - 07/21/08 07:28 PM Re: Appetite for Destruction [Re: Hixem]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Originally Posted By: Hixem
I am able to create plenty, but I savored an "Office Space" moment with a temperamental printer just a few weeks ago. It was destined for the scrap pile anyway, so I indulged in the cathartic psycho-drama.

I feel ya, LanceAlton.

I don't understand some people's need to vent anger on an inanimate object.

When I have a mechanical device I don't need anymore, I dismantle it piece by piece and try to learn how it works. Smashing it wold not bring me any kind of satisfaction.

#341581 - 07/22/08 04:10 AM Re: Appetite for Destruction [Re: Old_Pig]
Malcontent Offline
CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Tha_Pig
Originally Posted By: Hixem

I feel ya, LanceAlton.

I don't understand some people's need to vent anger on an inanimate object.

When I have a mechanical device I don't need anymore, I dismantle it piece by piece and try to learn how it works. Smashing it wold not bring me any kind of satisfaction.

That isn't the point. It's not about having a device that doesn't work anymore and subsequent the need or desire to repair it and gain knowledge from the process. It's exactly what Hixem said. It's psycho-drama.

Peter Gilmore has said in interviews that one goes into a ritual chamber and sticks pins in a doll, or screams and shouts, etc... It's the exact same thing. If you don't understand that, then oh well, each to his own. But psycho drama is exactly what it is, and it's good for you sometimes.

#341582 - 07/22/08 04:54 AM Re: Appetite for Destruction [Re: ror]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
There is a certain appeal to physical destruction that one cannot always get if you work in an office. I must say that once in a while it does feel good when a friend calls you over to help tear down their old kitchen before redecorating or getting rid of a really large bamboo plant in their garden.

The previous customer I worked on had actually put up a punching bag like thingy that you could go hit if a particular bug (or management decision) gave you the urge to hit something.

But again, if your work situation often gives you the urge to hit things you might want to take other action as well.

#341625 - 07/22/08 09:12 AM Re: Appetite for Destruction [Re: verszou]
precision Offline

The destruction I cause as a relief of stress is more in the minds of the ones causing me stress. I transfer the frustration in very subtle ways that I really only do and not communicate.

I also tend to lean towards sex as gratification of both lust and anger.

#341784 - 07/23/08 11:08 AM Re: Appetite for Destruction [Re: precision]
Raine Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I wonder f the same thing couldn't be achieved by a good hard workout? I've found that, for me, any sort of physical activity is good for dealing with both stress and anger, but the majority of office workers are so sedentary anymore, paying somebody for permission to destroy something may be one of the only outlets for physical activity that they have.

I've been tempted to destroy computers/printers before, but I've found a good hill run or just some kickboxing practice gets it out, and makes me feel better later [not to mention the fitness/weight loss benefits], while sparing me the additional aggravation of having to replace the equipment later. When they're worn out, I don't dismantle things piece-by-piece, but I do tend to save certain parts t use for other projects and reuse them for various applications [the countersunk power cord plugs are useful for all sorts of things].

#341797 - 07/23/08 12:53 PM Re: Appetite for Destruction [Re: Raine]
Pirate Offline

You couldn't pay me enough to be a suited monkey in a cubicle cage. Such simple destruction rituals wouldn't be able to keep me in check either.

I would call this "Herd Maintainence".

Edited by Pirate (07/23/08 12:54 PM)
Edit Reason: grammatical errors

#343614 - 08/03/08 02:17 PM Re: Appetite for Destruction [Re: ror]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Interestingly, some research has seemingly indicated that venting one's rage on an object (or worse, a living thing) like this does not in fact resolve those feelings, or put them to bed--in fact, it can even make them more intense and longer-lasting!

Check this out:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=anger+management+bullshit&hl=en&sitesearch=#

Of course, sometimes it feels good to chimp out, even if it doesn't actually help matters. It can feel good to get angry, make yourself angrier, and then have a all-out explosive hissy fit. I enjoy it now and then myself. But, feeling good doesn't necessarily equate to feeling better, realize.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#343624 - 08/03/08 04:13 PM Re: Appetite for Destruction [Re: TrojZyr]
Zardex Offline

I prefer feeling the emotion and allowing it to intensify concentrating on experiencing and analyzing it.

It's not as difficult as it sounds, the only hard part is realizing you're experiencing an emotion, the emotion itself will provide strength to your will to stay in control once you allow it to become the center of your focus.

Don't allow fear of your emotion to turn you away from immersing in it, rather realize the fear is you and you have nothing to fear from yourself, from allying yourself with the fear, becoming what you feel.
You will not have time to screw up and do anything stupid in your rage if all your focus is on the emotion itself.

Once you identify the emotion accurately you can realize why you are 'doing' the emotion and you will have taken command of it.
You may think emotions are stronger then you, that you cannot command them, but then you have misunderstood what 'you' are.

The self is just an illusion, a collaboration of several unconscious layers of your mind, and the "you" has more power then you might think in deciding what's conscious and what isn't (in effect deciding who you are) and what employment you set for your emotions.

The only downside to this is that you may not want to use it on all emotions too often for it often leads to an irritatingly calm and tranquil feeling just when you're really enjoying the power in the stream of your strongest emotions.

Edited by Zardex (08/03/08 04:40 PM)

#343655 - 08/03/08 07:10 PM Re: Appetite for Destruction [Re: ror]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
There is actually a Japanese company that allows people to take a bat into a room of vases, lamps and whatever and wreck the hell out of it; I don't recall the name of the company. But regardless of whether this is actually therapeutic, it has certainly become popular. I have no doubt it is fun.

#345359 - 08/11/08 07:06 AM Re: Appetite for Destruction [Re: Raine]
DarkApollyon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Brighton, England
Originally Posted By: Raine
I wonder f the same thing couldn't be achieved by a good hard workout? I've found that, for me, any sort of physical activity is good for dealing with both stress and anger, but the majority of office workers are so sedentary anymore, paying somebody for permission to destroy something may be one of the only outlets for physical activity that they have.

I find that hard physical exercise - be it running, martial arts, circuit training or something else that takes my fancy is very effective for managing my stress/anxiety levels.

Not only does it release pent up energy (I work in retail so my job is not particularly demanding on the physical front!), the chemicals released during a workout have a noticeable positive effect on my mood, not only decreasing any stresses I might have been feeling but also increasing my capacity to deal with future stress that may arise - I guess it's all down to those good ol' endorphins again smile

I get the feeling I wouldn't get the same kind of release from just destroying something, but can see how others might find it therapeutic.

#345766 - 08/12/08 09:03 PM Re: Appetite for Destruction [Re: ]
HorrorCore Offline

Loc: WA
I loved smashing up old VCR's and TV's stuff with a bat.... When I was in junior high.... I couldn't see myself, or an adult actually paying to break things though.

#345824 - 08/13/08 05:50 AM Re: Appetite for Destruction [Re: ror]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
If the object is simply to relieve tension, then, sure, exercise is fine. But, if you have the good fortune to have to come into contact with people beyond your control, you just can’t beat destroying things. I think there is good reason for that; but I will save that for later. Consider the number of times you witness someone driving in such a way, it is obvious they are trying to cause an auto accident. I know of more than one incident when someone quickly changed lanes, for the sole purpose of causing the person behind them to run into the car in front of them. It would probably be safer to take up a sledge.

Probably.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#346504 - 08/16/08 07:04 AM Re: Appetite for Destruction [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
ParaBellum Offline

Loc: Plausibly deniable
I always try to make any destructive act of mine have a practical purpose. My friend had gotten himself a new computer, and was just going to throw away the old CPU tower. Since he lives out in the country, he decided to have a little target practice. He got his .44, I brought my 1911 and we had a little fun. Not much of that computer was left, I'll say. Kind of a two birds with one stone thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Forum Stats
13166 Members
73 Forums
44448 Topics
407329 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold