Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#342474 - 07/28/08 10:06 AM From the News: Church shooting
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
"An unemployed man accused of opening fire with a shotgun and killing two people at a Unitarian church apparently targeted the congregation out of hatred for its liberal social policies, police said Monday."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080728/ap_on_re_us/church_shooting

I couldn't help but to think of this quote:

"I'm not worried about guns in school. You know what I'm waiting for? Guns in church. That's gonna be a lot of fun. And it'll happen. You watch. Some nut will go fuckin' apeshit in church, and they'll refer to him as a "disgruntled worshipper."
- George Carlin

Edited by Ygraine (07/28/08 10:22 AM)
Edit Reason: Inflammatory Title in Public Area

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ▄bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#342487 - 07/28/08 11:31 AM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Bill_M]
Malcontent Offline
CoS Member

Even before I opened this thread, I thought immediately of what George Carlin had said.

Given time, he might be looked back upon as a Socrates of his time... only better.

#342537 - 07/28/08 09:01 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Malcontent]
Maya Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New England
Apparently, this guy was disgruntled because he didn't have a job. From what I read, he left a four-page letter in his residence stating his anger that "liberals and gays" were stealing all the jobs. He was also upset that his allocation of food stamps had recently been reduced.

I found it hilarious that he was angry with the very people who support the social welfare programs that apparently did not meet his standards. It just goes to show you that you don't have to be a liberal to be a whiny bitch.

#342551 - 07/28/08 11:41 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Bill_M]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
I heard the news this morning from a co-worker. At the moment there was not much information about the killer and his motives, so the guy instantly made his own conclusions: "That was probably a Satanist"

Of course, I controlled the rage inside me and didn't say much. I'm used to peoples' ignorance...

But I can't wait for tomorrow to inform him the killer was actually another good Christian doing his God's job.

#342612 - 07/29/08 09:39 AM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Old_Pig]
Hixem Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Several years ago, a soldier returning from overseas took a shotgun into a local Italian restaurant and started shooting the patrons and wait staff. He was also upset at gays taking jobs--in the military. Not that the seated diners and employees were in the military--or neccessarily gay.

It is interesting that some arbitrary group is always to blame for the conditions of the broken and violent. If it isn't the illegal immigrants taking jobs, it's the gays and liberals.

I suppose the mind can go only so far in its attempts to displace responsibility for actions and conditions. At the snapping point, it always the conspiratorial "them" that is to blame.

Jews, homosexuals, arabs, Mexicans, blacks....All this bigoted hate is nothing more than a symbol for failure that can be arbitrarily anthropomorphized to escape healthy self-blame. Unfortunately, for those that look and think differently this can mean that a sleepy day in church, or at school, or tooling around the neighborhood, can transform into a violent explosion of spent hatred and frustration.

I will admit, that when an employee goes on a rampage and starts dropping middle management and executives, I understand his motive and his actions. While I don't agree with killing people because work sucks, at least he taking vengeance on those that contributed to his state of being. That makes sense to me.

An earlier poster already noted the irony of shooting liberals in protest of policy not being liberal enough. I'm still trying to figure out how being gay is going to get anyone preferential career opportunities.

I suppose if I could make sense of it, it wouldn't be senseless violence.

#342633 - 07/29/08 11:52 AM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Hixem]
Scion Offline

Loc: London, UK
Ah yes, us gays are notorious for stealing jobs from hard-working straight people. And it's well known, of course, that gays get preferential treatment because we're so well regarded (particularly in American society).

I just feel sorry for all the conservative straight people out there, it must be hard to live in society with the odds stacked against you all so.

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

www.vampiretemple.com - are you one of us?

#342645 - 07/29/08 01:24 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Hixem]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Speaking of odd shootings, I remember that in 2001 or so, there was a guy only a few towns away from me that went on a shooting spree at a train station. They gave the full background of the guy. What I found kind of creepy was that he was the same age, same sex, same race, in the same exact profession, AND had the same exact salary as me. Not sure what to make of that!

Though come to think of it, I should have posted the article in my office with those things highlighted. I might have gotten a few fearful coffee-fetching office slaves out of the deal. coopdevil

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,

(Wenn du Google's ▄bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#342685 - 07/29/08 04:51 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Bill_M]
Scion Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill_M
What I found kind of creepy was that he was the same age, same sex, same race, in the same exact profession, AND had the same exact salary as me. Not sure what to make of that!

So, can you account for your movements on the night in question Mr M?

Shines lamp in Bill_M's face

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

#342701 - 07/29/08 07:36 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Bill_M]
Lust Offline

I fail to understand why the congregants subdued him. They were supposed to "turn the other cheek". What were they afraid of? They should have been forming a line.
´┐ŻLove is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.´┐Ż
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#342706 - 07/29/08 07:59 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Scion]
Muse Offline

CoS Member

Loc: In Your Dreams
Originally Posted By: Scion
And it's well known, of course, that gays get preferential treatment because we're so well regarded (particularly in American society).

Silly, silly Scion! Gays get preferential treatment because you are all so well dressed! wink
(Currently on hiatus while I attend to grad school, but I have every intention of bringing the show back when the time is right!)

The holy trinity: Me, Myself, and I.

"Does anyone ever realize life while they are living it? Every, every minute?"
- Emily, Our Town, by Thornton Wilder

"Life's like a ballgame. You gotta take a swing at whatever comes along before you wake up and find it's the ninth inning." ~Vera (Ann Savage) in Detour

#342743 - 07/30/08 01:37 AM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Muse]
Scion Offline

Sarah - we can't help being fabulous, it's part of who we are. People should just accept it and move on as we do.

grin

#342809 - 07/30/08 10:47 AM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: ]
Malcontent Offline
CoS Member

Sclon

Side note to the conversation regarding you proclaiming your sexual orientation;

I was very glad to hear about California's recent decision. It's a step in the right direction for the USA anyway. I like it when things fly in the face of Christians. I know Satanism is a tool, not to be evangelized or advertised... but I have to tell you, I've got a mean antagonist streak in me when it comes to these hyper-morale hypocritical assholes.

#342873 - 07/30/08 04:41 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Lust]
pure_truth Offline

Originally Posted By: Tier Instinct
I fail to understand why the congregants subdued him. They were supposed to "turn the other cheek". What were they afraid of? They should have been forming a line.

Bah, the church can ALWAYS shift and adapt the way they want to.

Sounds a bit like individualism to me!

Hail me!

#342951 - 07/31/08 12:03 AM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Scion]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

It wasn't an "at large" story.

#343037 - 07/31/08 02:42 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Bill_M]
Scion Offline

STOP AVOIDING THE QUESTION!

wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
13166 Members
73 Forums
44445 Topics
407326 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold