Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#342474 - 07/28/08 10:06 AM From the News: Church shooting
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
"An unemployed man accused of opening fire with a shotgun and killing two people at a Unitarian church apparently targeted the congregation out of hatred for its liberal social policies, police said Monday."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080728/ap_on_re_us/church_shooting

I couldn't help but to think of this quote:

"I'm not worried about guns in school. You know what I'm waiting for? Guns in church. That's gonna be a lot of fun. And it'll happen. You watch. Some nut will go fuckin' apeshit in church, and they'll refer to him as a "disgruntled worshipper."
- George Carlin

Edited by Ygraine (07/28/08 10:22 AM)
Edit Reason: Inflammatory Title in Public Area

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#342487 - 07/28/08 11:31 AM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Bill_M]
Malcontent Offline
CoS Member

Even before I opened this thread, I thought immediately of what George Carlin had said.

Given time, he might be looked back upon as a Socrates of his time... only better.

#342537 - 07/28/08 09:01 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Malcontent]
Maya Offline
CoS Member

Loc: New England
Apparently, this guy was disgruntled because he didn't have a job. From what I read, he left a four-page letter in his residence stating his anger that "liberals and gays" were stealing all the jobs. He was also upset that his allocation of food stamps had recently been reduced.

I found it hilarious that he was angry with the very people who support the social welfare programs that apparently did not meet his standards. It just goes to show you that you don't have to be a liberal to be a whiny bitch.

#342551 - 07/28/08 11:41 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Bill_M]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
I heard the news this morning from a co-worker. At the moment there was not much information about the killer and his motives, so the guy instantly made his own conclusions: "That was probably a Satanist"

Of course, I controlled the rage inside me and didn't say much. I'm used to peoples' ignorance...

But I can't wait for tomorrow to inform him the killer was actually another good Christian doing his God's job.

#342612 - 07/29/08 09:39 AM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Old_Pig]
Hixem Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Several years ago, a soldier returning from overseas took a shotgun into a local Italian restaurant and started shooting the patrons and wait staff. He was also upset at gays taking jobs--in the military. Not that the seated diners and employees were in the military--or neccessarily gay.

It is interesting that some arbitrary group is always to blame for the conditions of the broken and violent. If it isn't the illegal immigrants taking jobs, it's the gays and liberals.

I suppose the mind can go only so far in its attempts to displace responsibility for actions and conditions. At the snapping point, it always the conspiratorial "them" that is to blame.

Jews, homosexuals, arabs, Mexicans, blacks....All this bigoted hate is nothing more than a symbol for failure that can be arbitrarily anthropomorphized to escape healthy self-blame. Unfortunately, for those that look and think differently this can mean that a sleepy day in church, or at school, or tooling around the neighborhood, can transform into a violent explosion of spent hatred and frustration.

I will admit, that when an employee goes on a rampage and starts dropping middle management and executives, I understand his motive and his actions. While I don't agree with killing people because work sucks, at least he taking vengeance on those that contributed to his state of being. That makes sense to me.

An earlier poster already noted the irony of shooting liberals in protest of policy not being liberal enough. I'm still trying to figure out how being gay is going to get anyone preferential career opportunities.

I suppose if I could make sense of it, it wouldn't be senseless violence.

#342633 - 07/29/08 11:52 AM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Hixem]
Scion Offline

Loc: London, UK
Ah yes, us gays are notorious for stealing jobs from hard-working straight people. And it's well known, of course, that gays get preferential treatment because we're so well regarded (particularly in American society).

I just feel sorry for all the conservative straight people out there, it must be hard to live in society with the odds stacked against you all so.

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

www.vampiretemple.com - are you one of us?

#342645 - 07/29/08 01:24 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Hixem]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Speaking of odd shootings, I remember that in 2001 or so, there was a guy only a few towns away from me that went on a shooting spree at a train station. They gave the full background of the guy. What I found kind of creepy was that he was the same age, same sex, same race, in the same exact profession, AND had the same exact salary as me. Not sure what to make of that!

Though come to think of it, I should have posted the article in my office with those things highlighted. I might have gotten a few fearful coffee-fetching office slaves out of the deal. coopdevil

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#342685 - 07/29/08 04:51 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Bill_M]
Scion Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill_M
What I found kind of creepy was that he was the same age, same sex, same race, in the same exact profession, AND had the same exact salary as me. Not sure what to make of that!

So, can you account for your movements on the night in question Mr M?

Shines lamp in Bill_M's face

"Don't you see? If the gays can get married then the whole institution of marriage will be destroyed! Society will crumble! Rivers will run red with blood! And Nazis will walk the earth riding dinosaurs!" Princess Clara, the unsung voice of the Christian right.

#342701 - 07/29/08 07:36 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Bill_M]
Lust Offline

I fail to understand why the congregants subdued him. They were supposed to "turn the other cheek". What were they afraid of? They should have been forming a line.
�Love is one of the most intense feelings felt by man; another is hate. Forcing yourself to feel indiscriminate love is very unnatural. If you try to love everyone you only lessen your feelings for those who deserve your love. Repressed hatred can lead to many physical and emotional aliments. By learning to release your hatred towards those who deserve it, you cleanse yourself of these malignant emotions and need not take your pent-up hatred out on your loved ones.�
Anton Szandor LaVey, The Satanic Bible

#342706 - 07/29/08 07:59 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Scion]
Muse Offline

CoS Member

Loc: In Your Dreams
Originally Posted By: Scion
And it's well known, of course, that gays get preferential treatment because we're so well regarded (particularly in American society).

Silly, silly Scion! Gays get preferential treatment because you are all so well dressed! wink
(Currently on hiatus while I attend to grad school, but I have every intention of bringing the show back when the time is right!)

The holy trinity: Me, Myself, and I.

"Does anyone ever realize life while they are living it? Every, every minute?"
- Emily, Our Town, by Thornton Wilder

"Life's like a ballgame. You gotta take a swing at whatever comes along before you wake up and find it's the ninth inning." ~Vera (Ann Savage) in Detour

#342743 - 07/30/08 01:37 AM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Muse]
Scion Offline

Sarah - we can't help being fabulous, it's part of who we are. People should just accept it and move on as we do.

grin

#342809 - 07/30/08 10:47 AM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: ]
Malcontent Offline
CoS Member

Sclon

Side note to the conversation regarding you proclaiming your sexual orientation;

I was very glad to hear about California's recent decision. It's a step in the right direction for the USA anyway. I like it when things fly in the face of Christians. I know Satanism is a tool, not to be evangelized or advertised... but I have to tell you, I've got a mean antagonist streak in me when it comes to these hyper-morale hypocritical assholes.

#342873 - 07/30/08 04:41 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Lust]
pure_truth Offline

Originally Posted By: Tier Instinct
I fail to understand why the congregants subdued him. They were supposed to "turn the other cheek". What were they afraid of? They should have been forming a line.

Bah, the church can ALWAYS shift and adapt the way they want to.

Sounds a bit like individualism to me!

Hail me!

#342951 - 07/31/08 12:03 AM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Scion]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

It wasn't an "at large" story.

#343037 - 07/31/08 02:42 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Bill_M]
Scion Offline

STOP AVOIDING THE QUESTION!

wink

#343129 - 08/01/08 04:19 AM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Lust]
Queen Shiba Offline
CoS Member

Loc: USA

Now we're talkin'!! This is the statement that makes the most sense to me!

Thank you Tier!

Mina

#343218 - 08/01/08 01:45 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Bill_M]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa
Originally Posted By: Bill_M
"An unemployed man accused of opening fire with a shotgun and killing two people at a Unitarian church apparently targeted the congregation out of hatred for its liberal social policies, police said Monday."

I gather he wasn't overly impressed with the parable about the sparrows.

#343246 - 08/01/08 03:20 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Linguascelesta]
Scion Offline

Originally Posted By: Linguascelesta

But the cleansing of the Temple story seemed to resonate quite strongly.

#343255 - 08/01/08 03:35 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Scion]
Linguascelesta Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Europa

But the cleansing of the Temple story seemed to resonate quite strongly.

Ha! Yes, indeed.

#343267 - 08/01/08 04:41 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Scion]
Emerald Offline

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
If you are referring to the story where Jesus went berserk with the money changers by flipping over tables and running all of them out of the temple, I don't recall Jesus pulling out his "semi-automatic, iron-spiked, cat o' nine tails" and attempting to slay everyone within arms reach. Tap dancing Methusela!!!

#343294 - 08/01/08 08:18 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Bill_M]
illcree Offline

Loc: Mississippi
I said before and I will say it again. Why Do all these crazy bible thumpers have to be where i am from or close to me.

I am surprised they did not try to say he had "evil spirits" in him.

#343346 - 08/02/08 01:53 AM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Emerald]
Scion Offline

Originally Posted By: Emerald
If you are referring to the story where Jesus went berserk with the money changers by flipping over tables and running all of them out of the temple, I don't recall Jesus pulling out his "semi-automatic, iron-spiked, cat o' nine tails" and attempting to slay everyone within arms reach. Tap dancing Methusela!!!

Well you know he would have if he could have got hold of one. wink

#343360 - 08/02/08 03:08 AM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Linguascelesta]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Maybe as they were dragging him away he was yelling "Damn you, fig tree! Damn you, fig tree!" coopdevil

#343363 - 08/02/08 03:27 AM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Scion]
Emerald Offline

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
That is quite possible. Jesus could have been packing heat in the temple. Who knows? shocked

#343455 - 08/02/08 01:33 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: illcree]
Sakura Offline

Loc: The Circus
Originally Posted By: illcree

I am surprised they did not try to say he had "evil spirits" in him.

Didn't you know it yet? They usually tell the families of the deceased that it's God's will. grin
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
Alice didn't think that proved it at all: however she went on. "And how do you know that you're mad?"
"To begin with," said the Cat, "a dog's not mad. You grant that?"
"I suppose so," said Alice.
"Well, then, " the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

#343583 - 08/03/08 11:08 AM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Old_Pig]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Originally Posted By: Tha_Pig
I heard the news this morning from a co-worker. At the moment there was not much information about the killer and his motives, so the guy instantly made his own conclusions: "That was probably a Satanist"

Of course, I controlled the rage inside me and didn't say much. I'm used to peoples' ignorance...

But I can't wait for tomorrow to inform him the killer was actually another good Christian doing his God's job.

Unitarians absolutely make conservative and fundamentalist Christians foam at the mouth--and sometimes even annoy mainline Christians, too! Therefore, this is clearly a case where Christians need to acknowledge the plank in their own eyes and bug up their own butts before they start picking around for specks in the peepers of Satanists.

I'm actually expecting that at least one fundie somewhere will claim that this was God's vengeance against the "lukewarm."

If you guys are amused by the Christians subduing the gunman in this case, you should read up on what happened at New Life (remember Ted Haggard? That's the church!) when Matthew Murray went beserko. One of the civilians who shot the gunman later expressed regret--not for shooting him, but for screaming obscenities to get his attention.

Oh, and when that man--a Vietnam vet, incidentally--later criticized New Life's security guards for not being faster on the draw, he was escorted out of the church for being too "volatile" and "disruptive." That's gratitude for you.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#343773 - 08/04/08 11:16 AM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Scion]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

STOP AVOIDING THE QUESTION!

wink

You're not funny. I don't mean that the news piece is above being made fun of. I mean you, as somebody who is attempting humor, are truly not funny. You are desperately digging at an angle that is simply not there. Stop.

#343785 - 08/04/08 12:18 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Lust]
DCLXVI Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.S.A.

I wonder the same thing, Tier Instinct. IF, by dieing, they go to "heaven" to be with "jesus", why the hell weren't they lined up with boxes of ammo for the guy, so he could shoot more of them?
This brings to mind the guy in the steak-house in Texas a few years ago. Now, that guy had BALLS. I mean, going into a restaurant in TEXAS, with only 2 pistols? he must have been from another state. Everybody in Texas KNOWS that the per capita ownership of firearms is what 4 to 1 (4 guns per person, not 4 persons per gun) in Texas.

#344247 - 08/06/08 07:08 AM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: ]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
>>or lack of gun control.

That British statement always amuses me. smile

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#344285 - 08/06/08 10:36 AM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Discipline]
Queen Shiba Offline
CoS Member

All I can say is, I'm glad I live in Michigan. Because we can get our CCW's. Carry Concealed Weapons permit.

I carry, I have for about 8 years.

It's my right, and I've taken a wonderful self defense class.

My dad always carried too.

So do my brothers. It's a family thing.

Since I don't go to church, I'm more vulnerable to car jackings, and restaurant shootings. If I can run I will, but if it comes down to my life or his, my life will win.

Mina

#344336 - 08/06/08 05:11 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Queen Shiba]
Pirate Offline

Originally Posted By: MissMina1556
Since I don't go to church, I'm more vulnerable to car jackings, and restaurant shootings.

I apologize, but I don't understand the correlation, could you explain?

#344376 - 08/06/08 08:12 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Hixem]
Xaira Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Originally Posted By: Hixem
Several years ago, a soldier returning from overseas took a shotgun into a local Italian restaurant and started shooting the patrons and wait staff. He was also upset at gays taking jobs--in the military. Not that the seated diners and employees were in the military--or neccessarily gay.

I know it's a good bit after your point, Hixem, but would the restaurant you are referring to be in Fayetteville, NC? I remember that incident. May not be the same one, but it was the same situation. The day stands out in my mind because my family was going to go eat there later that evening.

This stuff makes me sick.

devilchili

"You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance." - Ray Bradbury

#344523 - 08/07/08 06:14 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Pirate]
Muse Offline

CoS Member

Loc: In Your Dreams
Uh, I think she was being humorous. Mina doesn't go to church, therefore she is not vulnerable to the aforementioned church shootings...however, since she does drive a car and eat out, she considers herself potentially vulnerable to car jackings and restaurant shootings. Let me know next time you need a joke explained...
(Currently on hiatus while I attend to grad school, but I have every intention of bringing the show back when the time is right!)

The holy trinity: Me, Myself, and I.

"Does anyone ever realize life while they are living it? Every, every minute?"
- Emily, Our Town, by Thornton Wilder

"Life's like a ballgame. You gotta take a swing at whatever comes along before you wake up and find it's the ninth inning." ~Vera (Ann Savage) in Detour

#344528 - 08/07/08 06:47 PM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Queen Shiba]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

All I can say is, I'm glad I live in Michigan. Because we can get our CCW's. Carry Concealed Weapons permit.

I'm fully aware that people in Michigan are prone to "packing the heat".

I still think Detroit's basketball team should've been named the Pistols. coopdevil

#344571 - 08/08/08 01:02 AM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Callier]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Originally Posted By: Callier

I'm fully aware that people in Michigan are prone to "packing the heat".

I still think Detroit's basketball team should've been named the Pistols. coopdevil

LOL! I agree!

I have many friends (well car people I am friendly with) who live in Motor City. There are certain areas that you just don't go....which is almost everywhere in Detroit. (That is, unless you were armed as well) wink.

Now, back to this nutter who shot up the Church. I had to laugh in spite of Myself because I too was reminded of what Mr. Carlin had said. When he said it...I knew it could and most likely WOULD happen.

I am however, not laughing that some nut broke the law. I don't care what his 'reasons' were. They weren't good enough.

As for the poster 'Emerald' is it? I got a chuckle out of your reply about Jesus and his Cat Of Nine Tails. I recall going to Church and hearing that story as a small girl on how ol' JC got a bee in his bonnet for making his Temple 'A den of thieves'. (As I recall).

Yes, I remember reading how he flipped over the money changers tables and ummmm I think he MAY have had a whip or something and shooed them out of there.

This was always such a FUNNY story to Me. Why? Because, the very church I was hearing it preached about in, had a book store....where they SOLD things for profit. Whatta joke!

How people can put money in an offering plate after hearing a sermon like that...or go a buying some silly twaddle of a 'Footprints In The Sand' bookmark with a straight face is beyond Me.

Meh.

As it were, the one word that flashes into My mind after reading about this story is "IRONY".

PS: If JC were to have a semi-automatic weapon in church....and if he were peeved off enough to blow a hole in someones head.....it would be okay because you see....he could just magically bring that person back to life.

Don't you guys know your Fairy Tales by now? coopdevil

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#344576 - 08/08/08 01:32 AM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Muse]
Queen Shiba Offline
CoS Member

Sarah, you are a woman after my own heart. Thank you for explaining what I meant with my comment!!

Good job!

Oh, yes, and I do love to eat out quite frequently!! Wonderful steakhouses are my favorite!!

Mina

#344577 - 08/08/08 01:34 AM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Callier]
Queen Shiba Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

I never though of that!! The Pistols! It would actually be a correct statement. Also, since they all probably carry, how profound!!

MM

#344579 - 08/08/08 01:38 AM Re: From the News: Church shooting [Re: Evil_Eve]
Queen Shiba Offline
CoS Member

Eve, I was reading about what you wrote about JC freaking out in the temple. I, too, remember that from my Catholic days. That story was imprinted on my brain.

The nuns made it sound like it was way OK for him to freak out and push everyone around, turn over the tables, and yell and scream, because these money changers were in his house.

What a visual they made for us little children. Boy, they had us brainwashed. I took that crap until I was about in 3rd grade, then it hit me, and the questions started.

I hated them, left the church as soon as I could and never looked back.

I like how you said JC probably had a whip! I wonder who he would use that whip on in his "off" hours!! Hehehe coopdevil

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
13166 Members
73 Forums
44435 Topics
407319 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold