Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#343871 - 08/04/08 06:21 PM Re: Grisly murder aboard Greyhound bus in Canada [Re: TheRaven]
barrytheblade Offline
Banned Douche

Loc: WA
Originally Posted By: TheRaven
Herd mentality. Its the same thing outside in public. Someone can be laying on the sidewalk dying and everyone will just keep walking by thinking that someone else will help the person. Usually the only person that comes along and helps the individual lying on the sidewalk is a nurse or officer of the law who happens to be randomly near.

I don't think it's so much a herd mentality as it is singularity. Humans, by nature, are not pack animals. Herd mentality is mostly a learned behavior. Most of them probably thought of nothing more than their own safety.

Edited by barrytheblade (08/04/08 06:26 PM)

#344100 - 08/05/08 05:27 PM Re: Grisly murder aboard Greyhound bus in Canada [Re: barrytheblade]
tovasshi Offline

Loc: Banana, Canada

#344101 - 08/05/08 05:31 PM Re: Grisly murder aboard Greyhound bus in Canada [Re: tovasshi]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Just so.

Remember, law-abiding people may not carry weapons in Canada (not even knives).

By the time they grabbed improvised weapons, it was too late.

#344142 - 08/05/08 08:21 PM Re: Grisly murder aboard Greyhound bus in Canada [Re: reprobate]
GCaesarWhiskers Offline

Loc: TN, USA
I usually carry around two ink pens.
Normally, I will use these to chart on
patients at work, or to write down answers
when I play trivia.
If I ever get in a pinch, however, the ink pens
could "magically" appear in an attacker's
eye sockets or their jugular vein or
carotid artery.
Even if the pens missed their intended targets,
most attackers would be distracted long enough
for my 13w shoe to punt their testicles
into the next county.

I am thankful that I have not yet had the
opportunity to test this scenario.

"Survival is the Highest Law."

Stay Strong.

HS!

Edited by GCaesarWhiskers (08/05/08 08:24 PM)
And may your dominant mate always be happy to see you

Meerkat Blessing

www.vampiretemple.com

#344147 - 08/05/08 08:43 PM Re: Grisly murder aboard Greyhound bus in Canada [Re: Sakura]
G X B Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: Sakura
My point exactly Emerald! I mean he stabbed the guy 40 to 50 times, cut his head off, walked to the front of the bus, tossed the head, walked back to the body and proceeded to disembowel him. In all that time no one did anything! The bus was loaded, and all the guy had was a knife! I can of course imagine in the first few minutes the grizzly scene was happening it might have seemed unreal, and the people where unable to react due to the insanity, but somewhere somebody could have done something..

Those who live in a world of TV violence and play through the day as though it is far from reality, seldom know how to deal with the real thing when it occurs. Unlike the slow-mo drama of film and television, real violence is fast and shaky.
They were just waiting for the end credits.

Replace "In God We Trust" with "Responsibility to the Responsible."

"Knowledge is long, and life is short, and he who does not know, does not live." -Baltasar Gracian, The Art of Worldly Wisdom

MySpace | The Third Side Conservative | Undercroft

#344162 - 08/05/08 09:51 PM Re: Grisly murder aboard Greyhound bus in Canada [Re: GCaesarWhiskers]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Mightier than the sword, huh?

#344178 - 08/05/08 11:06 PM Re: Grisly murder aboard Greyhound bus in Canada [Re: Old_Pig]
GCaesarWhiskers Offline

In the hands of a Judge, a State Governor, or a President
pens can be quite devastating and lethal! grin

Meerkat Blessing

www.vampiretemple.com

#344182 - 08/05/08 11:14 PM Re: Grisly murder aboard Greyhound bus in Canada [Re: G X B]
Sakura Offline

Loc: The Circus
Originally Posted By: 072402

Those who live in a world of TV violence and play through the day as though it is far from reality, seldom know how to deal with the real thing when it occurs. Unlike the slow-mo drama of film and television, real violence is fast and shaky.
They were just waiting for the end credits.

Most probably they were waiting for that. Or they just thought it was a stunt or they were on candid camera. Heck, I don't even know how I would deal with it. I mean, I've seen violence and gone through it myself, but you never really now how you're going to react to it. It's either run of fight. I most cases I'd choose run, I value my life. grin
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
Alice didn't think that proved it at all: however she went on. "And how do you know that you're mad?"
"To begin with," said the Cat, "a dog's not mad. You grant that?"
"I suppose so," said Alice.
"Well, then, " the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

#344187 - 08/05/08 11:25 PM Re: Grisly murder aboard Greyhound bus in Canada [Re: GCaesarWhiskers]
Sakura Offline

Loc: The Circus
Originally Posted By: GCaesarWhiskers
In the hands of a Judge, a State Governor, or a President
pens can be quite devastating and lethal! grin

In the hands of the Joker it can be very lethal as well hahaha.

"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
Alice didn't think that proved it at all: however she went on. "And how do you know that you're mad?"
"To begin with," said the Cat, "a dog's not mad. You grant that?"
"I suppose so," said Alice.
"Well, then, " the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

#344235 - 08/06/08 06:38 AM Re: Grisly murder aboard Greyhound bus in Canada [Re: Sakura]
GCaesarWhiskers Offline

What an AWESOME film! cool

Thank you, Sakura! smile

You have brightened my day. grin

Meerkat Blessing

www.vampiretemple.com

#344926 - 08/09/08 11:58 AM Re: Grisly murder aboard Greyhound bus in Canada [Re: GCaesarWhiskers]
Dean Tempest Offline

Loc: lexington, ky
Similar situations of people not stoping to help others have happend in my town. Having spent a year and a half working with the disabled the horrors of how much people just flatly dont care become very apparent.

Since this happend at night then a very good chance it happend so fast some people didnt get a chance to do anything before the poor guy was already obviously dead. Had it not been when half the bus was tired or asleep (just speculating on that since they said it was at night)there might have been a hero or two.

But personally for myself in situations where others are obviously in need of help, I tend to jump in and damn the consequences instinctively.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
13166 Members
73 Forums
44435 Topics
407319 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold