Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#345349 - 08/11/08 06:25 AM Re: A philosophical question regarding pain [Re: Fnord]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Frankly, I do not think pain has any great significance, beyond the brain telling you something is amiss. I can understand someone in chronic pain wanting to attribute some greater significance to it. Suffering something generally has the mind looking for some purpose behind it all. I suppose that is where the idea of if it does not kill you it makes you stronger came from. Personally, I tend to avoid pain at all costs, if possible. Call me a wimp. There are some who think that pain is meant to teach us a thing or two; but I do not subscribe to that theory. There are others who think that going through pain grants them some status from fortune. Note how some say so and so deserves this, that or the other thing because of what they have suffered.

I know some people for whom pain is very important. It garners them attention. It has also gotten them out of the need for gainful employment. If you try to advise them on how they can alleviate their plight, you are open to their ire.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#345395 - 08/11/08 08:46 AM Re: A philosophical question regarding pain [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Sidewinder1313 Offline

Loc: Ironton Ohio USA
Absolutely, LeviathanXIII. Any time I have to deal with either physical or emotional pain and there is no way around it, I refer to this quote and try to turn a very miserable situation into a positive. For example, writing a song or working on a painting. Some of my best paintings have been created in a miserable state of mind! Afterward, I feel much better having created a piece of work that is permanent that was born out of a feeling which is fleeting. I in no way WANT to feel pain or force myself into a negative mindset to produce my art or music, however, if I happen to be in pain of any sort, I like to make the most of a bad situation.

#345631 - 08/12/08 08:05 AM Re: A philosophical question regarding pain [Re: Old_Pig]
Zardex Offline

Originally Posted By: Tha_Pig
The error is thinking everything has a "point" or "purpose". That error comes from the ancient human habit of thinking everything in life is part of a plan designed by a guy/guys up there.

There is no point. There is a biological reason for pain, as it has been already explained here, but there is not really a point if you try to rationalize it.

Here we enter my favorite philosophical question.

What is the point of all this?

I think Nietzsche was right when he said about earlier philosophers:
"Regarding life, the wisest men of all ages have judged alike: it is worthless."

Nietzsche was not fooled by that to think that life cannot be given meaning in the form of a lie. After all lie is the nature of purpose since all meaning is a lie. And if we are to have purpose we must lie.
In his words "the lie is a condition of life."

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
13166 Members
73 Forums
44436 Topics
407317 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold