Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#346010 - 08/13/08 08:12 PM Re: This was already addressed. [Re: Rudmer]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
Quote:
My focus was more upon the legality (the Church of Satan does espouse obedience to and enforcement of the law, correct?)and other ramifications of what is going on in Helena-West Helena.

Yes, but opinions of what should be lawful or unlawful and what is lawful or unlawful are two different things. The latter is a reality, the former merely an opinion.

#346011 - 08/13/08 08:13 PM Re: This was already addressed. [Re: Hixem]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Silence is consent, if the state does not oppose this, then they are consenting to it's legality.

#346012 - 08/13/08 08:14 PM Re: Angered and ashamed [Re: Jack_Lantern]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Originally Posted By: Jack_Lantern
Ihr worten klingeln wahr.

Ja, the words do indeed ring true.

Unhealthy indeed.

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#346020 - 08/13/08 08:45 PM Re: This was already addressed. [Re: Rudmer]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
I used to live in a place where the official law was in opposition with my personal tastes.

I moved.

#346029 - 08/13/08 09:26 PM Re: This was already addressed. [Re: ]
Rudmer Offline

Loc: USA
I like it where I live just fine, thank you very much -- who are you to assume I don't? My family, friends, and love are here. Gas is cheap, jobs are plentiful, and I am getting paid to educate myself at a reasonably distinguished university. All of these drastically outweigh any complaints I may have. But as stated before, just because something does not immediately and directly affect my life does not mean it is not worth my attention and concern. The "saying" I was thinking of earlier, and which I shall again reference, is actually a poem entitled "First they came..." by Martin Niemöller:

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out

Though he was talking about Nazis, I believe his point holds true.

Edited by Rudmer (08/13/08 09:26 PM)

The problem with the world is stupidity. We should just remove the safety labels from everything and let the problem fix itself.

#346032 - 08/13/08 10:03 PM Re: This was already addressed. [Re: ]
Rudmer Offline

Originally Posted By: JustAnotherBeast
Do what works for you.

No shit, Sherlock. That's like telling water to run downhill.

The problem with the world is stupidity. We should just remove the safety labels from everything and let the problem fix itself.

#346033 - 08/13/08 10:29 PM Re: This was already addressed. [Re: Rudmer]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Quote:
Though he was talking about Nazis, I believe his point holds true.

Not really. Your analogy is poor and mismatched to the situation. These are not political dissidents being jailed for their beliefs. These are criminals being jailed for breaking the law. Whether your obfuscation of this fact is intentional or merely a product of sloppy thinking I am not sure of yet, but as of now I'm leaning toward the later.

#346035 - 08/13/08 10:37 PM Re: This was already addressed. [Re: Jack_Lantern]
Rudmer Offline

Quote:
These are not political dissidents being jailed for their beliefs. These are criminals being jailed for breaking the law.

My obfuscation of this fact was quite intentional, for in making my comparison I was not concerned with the specific crimes (or lack thereof) of the accused. I simply wanted to reference the broader thinking of the poem: ignoring an injustice because it does not immediately and directly affect you is a potentially self-destructive act.

Edited by Rudmer (08/13/08 10:47 PM)

#346041 - 08/13/08 11:08 PM Re: This was already addressed. [Re: Rudmer]
Darkahn Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Then why aren't you?

Changing your own world is alot more gratifying than changing the world.

It's easier, too, than complaining about something of which you have no power over.

Leave the complaining about random events on the news to the lifeless strand of bloggers, or old god-fearing hags bitching at their TV screen.

Or perhaps you're still in that silly idealism stage.

If it's that important to you, perhaps you should get involved in law enforcement, or the legislature, rather than expecting an international cabal of individuals to really give two shits about what happens in some place many of them have never even heard of. This isn't PETA or GreenPeace.

If we were on the political boards, and it was brought up as a political topic, rather than some sort of 'Satanic call to action', then as a (albeit socially liberal) fascist, I might have given it a wider glance.

But we're not. wink

Undercroft

#346044 - 08/13/08 11:15 PM Re: Angered and ashamed [Re: Jack_Lantern]
Darkahn Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Danke schön. wink

Undercroft

#346046 - 08/13/08 11:20 PM Re: This was already addressed. [Re: Darkahn]
Rudmer Offline

Did I ever ask for advice or counsel (that's the correct spelling for that particular usage of the word, by the way, JustAnotherBeast)in this thread? If I did, will you please point me to where I did so, so that I may apologize as common decency requires? Otherwise, let's turn down the intensity a bit, shall we? Up until the post about running water downhill, I had no malignant intent towards you, JustAnotherBeast, and although I did not do so previously, I am now going to assume that you did not have any either.

Darkahn makes a good point, one of which I occasionally loose sight. But I think that in this case, "changing the world" is also changing my own world, at least a little bit. I've posted this thread elsewhere in the behemoth that is the internet, with some interesting and effective results. And I do not believe that I am being idealistic (those days are long gone) when I simply want the law to be upheld by those whose job it is to uphold it. That falls well within the realm of the reasonable.

Edited by Rudmer (08/13/08 11:21 PM)

#346058 - 08/14/08 12:58 AM Re: This was already addressed. [Re: Rudmer]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Why do you live in such a neighborhood?

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#346060 - 08/14/08 01:51 AM Re: This was already addressed. [Re: Rudmer]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Quote:
My obfuscation of this fact was quite intentional, for in making my comparison I was not concerned with the specific crimes (or lack thereof) of the accused. I simply wanted to reference the broader thinking of the poem: ignoring an injustice because it does not immediately and directly affect you is a potentially self-destructive act.

But I do not agree that an injustice has been committed. In fact, I think the only injustice would be to allow citizens to continue living with this lawlessness because some people are willing to obfuscate said facts in a misguided attempt to keep to principles that criminals brazenly disregard. The only thing I see is that you are espousing softness on crime. I think this is the only thing that a Satanist would find objectionable, certainly it is a self-destructive act.

So... you admit to intentionally attempting to use misleading rhetoric so that the persons on this board... can do what? Share in your righteous outrage? To what end? Certainly you don't think that this will solve your imaginary problem?

#346068 - 08/14/08 05:02 AM Re: This was already addressed. [Re: Rudmer]
Corvin Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Near Ottawa, On
Originally Posted By: Rudmer
But I think that in this case, "changing the world" is also changing my own world, at least a little bit. I've posted this thread elsewhere in the behemoth that is the internet, with some interesting and effective results.

Really? What results have you had? Did you use the same obfuscation tactics to confuse the unwashed masses?

Tell us more of your prowess.

#346192 - 08/14/08 05:10 PM Re: Angered and ashamed [Re: Rudmer]
Hixem Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Here is a link to the actual executive order: http://jfvalley.blogspot.com/2008/08/executive-order-8-2008-order-declaring.html

This is my favorite exerpt:

Quote:

The Code Enforcement Department has been directed to pursue Nuisance Abatement (Evictions) for those persons residing in homes, in the affected areas, where at least three (3) criminal violations have occurred within the most recent time period allowed to be considered by law.

They can drag people right out of their homes without cause, too.

Too bad they didn't have a clause allowing the police to lynch people, too.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
13166 Members
73 Forums
44434 Topics
407317 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold