Topic Options
#304355 - 02/05/08 09:55 PM RoadID Could Save Your Life
TheAbysmal Offline

RoadID®, manufactures personal identification apparel that they primarilly market toward the athletic community. I posted about their products at another site and purchased one for Myself shortly thereafter. In My opinion, their products are novel.

The RoadID™, their flagship and aptly named product, takes the unfashionable medical identification bracelet and makes it…er, more fashionable. Read: More likely one would wear it. Beyond aesthetics, the RoadID™ features a curved military-style identification tag affixed to an arguably more comfortable Velcro® band that is available in three sizes: small, medium/large, and extra-large. The identification tag is customizable as would be expected, and can fit up to six lines of text.

I have just described RoadID®'s standard wrist band. They also offer an ankle band made of a more flexible neoprene, and a ShoeID® which laces onto the top of a shoe and comes in a pouch variation to hold other identification data.

For all their products, RoadID™ Interactive is the one that sold Me. It is essentially no different in appearance than their non-interactive products, with one difference: RoadID™ Interactive replaces four of the six customizable lines of text with instructions to call their toll-free number or visit their website. It references the owner's serial and pin number on the back of the identification tag. In calling the toll-free number or visiting the website, emergency personnel would view or hear one's custom Emergency Information Profile.

Just think about that for a minute. Think about the wealth of information one could provide to emergency personnel with a simple, understated Velcro® identification tag:

• Names, telephone numbers, and addresses of family members
  • Bloodtype and allergy information
  • Important existing conditions, such as Diabetes
  • Objections to specific medical or mortuary procedures
  • Oh, yeah…Your Name, telephone number, and address

The RoadID™ Interactive is the one I purchased—$19.99US at the moment—and it comes with one year of hosting for the online profile. After a year, renewal of the emergency information profile is $9.99 US per year. Not bad, in My opinion. I would have expected a year free, thereafter $9.99 US per month.

Equally striking about this product is that RoadID® seems to market it primarily toward the athletic community, namely runners, cyclists, and etc., that might be inclined not to carry identification on their person during those events. Just about anybody can benefit from one of these. When I thought about this, I reviewed all the forms of identification that I typically carry… My Driver's License, until recently, had an old address, still has no telephone number. It really says a whole lot of nothing to uninitiated. Police can surely use it to bring up pertinent data, but what of a medical practicioner? What if I am dead in a ditch somewhere and some passerby is the first to find Me? Who will know I am allergic to penicillin? My Geneva Conventions ID Card says even less without a PIN and card reader, and this is if I even still have My wallet! Who is to say it will not become lost or stolen?

Perhaps I am being a bit paranoid, but $19.99 seemed like a small price to pay for added piece of mind. Moreover, I think it less likely that a identification band such as this would become lost or even stolen in a mugging, whether I run, bike, or otherwise.

Refuse to die.

#332243 - 06/05/08 07:43 PM Re: RoadID Could Save Your Life [Re: TheAbysmal]
TheAbysmal Offline

I am pleasantly surprised to see that this is still above the fold.

I am curious, how many of you 151 viewers have purchased and wear a RoadID, or have purcased and wear a similar identification product?

Refuse to die.

#332939 - 06/09/08 10:11 AM Re: RoadID Could Save Your Life [Re: TheAbysmal]
Perseus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
As I hate to post short replies but in this case, I believe one word will sum up this product quite nicely, as to me that is exactly what this seems to be.

Scam.

#337063 - 06/28/08 02:34 PM Re: RoadID Could Save Your Life [Re: Perseus]
TheAbysmal Offline

Well, our opinions obviously differ, though I would be interested in your elaboration. I own and use the RoadID Interactive and have tested the telephonic readback feature and the web profile. Both work, and at $9 a year, roughly, RoadID is not making a killing off of Me.

I just posted an edited screenshot of My Emergency Response Profile on another forum, actually. I am glad to post it here, downstairs, if you are interested. Perhaps seeing it may change your opinion of it.

Perhaps you know more than I. I would ke glad to hear it. Your input may force Me to change My mind of RoadID.

Refuse to die.

#337175 - 06/29/08 04:34 AM Re: RoadID Could Save Your Life [Re: TheAbysmal]
matt112 Offline

Loc: england
and what has this to do with unification of the races under the supreme being

#337176 - 06/29/08 04:39 AM Re: RoadID Could Save Your Life [Re: Perseus]
matt112 Offline

here me loose follower's of the faith. I am heree to lead you in your campaign against the non believer's

#337178 - 06/29/08 04:47 AM Re: RoadID Could Save Your Life [Re: TheAbysmal]
matt112 Offline

so it would seem, but aren't we all all just setinent thoughts of the one . whom once he understands his loniness them we realise, this to be the truth

#339049 - 07/08/08 04:31 PM Re: RoadID Could Save Your Life [Re: matt112]
Furcifer Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Often I don't like short replies either, but this will be as short as it can get:

What?

#339562 - 07/11/08 01:50 PM Re: RoadID Could Save Your Life [Re: matt112]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: matt112
here me loose follower's of the faith. I am heree to lead you in your campaign against the non believer's

Did you bring your tinfoil hat?

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#343286 - 08/01/08 09:37 PM Re: RoadID Could Save Your Life [Re: TheAbysmal]
Prince M Offline

Loc: Minneapolis
Thanks for this link! I've been on the prowl for an alternative to the traditional steel bracelet for months now but have yet to find anything I like. And although the RoadID version is a tad sporty for me, the black one is the least offensive I've seen to date.

I'll think about that service as well. My life is certainly worth more than the cost of two lattes per year so if it works as you said it does, it would seem a no brainer.

Eternally,

~M~

"Careful with those tips, I want them nice and pointy in case I have to stab someone in the neck."
- Karen Walker

#348228 - 08/24/08 10:12 PM Re: RoadID Could Save Your Life [Re: Prince M]
TheAbysmal Offline

Prince M,

Two lattes... That puts things into perspective. I almost spent that much on two Venti Chai Tea Lattes last night.

What I love about it is that it is hard to forget it at the house. I wear it all the time. In fact, I almost feel naked without it, which explains why I often forget it in the shower, of all places.

The only time I take it off is in the morning, at the office, after I have returned from a run or workout. It does absorb some sweat and needs rinsing. I usually do this in the shower and leave it on the shower ledge, remembering when I see the mark on My wrist as I towel off.

It is a bit sporty. I am debating on purchasing one of their smaller lycra anklets. Small just might fit My wrist without being too big.

As I recall, RoadID offered a demonstration profile that You can test drive online and over the phone. I am a little disoriented on their site now that I use a text-mode browser, but it may still be there.

Refuse to die.

#348999 - 08/29/08 01:03 AM Re: RoadID Could Save Your Life [Re: TheAbysmal]
Oldsoul Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: California
Speaking as someone who works in Emergency Medical Services, we usually look at necklaces and sometimes bracelets if we catch them. Emergency workers who respond in the field setting would most likely never call to find out anything more than what's printed on the jewelry. Thay being said, hospital personnel might follow up if you were unconscious or altered.

Please don't take my words as that I'm opposed to the idea but wanted to give you a realistic idea about how information is gained about patients.

"Now I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor bastard die for his country." General George S. Patton

#359536 - 11/09/08 10:19 PM Re: RoadID Could Save Your Life [Re: Oldsoul]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
All I know is I'm not donating my organs. I don't trust it. And I have KNOWN for a fact they let people die for their organs (At least at Vandy in TN)

#370631 - 02/01/09 04:06 PM Re: RoadID Could Save Your Life [Re: Oldsoul]
TheAbysmal Offline

Nothing wrong with a reallistic view. I have considered that ID bracelets carry a risk of being overlooked, and I still carry My other ID. It is a shame that medical personnel would overlook medical information, but it would be unreallistic to assume or expect they would thoroughly check for it every time.

Still, yes, as You allued, I will not let that discourage the use. Any chance is better than none.

Also, I have since switched to a custom engraved steel bangel that has more information on the bracelet along side the PIN and Serial number, including blood type and allergies. Not only does this NOT soak up sweat--and stay on in the shower ;)--it stands a better chance of withstanding burning. Not that I look forward to burning, but, in the absence of doing anything to help Me, at least I can be identified. Almost as comfortable as a nylon strap, and as durable as a steel chain without the snagging.

Thank You.

Refuse to die.

#370634 - 02/01/09 04:15 PM Re: RoadID Could Save Your Life [Re: ArtAche86]
TheAbysmal Offline

Donating Your organs is a personal choice, though I certainly agree there are better options...

Still, the thrust of My ID bracelet post was aimed squarely at communicating My details--and wishes--to first responders, medical personnel, funeral directors, and et cetera.

With an ID bracelet, You could maybe unequivically say "NOT AN ORGAN DONOR", among other things. As OldSoul pointed out, this may get overlooked, but assume You were mugged... Stabbed, robbed, left for dead. Johnny Kidney could sure use Yours, and the hospital has the helicopter and ice chest on standby. Your ID was in Your wallet, the one that says You are not an Organ Donor.

Does an ID bracelet stand a chance to help or hurt You?

Refuse to die.

Moderator:  Quaark 

Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
43879 Topics
404435 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements