Topic Options
#349051 - 08/29/08 08:16 AM Eugenics & AI
Litalaie1 Offline

I am curious as to the CoS's present official stance on both these topics. I've seen literature on the site (Pentagonal Revisionism) that answers a few basic questions, but there are some philosophical implications that, superficially, seem contradictory to Satanism's emphasis on natural hierarchy: specifically that a) "artificial selection" could undermine that process if carried out by certain short- sighted institutions; and b) there is an un-ignorable hazard that we are creating a new species (AI) that has the potential to supplant us. Of course, the ideal scenario is combining these two great developing phenomena to enhance & modify our measly plights.. but pessimism is a powerful inhibitor. Thoughts?

#349141 - 08/29/08 03:48 PM Re: Eugenics & AI [Re: Litalaie1]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
We do not see human creativity nor human beings themselves as being "artificial" in the first place.

We are all part of "nature" and anything is therefore actually very "natural".

"Artificial" in this context only really means man-made. It should not imply that humankind is somehow "unnatural".

Bees make hives and that is natural. Humans make genetic engineering and that is natural too.

In this sense everything is a part of nature.

There is no "supernatural" - only nature.

Thus there is no problem with embracing technologies that would improve things.

Will people make mistakes with the technologies that get created?

Well, they always have in the past so it is reasonable to expect more of the same for the future.

At the same time, we would not be exchanging these ideas in this fashion without one such technology, now would we?

Satanists are rational hedonists. We like our creature comforts of air conditioning, central heating, digital music, furniture, cars, trains, ships, planes, culinary delicacies, and so forth.

All of these come from technology.

You will not find too many Satanists who want to live in a cave and eat grubs. skull

#349335 - 08/30/08 08:22 PM Re: Eugenics & AI [Re: Nemo]
Litalaie1 Offline

I often wondered why ants taking individual granules and stacking them (in traditional accordance with an idealized blueprint) is considered natural; but why carpenters doing the same is "artificial." Humans really employ desperate terminology to distinguish themselves from other animals. Furthermore, it barely merits repeating that "supernatural" is an inherent oxymoron. Freud might see the three psychical aspects allegorized in this singular example. I found your reply to be especially enlightened. Thank you for your time.

#349473 - 08/31/08 01:29 PM Re: Eugenics & AI [Re: Litalaie1]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
You are most welcome.

Merely because the human animal uses the mental technology of language does not cause him to somehow cease to be part of nature.

What is, is.

What is, is what we refer to as "nature".

"Nature" in this sense is short for "the nature of reality".

I should add that Satanism does not deny the possibility of the supernormal, only the supernatural.

Understanding this can clarify a great deal about Satanism.

Forum Stats
12282 Members
73 Forums
43881 Topics
404445 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements