Topic Options
#349979 - 09/03/08 08:58 AM "Freedom?"
ROB616 Offline
Shit Disturber

Loc: Manchester, UK
Just some advice I'd like to know. If the CoS is about Freedom then why the need for High Priests and such, shouldnt freedom also be about equality? as in we should all be free and nobody is allowed to be higher than each self.
Therefore I could proclaim myself as a High Priest because then i'd see myself as higher than anyone else.

#349980 - 09/03/08 09:06 AM Re: "Freedom?" [Re: ROB616]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Isn't that completely backwards thinking?

Equality does exist, naturally - the equality that is the law of the jungle, the shared struggle, the great equalizer that is reality.

What is interesting is that from this form of "equality" spawns something else: stratification. Freedom means freedom from the artificial constraints of some halfass notion that nobody is above anyone else. It is not so. Water seeks its own level, and the greater shall rise to the top.

So to answer your thinly veiled suggestion, certainly you can declare yourself a High Priest of whatever it is you think you are High Priest of. But it will not make you the equal of Anton LaVey or Peter Gilmore, both of whom have known and tangible accomplishments, and achieved tangible and real authority through it. What will you have? Just a hollow, empty name. You could buy a gold medal, but it won't make you an olympian.

we should all be free and nobody is allowed to be higher

Didn't think that out very well did you? Free...nobody is allowed. How is disallowance of something freedom? Real genius you are.

#349981 - 09/03/08 09:21 AM Re: "Freedom?" [Re: ROB616]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
You are not, in fact, talking about freedom.

You aren't even talking about Anarchy.

Or equality.

What you are suggesting is Omniarchy. Disorder. Without much understanding of such, I might add.

I would suggest you read Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes.

This will give you a greater perspective on the difference between Lex Talionis and complete disorder.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#349982 - 09/03/08 09:23 AM Re: "Freedom?" [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
ROB616 Offline
Shit Disturber

Loc: Manchester, UK
we should all be free and nobody is allowed to be higher

Didn't think that out very well did you? Free...nobody is allowed. How is disallowance of something freedom? Real genius you are.

To which I reply then if Satanism is about ones-self, then why the need for dictatorship, surely a CoS member should be allowed to have his/her own opinion without being given rules and having to look up to some priest as a "god", seeing as Sataists are meant to be their own gods.

#349983 - 09/03/08 09:35 AM Re: "Freedom?" [Re: ROB616]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Since it's plain you have no business but to stir shit, I will be removing you forthwith.

However, it should be made clear that there is no "dictatorship" in the Church of Satan. I've received not one single command since I joined nearly nine years ago. I have received polite requests from those I considered friends, and I have been offered advice and suggestions at times, but never given an order. Pretty damn lax for a dictatorship, in my opinion.

I think that if any person is truly stupid enough to look up to a CoS official of any sort as a "god" then they are of a mental capacity sufficiently low that we're better off without them.

Forum Stats
12219 Members
73 Forums
44001 Topics
406140 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements