Topic Options
#351081 - 09/10/08 03:44 PM Large Hadron Collider switched on
Josef_K Offline

Loc: Ireland
Today saw the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) switched on, with protons completing a full circuit for the first time.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7604293.stm

It will still be a while before it performs useful experiements, but it all looks promising so far.

Meanwhile, I was tickled by the CERN LHC rap grin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM

God has been expelled. I think he knows when he's on a losing wicket.

#351106 - 09/10/08 08:00 PM Re: Large Hadron Collider switched on [Re: Josef_K]
fire_vixen Offline

This is so exciting!

This 6 billion dollar experiment is definitely worth it.
I am really curious as to whether they will find the God boson, but whether they do or not, it will be an important breakthrough in physics.

#351121 - 09/10/08 09:48 PM Re: Large Hadron Collider switched on [Re: fire_vixen]
Lyra Offline

Loc: Middle of Nowhere
I met some crackpots today that were convinced this would create a "black hole" that would supposedly destroy the earth. Complete nonsense, but even if it were true, being consumed by a black hole would certainly rank up there as one of the most exciting ways to go. skull

#351351 - 09/12/08 05:40 PM Re: Large Hadron Collider switched on [Re: Lyra]
Enigma777 Offline

Originally Posted By: Lyra
I met some crackpots today that were convinced this would create a "black hole" that would supposedly destroy the earth. Complete nonsense, but even if it were true, being consumed by a black hole would certainly rank up there as one of the most exciting ways to go. skull

Yep, a lot of people around me are saying this is stupid and pointless and that they hope the boom will only kill the scientists. And then there is some discussion about God.
mad After hearing that I had to throw up!

LONG LIVE SCIENCE!!

Edited by Enigma777 (09/12/08 05:42 PM)

#351515 - 09/14/08 02:33 AM Re: Large Hadron Collider switched on [Re: Enigma777]
Mr. Luthor Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Ohio
As advanced as science gets, it is always fun to know that we are still smashing things together to see what will happen.

Hail Science!
Hail Satan!

-Mr. Luthor

#351528 - 09/14/08 07:31 AM Re: Large Hadron Collider switched on [Re: Josef_K]
Perseus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
The software for this experiment was hacked into by computer hackers.

http://technologycurrent.com/hackers-find-black-hole-in-atom-smasher-computers

#351606 - 09/14/08 08:38 PM Re: Large Hadron Collider switched on [Re: Josef_K]
ZenOfApostasy Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I'm kinda disappointed, they switch the silly thing on and Lucifer fails to appear. laugh

This music video puts the conspiracy theory to an awesome sounding song that I don't understand the lyrics to

Robert Anton Wilson

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
Mark Twain

#351755 - 09/15/08 09:48 PM Re: Large Hadron Collider switched on [Re: ZenOfApostasy]
Zardex Offline

Oh yeah I had forgotten how a dairy farmer told me that the EU is Satan's plot to bring unity in the world.
You know the "one world" thing of evil international treaties, co-operation between different people's of the world and all...
But if the world ends now what about Satan's plan to fool everyone in to democratically voting him the president of the world?

#351781 - 09/16/08 01:54 AM Re: Large Hadron Collider switched on [Re: Zardex]
Mr. Luthor Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Ohio
Yeah, that whole co-operation thing really gets in the way of being a pious, my-way-is-the-only-way-and-you-are-wrong, narrow-minded fool. Which (and it is so utterly unfortunate) seems to be so mindlessly widespread and popular.

-Mr. Luthor

Forum Stats
11891 Members
73 Forums
43638 Topics
404154 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements