Topic Options
#352442 - 09/21/08 04:18 PM Lttd Forum Guidelines
Evening Rain Offline

I just re-read the guidelines and did not find the answer to my question, but I was wondering if it was breaking any rules for a person to post the contents of a PM in a public forum?

#352443 - 09/21/08 04:30 PM Re: Lttd Forum Guidelines [Re: Evening Rain]
Evening Rain Offline

Please note, I would never think of doing this myself. It was done to me today. That is why I asked.

#352444 - 09/21/08 04:30 PM Re: Lttd Forum Guidelines [Re: Evening Rain]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

Loc: PA
Not that I have read. A private message is fair game. It's rather uncouth in my opinion. However, in all fairness if you want to avoid something being used against you, it's best not to write it. Or ignore the person rather than engaging them in a pointless debate that will be locked anyway.

#352445 - 09/21/08 04:33 PM Re: Lttd Forum Guidelines [Re: RaSc]
Evening Rain Offline

I did not think at the time that it was something that could be used against me. I'm a bit angered by it now. I think it is rude.

#352446 - 09/21/08 05:11 PM Re: Lttd Forum Guidelines [Re: Evening Rain]
ruraldean Offline

CoS Member

Loc: England
Just to support Evening Rain - I read the post in question and agree that the poster of the PM displayed manners of the lowest order, both in his action and posting. The whole point of a PM lies in its name - Private Message. To reveal the contents of such a correspondence is a betrayal of trust, shows a lack of chivalry, and falls outside of the realms of accepted Internet etiquette. However, there appears to be no published sanction apart from the formed opinion of the culprit as it permeates throughout the forum, tainting his miserable, arrogant, psychotic name.

Not to overstate things.

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."

-William Makepeace Thackeray, from The Social Pipe
http://ruraldean.wordpress.com

#352447 - 09/21/08 05:25 PM Re: Lttd Forum Guidelines [Re: ruraldean]
Evening Rain Offline

Originally Posted By: ruraldean
Just to support Evening Rain - I read the post in question and agree that the poster of the PM displayed manners of the lowest order, both in his action and posting. The whole point of a PM lies in its name - Private Message. To reveal the contents of such a correspondence is a betrayal of trust, shows a lack of chivalry, and falls outside of the realms of accepted Internet etiquette. However, there appears to be no published sanction apart from the formed opinion of the culprit as it permeates throughout the forum, tainting his miserable, arrogant, psychotic name.

Not to overstate things.

Thank you, ruraldean. I hope he's gone now. smile

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44036 Topics
406364 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements