Topic Options
#35260 - 04/14/04 10:27 AM Contradictory content of the Satanic Bible.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi. I have studied the Satanic Bible several times, with a particularly increasing problem: every time that i read the book i stumble over what is blatantly contradictory writing. Trying to actually pin down LaVey's (and satanisms) stance on a number of issues is like trying to nail fog to the wall.

The book is full of 'maybe it is, maybe it isn't, and further more, it well might be' writing that is increasingly non-specific. Perhaps a member of the preisthood could give me the definitive policy regarding a number of topics?

#35261 - 04/14/04 10:50 AM Re: Contradictory content of the Satanic Bible.
Rev_Malebranche Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: Oregon
While this seems like obvious baiting on your part, I would like to point out that your comments are perfectly 'non-specific' as well.

It would help if you would point out one or two things you read as 'contradictions', so that they can be addressed properly.

You're accusing LaVey of equivocation...which is something he rarely indulged in. The Satanic Bible and most of Magus LaVey's essays are quite decisive.

Perhaps you're reading a different version?

Edited by Jack_Malebranche (04/14/04 10:53 AM)

#35262 - 04/14/04 11:23 AM Re: Contradictory content of the Satanic Bible. [Re: Rev_Malebranche]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I do not wish to appear to be trolling, so i shall give you a few examples of what i consider 'contradictory.'

The SB claims to be devoid of occultnick bunk and yet contains the Enochian Keys, long since discovered as a hoax.

LaVey fails to nail down whether the Satanist actually believes in a God of the divine state, as opposed to the self. "If god DOES exist, then he better have medicare!"

How can the CoS exist as an alleged atheistic society and yet say that it's primary opposition is that of he divine deity-worshipping Christian faith? Why should we, Satanists give a damn about a prayer-offering deity worshipping religion? It should have no more relevance to us than some tribe in deepest africa that worship some forest-dwelling mystical deity!

The Satanist is reccomended to practice magic. How does the CoS quantify magic in a scientific rational age? Does it REALLY think that the energy of the individual (surely measureable by some scientific means) can effect another individual?

#35263 - 04/14/04 11:43 AM Re: Contradictory content of the Satanic Bible.
Rev_Malebranche Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: Oregon
Since you did ask in a civilized manner, I will answer these one by one. However, I do not have the time to answer all of them right now. Perhaps another moderator or a member of the hierarchy will step in and address a few points.

Quote:

The SB claims to be devoid of occultnick bunk and yet contains the Enochian Keys, long since discovered as a hoax.

A hoax? Perhaps you misunderstand the way in which they are useful. If you mean that they do not actually allow you to conjure up 'real' demons or angels to do your bidding, you are correct.

The Ritual Chamber is an intellectual decompression zone. It is a place where you indulge in psychodrama and 'magic'. Things about which the pragmatic Satanist would remain highly skeptical in daily life are embraced to achieve an effect. The imagination is allowed to run wild, to tap into the power of the unknown. We do this to achieve real world results. It doesn't matter how it works, as long as it works.

The Keys are tools.

Satanism does require some imagination.

I will check back in an hour or two.

#35264 - 04/14/04 12:13 PM Re: Contradictory content of the Satanic Bible.
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Quote:

LaVey fails to nail down whether the Satanist actually believes in a God of the divine state, as opposed to the self. "If god DOES exist, then he better have medicare!"

If you can't think your way through that one all by yourself, "we" don't want you.

Quote:

How does the CoS quantify magic in a scientific rational age? Does it REALLY think that the energy of the individual (surely measureable by some scientific means) can effect another individual?

The CoS doesn't "quantify" magic.

Solve that problem and you will probably win the Nobel Prize.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder. -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44036 Topics
406365 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements