Topic Options
#277450 - 10/16/07 11:28 AM Halloween Decorations
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Anyone find any exceptional Halloween decorations, props, etc. on the market this year?

Post links/photos if you have them.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#277453 - 10/16/07 11:46 AM Re: Halloween Decorations [Re: Svengali]
Evil Jack Offline

Loc: Florida
Not yet, atleast nothing worth mentioning...

#277456 - 10/16/07 11:56 AM Re: Halloween Decorations [Re: Svengali]
spook show Offline
CoS Member

Loc: under your bed
FrightCatalog.com

This place usually has some interesting things.

~Anton Szandor LaVey

#277459 - 10/16/07 12:32 PM Re: Halloween Decorations [Re: Svengali]
Phineas Offline
CoS Magister

"I'm fascinated with how primitive the human mind still is. It can be misdirected so easily." John Gaughan

"Success is uncommon. Therefore, not to be enjoyed by the common man." Cal Stoll

#277473 - 10/16/07 02:22 PM Re: Halloween Decorations [Re: Svengali]
Chess Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Chicago, IL USA
I've always liked putting together my own spectacular decorations out of ordinary stuff from the local Halloween store. There are a couple of outdoor decorations I've done that have turned out particularly well.

The first one is the "Car From Hell."

All you need are five or six of those fake fire pots (the kind with a fan blowing up at the orange-lit cloth), some sort of near-life-size creature (a regular plastic skeleton works great), sufficient extension cords and power strips, and a car you can arrange to keep parked as part of the decoration.

Setup is quite simple -- park the car somewhere visible and run an extension cord out to it. (Try to make the cord hard to trip over -- trick-or-treaters will be coming through, after all.) Place the firepots around the interior of the car and put the skeleton in the driver's seat. You're done.

The "car on fire" effect is quite startlingly realistic at night, at all distances from up close to all the way down the block. And even a cheap skeleton looks great in the flickering "firelight".

(I got the idea from here. His pictures don't really do the concept justice -- it looks truly spectacular.) I know that using your car as part of the decoration is likely to be a sticking point, but even if you only leave it up for the duration of a Halloween party, the effect is well worth the setup effort.

The second decoration is a rather more subtle effect which (for obvious reasons) only works at night. All you need are some black helium-filled balloons, a glow stick, and some fishing line.

Again, setup is simple. Tie several balloons (you'll need to experiment a little to figure out how many you'll need for the necessary lift) to the end of the fishing line, and attach the glow stick to the line, at least ten or fifteen feet below the balloons. Then just play out the fishing line as you let the entire assembly float up well above the rooftops and treetops. Anchor the line somewhere and you're done.

And so you have a glowing... SOMETHING hovering high overhead, gently weaving and bobbing. It doesn't look or move like anything that people are accustomed to seeing in the sky, and it's visible for quite a large distance. Is it a ghost? A fairy? A UFO? Expect curious onlookers from all over the neighborhood coming by and trying to figure out what the Hell it is. And if you have several of them, at different colors and different heights, it starts looking really odd...

(The reason for hanging the glow stick so far below the balloons is simply to separate them. The balloons are less visible, but more readily identifiable once spotted. Keeping them separate means the eye is only drawn to that lone glowing THING hanging in the sky.)

There are, of course, plenty of variations on the theme. Some people have had good results putting the glowstick inside a white balloon to diffuse it a bit. (In my testing, I found that dimmed the light too much, but your taste may vary.) If it's cloudy, gray balloons might be less visible against the sky than black. And if it's too windy, call the whole thing off or the line will just get caught in the nearest tree.

-Chess

#277503 - 10/16/07 05:15 PM Re: Halloween Decorations [Re: Svengali]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Here
Sure, here are a few fun sites I've been browsing:

Death Studios Masks
http://www.deathstudios.com/Masks/Masks.cfm
Twisted Toy Box
http://www.twistedtoybox.net/props.htm
Custom Creatures
http://www.customcreatures.com/
Lubatti Designs
http://lubattidesigns.com/
Bad Planet Costumes
http://www.badplanet.com/asp/itemlist.asp?T=I&K=adevils

"Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it."

Church of Satan

#277866 - 10/18/07 08:40 AM Re: Halloween Decorations [Re: Svengali]
Atrum Offline
Banned

This year, Spirit Halloween (Spencer's Gifts) has a few items that are interesting in the Halloween section of their website.

Spencer's Gifts

#278153 - 10/19/07 06:46 PM Re: Halloween Decorations [Re: Svengali]
Ram_Abbalah Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Reno, NV
Great Halloween prints can be found at the COS Emporium or at the artist's website.
"...I have built a mechanical sanctuary. In it copper bats fly on electric beams, brass rats scuttle in plastic cellars, robot skeletons dance; robot vampires, harlequins, wolves, and white phantoms, compounded of chemical and ingenuity, live here."

"Usher II"
The Martian Chronicles
by Ray Bradbury

#278949 - 10/23/07 10:12 PM Re: Halloween Decorations [Re: Svengali]
Enchantress Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Canada
I found something, Magister!

Microsoft has unveiled a new touch screen computer that is built into a coffee table.

You could take pictures and slide them across the top, flip and turn them over, and check your email at the same time. You will be able to set gadgets like ipod's, phones, PDA's and various other things on it and the table will interface with them.

Microsoft touch screen table computer
Undercroft Sign Up

#278962 - 10/23/07 11:13 PM Re: Halloween Decorations [Re: Enchantress]
JayLucif Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Helheim
Interesting though Microsoft is no doubt through their business tactics to monopolize on this. Remembering scenes from the movie Minority Report I figured this technology was coming soon, very soon. There is another company can't remember the name right off hand, that is also developing a kind of paint on acrylic screen that can be used to make a video interface on any size wall, as well as another company forgot the name as well that has developed a flexible kind of material that can have a video interface as well. The Future is here now that is for sure.

"With a price tag between $5,000 and $10,000 per unit, Microsoft isn't immediately aiming for the finger painting set. (The company said it expects prices to drop enough to make consumer versions feasible in three to five years.)"

Freedom, baby is never having to say you're sorry. Guilt is like a bag of fuckin' bricks. All ya gotta do is set it down. John Milton - The Devil's Advocate!

I'm gonna pull the whole thing down. I'm gonna bring the whole fuckin' diseased, corrupt temple down on your head. It's gonna be biblical. Clyde Shelton - Law Abiding Citizen!

------------------------------------------------------------

#278967 - 10/23/07 11:25 PM Re: Halloween Decorations [Re: JayLucif]
Enchantress Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Canada
Flexible fabric with video interface reminds me of wearable computers being developed by MIT.

Wearable Computers from MIT
Undercroft Sign Up

#354324 - 10/06/08 02:53 AM The most violent Samhain cards I've seen yet [Re: JayLucif]
ror Offline
CoS Member

Loc: DracUR, Kalifornien: Yay Area
http://danzig-verotik.com/vworld/other17.htm
Description:
Simon Bisley, Jason Pearson, Kent Williams, Dave Stevens, Martin Emond, Wayne Robertson, Drew
Price $7.95 (Limited Supply)
Shipping took a month to arrive and I live in the same state as the company!

#354349 - 10/06/08 07:27 AM Re: Halloween Decorations [Re: Svengali]
tekku Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: Behind You
I actually stumbled upon this not long ago whilst browsing online for some items.

Haven't seen anything better yet. tiki

La bonne cuisine est la base du véritable bonheur ~Escoffier~

Church of Satan

#356378 - 10/21/08 03:39 AM Re: [Re: ror]
ror Offline
CoS Member

Loc: DracUR, Kalifornien: Yay Area
I little too kiddyish but worth a mention. The actual store had some nice hanging masks and invitation cards for half off:
http://disneyshopping.go.com/webapp/wcs/...ategoryId=13742

Forum Stats
12009 Members
73 Forums
43824 Topics
405196 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements