Topic Options
#356411 - 10/21/08 01:11 PM CoF, Religion or Cult?
waterwolf Offline

Loc: England
Hello, My son recently lost marks on an R.E. test because he used Satanism as an example of a religion, To be perfectly honest it matters little to me if Satanism is classed as a cult or a religion or anything else for that matter but I would like to know what it is 'technically' classed as because I do care about my son's education and I'd love to regain him some marks. Thankyou very much for you time.

#356422 - 10/21/08 03:16 PM Re: CoF, Religion or Cult? [Re: waterwolf]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

I don't know what the CoF is.

But yes, we classify Satanism as a religion. And The Church of Satan is a registered religious organisation in the USA.

#356426 - 10/21/08 03:59 PM Re: CoF, Religion or Cult? [Re: waterwolf]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Can you explain the difference between a religion and a cult?

#356443 - 10/21/08 05:58 PM Re: CoF, Religion or Cult? [Re: waterwolf]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
"Technically classed as" according to whom? First of all, I don't see why the two terms would necessarily be mutually exclusive. More importantly, "cult" is a loaded and strictly derogatory term. No group would ever identify itself as a "cult". This article elaborates:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/cults.htm

Satanism is indeed a religion, since we have our own versions of main components that other religions have (dogma, ceremony, symbolism, conduct/ethics code, a central source of official literature, etc.). Here in the US and in many other countries, it is legally recognized as a religion.

We do not, however, share the characteristics that are stereotypical of "cults". The Church of Satan does NOT demand that members ever even meet each other, does not demand irrelevant sacrifices from one's own personal life (unless it involves illegal activity; we don't condone that), we don't prevent people from leaving if they want to, etc.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#356522 - 10/22/08 02:04 PM Re: CoF, Religion or Cult? [Re: Bill_M]
waterwolf Offline

Sorry, i think i should add that it is not me who saw it as a cult, this is what my son's R.E teacher said to him.

Edited by waterwolf (10/22/08 02:04 PM)

Forum Stats
12016 Members
73 Forums
43827 Topics
405219 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements