Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#35640 - 04/18/04 10:04 PM Re: Values and individualism [Re: Wonka]
TheRaven Offline

Loc: Usa, Pa
Quote:

Yes, our species possess the ability to set our own values and priorities.

If you don't mind, I would like to offer some personal advice: Downplay how much "free money" you have rolling around to everyone who is concerned about your finances (within legal bounds, of course). That discourages freeloading/theft.

cool

#35641 - 04/18/04 10:09 PM Re: Thank you! [Re: Nemo]
TheRaven Offline

Thank for highlighting that I also like the idea that she mention that.

And thanks Discarnate Entity , that is something that I will do.

#35642 - 04/19/04 12:15 AM Re: Values and individualism
Scratch Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Wonderful! This is some of the best advice I've heard lately.

Kinma is absolutely correct. If you make your mistakes, don't worry about them. Take what you can from them by fixing them to improve your life and by learning from them.

Your mother is an adult and it's not your obligation to raise and support her. No one's got any right trying to lay a guilt trip on you either and I'm glad you realize that, dear. You earned your money and no one has any damned place to tell you how you should spend it, and if it makes you happy to spend it however you've chosen to, more power to you.

One other morsel of information I may offer you: reject their criticism skillfully. Play your cards right, and if ever you should need some assistance, they will not for a moment hesitate to offer it and more. Sometimes we make mistakes and things fall out of our hands, and then we must borrow someone else's. Sometimes your hands can't reach that cookie jar and you'll need a boost.

Be coy and reject them with a smile. If they reject you, you can lay the guilt trip on them while you yourself are immune to it.

More power to you, Raven. HS

#35643 - 04/19/04 12:40 PM Re: Values and individualism [Re: Scratch]
TheRaven Offline

Thanks Scratch.

#35644 - 04/21/04 02:03 AM Re: Values and individualism [Re: TheRaven]
Anonymous
Unregistered

In my experience's with this subject, I have found that people in general have a comfort level. For some ungodly reason most people feel more comfortable being surounded by those most like them. Hence the saying "Fear The Unknown." Therefor they choose instead to accept ones for themselves and their personal values, to force their vaules and priorities unto you. All to make theirselfs more Comfortable. Therefore unconsicously acting Satanically and fulfilling their Slefish, Healthy Well being....

#35645 - 04/21/04 04:53 AM Re: Values and individualism [Re: TheRaven]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Florida
Something came to mind the other day. I realize how the monkeys (the herd) are quick to tell another indivual that their priorities are screwed up just because their values is not the same as theirs. They believe everyone's values should be the same.

I know what you mean. It's a facet of solipsism. Certain individuals tend to be so stuck in their own heads that they believe that there has to be something wrong if they disagree with someone on a particular point. Of course, since they themselves are infallible (so they believe), the problem must lie with who ever disagrees with them. This can be especially disconcerting when it occurs with friends and family. Due to their emotional bond, they will try anything within their power to "fix the problem" (in other words, change your mind). Such is the path to unhappiness.

The fact is that people are different. Even in the closest human relationships there's bound to be a difference in perspective. The only measure of right and wrong is the success you find in applying the principles you live by.

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#35646 - 04/21/04 02:06 PM Re: Values and individualism [Re: TheRaven]
CannibalSpirit Offline

Loc: Lima, Perú
Scales of values are as varied and numerous as many INTELLIGENT human beings are in this planet.

It is expected then that some of these scales of value will collide one against another.

When this happens, one should respect the other person's scale of value as much as you would like yours to be respected...

... until the conflict affects you negatively, when you should simply eliminate the obstacle and move on.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Forum Stats
12282 Members
73 Forums
43881 Topics
404446 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements