Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#361018 - 11/19/08 01:19 PM Something that kind of bothered me...
HorrorCore Offline

Loc: WA
The college I'm currently attending has a large majority of students who are activists for a plethora of different causes. Whenever I'm walking around campus I'm bombarded with kids stopping me and trying to get at my wallet to support their cause. I'm sure some of them are legitimate causes, but most of the time I'm really just not interested in giving away my hard earned money to some stranger so that it will supposedly help stop some war in africa thousands of miles away.

One particular incident really bugged me yesterday though,
I went to go eat lunch at my cafeteria and at the door there were kids standing there begging me to donate $7 so somebody else could have a free meal. I declined and went inside to get my lunch and sit down.

So not only were they at the entrance begging, but there were also kids standing inside the cafeteria with giant erasable markers, again, trying to get me to donate. But this time, if I donated, I get to sign my name on the window! All I wanted to do was to sit down and enjoy my meal, but instead I get hassled and guilt tripped and bribed with the oppertunity to display my name proudly on the window so that everybody could see that I was a "good person" for donating.

Anyway, just a little rant... What do you think the best way to deal with these kinds of people is?

Edited by HorrorCore (11/19/08 01:39 PM)

#361022 - 11/19/08 02:03 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: HorrorCore]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Create your own cause.

If they are asking you for say, seven dollars, tell them you will gladly donate seven dollars to their cause if they in turn donate 8 dollars to your cause.

Make a dollar at every turn! wink

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#361044 - 11/19/08 03:35 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: HorrorCore]
Ice Claw Offline

CoS Member

Originally Posted By: HorrorCore
What do you think the best way to deal with these kinds of people is?

Your way is the best way, be creative crossbones

Let us know what you come up with.

#361065 - 11/19/08 05:03 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Evil_Eve]
Neuroticax Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI
Originally Posted By: Evil_Eve
Create your own cause.

If they are asking you for say, seven dollars, tell them you will gladly donate seven dollars to their cause if they in turn donate 8 dollars to your cause.

Make a dollar at every turn! wink

Sounds like a plan to me. wink

- Art is born of the observation and investigation of nature. - Cicero (106 BC - 43 BC)

- The answer to 1984 is 1776.

(`._)Neuroticax(`._)

#361067 - 11/19/08 05:14 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: HorrorCore]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

Keep your pimp hand strong. Tell them to give YOU some goddamn money!

#361068 - 11/19/08 05:18 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Callier]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Originally Posted By: Callier
Keep your pimp hand strong. Tell them to give YOU some goddamn money!

Haha! New quote.

#361072 - 11/19/08 05:28 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: HorrorCore]
thisonelife Offline

if you wan't to give away 7$ to make yourself feel good for someone you don't even know, more power to you!

#361076 - 11/19/08 05:59 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: HorrorCore]
Virus9 Offline
CoS Priest

Loc: Florida
Tell them that $7 to provide one meal for one person is absolutely ridiculous. These people are college students, too, right? Haven't they ever heard of Ramen?

"Recognize the phrase 'national interest' as a synonym for 'self-interest' and you will find no moral obstacle that cannot be removed from the highway of ambition."
-Lewis Lapham

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."
-Winston Churchill

#361077 - 11/19/08 05:59 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: thisonelife]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
seven cents for the goodguy badge (in this example the freaking window *also notice ERASABLE markers*) is too much, let alone seven dollars.

Tell them "Sorry I'm donating a dollar a day to a kid in Africa. If I gave you this money, he wouldn't be able to eat for a whole week." or ask if YOU could have the free meal because you don't have any money.

#361078 - 11/19/08 06:01 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Virus9]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Virus9
Tell them that $7 to provide one meal for one person is absolutely ridiculous. These people are college students, too, right? Haven't they ever heard of Ramen?

laugh LMAO! Pull the pieces of noodle in half, pour the powder inside and there you have it: A Ramen Noodle Sandwich...

#361080 - 11/19/08 06:04 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Virus9]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Quote:
Haven't they ever heard of Ramen?

I laughed out loud after reading that. wink

I have known FAR too many new reserves (Flight Attendants) that LIVED on Ramen Noodles for MONTHS ON END. Shrimp Ramen.....chicken Ramen.... one gal even bought it in bulk at that Costco store.

Just add hot water! A meal for mere cents. Speaking of such...they still make that Spam stuff in the can don't they? And potted ham or meat or whatever gel type substance it is....

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.

#361084 - 11/19/08 06:13 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Evil_Eve]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Evil_Eve

Just add hot water! A meal for mere cents.

Back in the hood, we ate that shit dry.

Just get a thing of Top Ramen and crumble that shit down while it's still in the bag. Open the bag, pull out the seasoning and pour that shit in. Close up the bag, shake it up really good and BAM! Ramen snack baby. cool

#361085 - 11/19/08 06:14 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Callier]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
I thought I was the only freak who ate it dry...

#361086 - 11/19/08 06:14 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Callier]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Except some packages, where the powder gets into your sinuses.

Get ramen spice in your sinuses, and your gonna have a bad time.

#361088 - 11/19/08 06:22 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Callier]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Ramen snack eh?

I am intrigued. I may have to conduct a Scientific experiment.... YES I DO have Ramen noodles in My food bank. Hmmmmmm..... (Eve shuffles to the downstairs food bank pantry.) eek coopdevil

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
12024 Members
73 Forums
43832 Topics
405256 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM