Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#361133 - 11/19/08 09:34 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: HorrorCore]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Originally Posted By: HorrorCore
If they really cared about their causes so much, they could spend less time begging and more time working so that they could donate their own hard earned cash.

That sums it up. I'll remember to say that to the next "activist" that comes asking for a donation.

#361138 - 11/19/08 10:33 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: HorrorCore]
HammerOfDoubt Offline

Loc: Miami, FL
Since Obamania got all these brats into politics, the college PC Charity mobs have tripled in size.

I won't go into details, but they know me well enough to stay out of my way.

#361145 - 11/19/08 11:13 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: HorrorCore]
WolfMoon Offline

I generally look at them and say "No." Then I walk away or turn my head. Problem solved.

#361156 - 11/20/08 01:42 AM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: HammerOfDoubt]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Originally Posted By: HammerOfDoubt
Since Obamania got all these brats into politics, the college PC Charity mobs have tripled in size.

I won't go into details, but they know me well enough to stay out of my way.

So far they are just ASKING. Wait until they start DEMANDING.

One of the reasons I left my native country is I was tired people knocking at my door on Sunday mornings to tell me I HAD to do "voluntary work" (euphemism for mandatory + unpaid) "for the good of the community".

Back then I expected America was the last place in the world where that could happen. I'm not so sure now.

#361157 - 11/20/08 02:08 AM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Old_Pig]
Jack_Lantern Offline
CoS Member

Loc: America
Originally Posted By: Tha_Pig
I thought I was the only freak who ate it dry...

No, no you aren't.

Edited by Jack_Lantern (11/20/08 02:09 AM)

#361172 - 11/20/08 07:00 AM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Zaftig]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Originally Posted By: Zaftig
That's not the worst of it.

I ate my cereal with this shit:

If it is of any consolation to you......My father put both My sister and I through private school and We ate that too (errr drank that stuff) only OURS came in a cardboard box!

I have some in My pantries in case of EMG. (EMG ONLY!)

Warlock Callier: I love that fake assed powdered orange shit! I used to to just eat that shit out of the packet. Sometimes I would open TWO boxes and make the mac from ONE box and save the other mac for later (put butter on it) and use BOTH cheese like substance packets in ONE portion of mac and cheese. I would put a whole stick of butter (margarine back then as We couldn't afford real butter) and mix that shit up nice and thick.

YUM!

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#361175 - 11/20/08 07:15 AM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Zaftig]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Originally Posted By: Zaftig
And...

You really can subsist on Tastykake pies. They are cheap, pure, cellophane-wrapped joy. And they pack that extra high caloric content for anyone needing to eke out minimum daily requirements from a pocketful of change. Of course, all of those weird artificial preservatives probably embalm people en vivo but whatever. I always had a suspicion that student loans were not the only debt I continued to pay after my school days. grin

I was never approached by beggars while I was in college. Probably because I looked like I’d just rolled out of my own cardboard home being such a ragamuffin and I had a pronounced “jingle” walk. If it was not change for the bus, it was change for my 5000 calorie 99 cent meal.

The only thing that did make my ears go back was being hollered at by protesters outside of hospitals and clinics. Not something necessarily associated solely with college but having someone scream (ridiculously inaccurate) epithets 0.2 millimeters away from the tip of my nose was one of the most distinctly unpleasant experiences I can remember.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#361178 - 11/20/08 07:21 AM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Shade]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

AHHH YES!

A Flight Attendants (and Pilots) DREAM.

TASTYKAKES!

I cannot get them here. I could only find them in PA. I actually liked the carrot cakes and spiced cake treats most.

I miss those damned things. I'm going to either A) Go order some online and have them express shipped here, or B) Go off into a corner and cry over the love lost between TastyKakes and I. (We had a great relationship you see).

CHEAP IS GOOD when you first start out with little or no money in your pockets. Those damned little gems saved My life (more than once).

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.

#361197 - 11/20/08 09:15 AM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Evil_Eve]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Hmmm...never had Tastycakes. They look really sugary. Wonder if they're available in Canada.

We have our own sugar, flour and food colouring "cakes" sold at the Dollarama. I think they're called "twankies" or something. Can't beat expired food in plastic wrap for pennies a piece.

#361201 - 11/20/08 09:30 AM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Zaftig]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
In my undergrad days, my friends and I would go to the local corner store every Sunday, and buy cases of Vachon cakes that were marked down on account of having been knocked around during shipping. So cheap, so sugary, omnomnom!!

#361203 - 11/20/08 09:49 AM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: HorrorCore]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Originally Posted By: HorrorCore
The college I'm currently attending has a large majority of students who are activists for a plethora of different causes.

I took one look at that place during my college search yea so many years ago, smelled the weed, saw the giant butcher paper banners for every cause under the sun ringing the walls of the student center, and ran.

How many more years do you have left to serve, if I can ask?

Oh, and I love Eve's idea of hitting them up for YOUR cause, as well as Hester Moffet's idea that you should just guilt-trip them by saying your precious money is going to a poor starving Ethiopian, and don't they want HIM to eat?

Honestly, if it were me, I'd just tell people "No," and if they really started to get annoying, I'd buy more Easy Mac, Ramen, and boxed foods to make myself in my own dorm, and/or I'd go to eat at the cafeteria outside of peak hours. But, I'm boring that way wink.

Now, if I wanted to get my troll on, I'd do one or both of two things:

1) I'd argue with these people about the political and social implications of these hand-outs---how hand-outs make people dependent on the Man, how they result in a decrease in self-efficacy and self-esteem, and how they convey our lack of faith in the other person's ability to be or become an autonomous adult. At least seeing people stammer, stutter, and have to re-collect their bearings would be hilarious.

2) I'd turn their own rhetoric against them, and play a "more liberal-and-principled-than-thou" game. Sniffing your money is going to Ethiopia or to inner-city rape victims is one way to play this game. Suggesting that people are practicing paternalism or colonialism, or are furthering the cause of globalization, patriarchy, or some variety of oppression by giving others hand-outs, is another. People often freak out when they think they're dealing with someone even more ideologically hardcore than they are.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#361210 - 11/20/08 10:13 AM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: TrojZyr]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
This thread has become a discussion of snacky-cakes!

Ramen Noodles,Pork Rinds,Twinkies,Mac N Cheese (I got the blue box blues).

As to the cereal is a meal too comment: When I was younger, and still on some days today (even though milk is 4.00 a gallon here) I could eat cereal for 4 square meals a day! Ummmm Cocoa Pebbles, Raisin Bran, Crispix.

#361218 - 11/20/08 10:54 AM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: ArtAche86]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

Quote:
This thread has become a discussion of snacky-cakes!

They and the activists are nutritional and intellectual equivalents.

#361219 - 11/20/08 10:57 AM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: ArtAche86]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

A gallon of milk cost more than a gallon of gas in Kentucky?

I thought you all had your own milking cow out back? laugh coopdevil

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.

#361220 - 11/20/08 11:01 AM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Zaftig]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

I have never heard of 'Twankies' but in the States We do have the Hostess bakery which makes "Twinkies".

This is a golden sponge cake with three holes on the bottom which are pumped with some type of white creme filling.

I am told that these cakes can last through an atomic blast and that all though they are stamped with a shelf life.....they have enough preservatives inside them to last FOREVER.

Actually....Scientific experiment coming up. I have some Twinkies hidden away that I had forgotten about until this thread. I have had them for nearly a year...... I would like to open one and see if it feels the same... I may even take a bite or at the very least dig My finger into one of those holes (HEY NOW!) and see what the inside taste like...

Stop it you PERVERTS! This IS FOR SCIENCE!

Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
12017 Members
73 Forums
43828 Topics
405224 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM