Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#362666 - 11/27/08 03:08 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: HorrorCore]
Furrtiv Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Hm, there's a brand of dry noodle snack called Super Noodles over here in the UK, and also the supermarkets do their own cheap versions, but it's never been called ramen, just noodles.

As for charity types, I simply stare blankly until they finish their nattering, then wander off. Or make weird noises to myself while they're talking. If they think you're slightly unhinged, they mostly tend to leave you alone. Especially if you can perfect the thousand-yard stare.

#363134 - 11/30/08 02:44 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Evil_Eve]
waterwolf Offline

Loc: England
"These bags/cups cost on the average (last time I checked which was around 2007) around .60 cents USD a piece."

I have to pay 7 pence for the decent english equivelant, i believe that is somewhere around 14 cents.. or im wrong.. nonetheless, there cheap

#363262 - 12/01/08 12:12 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: TheDegenerate]
Amberpocalypse Offline

Loc: Arizona
For some reason, Phoenix AZ is chock full of people asking for handouts- although here, it's mostly "citizens" on the streets and standing outside of convenience stores. I, too, am fed up with being guilt tripped for not handing my hard earned cash out to undeserving individuals who spend their days riding the bus and bumming cigarettes from people. I recently came to the realization that it's pointless to waste my energy yelling, reasoning, or evening giving them what I have. These types of people are unappreciative, undeserving, and in all honesty, should have been weeded out of our society a long time ago. After living here for 6 years, and finally being enlightened to the ways of Satanism in that time period, I've lost alot of hope for the human race. Websites such as this help to re-instill some sort of optimism in me. Thank you, everyone, for utilizing your grammar skills that were learned in 6th grade, and generally exhibiting a normal to high level of intelligence!!! laugh
Sorry for going off on a slight tangent, I know your original post was about a different kind of leech. smile

#363303 - 12/01/08 04:58 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Amberpocalypse]
all hallows
Unregistered

my friend just moved from phoenix, actually, and said it's the city with the highest amount of homeless youths. what a shame.

#370813 - 02/03/09 10:35 AM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: ]
Amberpocalypse Offline

Loc: Arizona
Oh, I'm not surprised by that statistic. Also, I heard that several years ago "they" closed some mental hospitals and just TURNED those people out on the streets. THAT'S the homeless we have here. Literally schitzophrenic and crazy/challenged people.

#370814 - 02/03/09 10:55 AM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Zaftig]
Warlock Atreus Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Dallas TX
I have to confess that my coffee creamer of choice is Carnation Evaporated Milk. I also use it on cereal. I like referring to it as 200%. The only thing better is heavy whipping cream (which is carb-free).

#370817 - 02/03/09 11:01 AM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Evil_Eve]
Warlock Atreus Offline

CoS Member

I just remembered: When I was a young kid, my mom would mix whole milk with reconstituted powdered milk to give the powdered milk a more palatable taste. Basically a half-gallon of whole milk. Make a half-gallon from powdered milk. Mix. I can't remember it being an issue, but I have rather low-brow taste buds, so there is no accounting for my judgment there.

#370820 - 02/03/09 11:16 AM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: SnoWdayZ]
Warlock Atreus Offline

CoS Member

Originally Posted By: SnoWdayZ
I prefer "Smack" Ramen over "top" Ramen. ...

I have a friend who does not like name-brand cheese puffs. He only likes the most off-brand obtainable. So, my challenge is finding the brand that sounds the most off-brand.

#370843 - 02/03/09 03:56 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Amberpocalypse]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
I saw that Denny's was having a huge promo today: "Free Grandslam Breakfast" up through 2pm. The fine print excluded a couple of locations in California. I had to wonder if there was an enormous homeless population in those parts! I wouldn't blame Denny's for wanting to avoid a scene right out of a zombie movie.

Needless to say, I steered clear of any Denny's franchises today. Considering that even the people you usally see there are people with money, I can't imagine what it looked like today.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's ‹bersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#370845 - 02/03/09 04:29 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Bill_M]
Schadenfreude-6 Offline

Loc: MB, Canada.
I always tell people that I am not interested, to please leave me be and walk away. If they persist by following me, I give them the good old "Fuck off!" and that usually works. I'm usually a polite guy but if you press me, the fangs come out.

#370846 - 02/03/09 04:51 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Schadenfreude-6]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Similarly, when on vacation (usually in Vegas) I'm often bombarded with panhandlers, charlatans, people hawking 'time shares', free shows/just look at this or give us an hour of your time etc. etc. Crap.

I deal with everyone in the same way, I start speaking in another language. Something obscure like Mongolian or a regional dialect of Ukrainian. That usually sends them packing pretty quick.

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#370847 - 02/03/09 04:56 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: HorrorCore]
dopeoncandycanes Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs
Ramen can be about fifteen cents a pack here. I like it dry, with water, with Tony's, with cheese, or (my fiance's favorite) with biggol chunks of meat and veggies and hard boiled egg and enough cayenne pepper to kill a small child.

In response to the original poster's question:

Outside the store ambushes:
"No, thanks though."

Coming to my door:
"Oh I can't subscribe, we're actually moving in two weeks, sorry." or
"My brother's doing the same fundraiser, and I already bought some stuff, I'm sorry."

Arguing/persuading at my door:
"Oh, I'll ask my husband for the cash when he comes home, kay? Do you have a pamphlet or something?"

Missionaries:
"Oh! You should come to my church, I'm (LDS/Baptist)!"

If they're giving stuff away, though, I'm all ears. Like this church that donates fifty dollar boxes of food just if you let them hold your arm and pray for you.
Uhhh... there's steak in that box!!
I deal with the prayers, I even work up an emotional thankful face and say "God bless" when they leave.
~Bernard Berenson

#370851 - 02/03/09 05:30 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Bill_M]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
Damn it. I missed the free Grand Slam?

Actually, I am thankful. I once saw a comedian do a bit on that particular joint (Denny's or Lenny's as some folks call it) that really got his dander up.

He talked about watching the Denny's commercials and how succulent those little sausages looked (when in reality they are greasy pieces of poo!). I feel the comedians last name was Jennings? He bought the farm by his own hand, that much I do remember.

As it were, I will no longer eat at a Denny's. The last time I ate there was well over a decade ago and that is only because the place was 'open' at 4AM.

There I saw a Motley Crew of (what I feel were) drunks, lowlifes, and possible drug abusers. Hell, it was 4AM after all. Still, after I did My spoon hanging off the nose trick and watched a drunk at another table attempt the same feat WITH A FORK) I kindly dismissed Myself from that establishment all together. Did make for great comedy though, I mean, the guy stuck the fork UP his nose, not on it.

Yes, TRUE story.

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#370872 - 02/03/09 07:33 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: HorrorCore]
Dandy_Zak Offline

Loc: New England
To the OP:

It is a truth, perceived as quite ugly by some, that charity only multiplies misery. When qualities such as poverty, neediness, or simple inability to create a cause with market demand are made sustainable through charitable contributions, it succeeds only in propagating whatever ineffectual and parasitic cause it aims to alleviate. For instance, if one gives money to a homeless and jobless man, even if the man intends to use the money for clothes or food, he has made homelessness and joblessness livable, and thus decreased the overall inclination to escape such circumstances.

#370874 - 02/03/09 08:42 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Dandy_Zak]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: Dandy_Zak

It is a truth, perceived as quite ugly by some, that charity only multiplies misery.

Exactly!
It is like a child who has people dote on it excessively. I have known children who were held back, developmentally, because they were not given proper motivation.
The same principle applies.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

Page 7 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
12254 Members
73 Forums
44034 Topics
406357 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements