Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#370967 - 02/04/09 06:08 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Schadenfreude-6]
Alleycat Devil Offline

Loc: MB, Canada
Originally Posted By: J.A. Umpherville
I always tell people that I am not interested, to please leave me be and walk away. If they persist by following me, I give them the good old "Fuck off!" and that usually works. I'm usually a polite guy but if you press me, the fangs come out.

Right in my area we have a very high concentration of panhandlers, i can't even walk up the street without getting asked for change and smokes at least three times in five blocks. Durring the summer its even worse, All the panphlet beggers with a cause come out of the woodwork.

By this I mean bleeding heart (usually student) groups, the church of xenu, "representitives" from every denomination of charity organization waving bits of paper, cries for cash from HALF the churches around here (we have one every two blocks) and squeegee carrying drifters. This is on top of the already large amount of panhandlers.

Frankly the only group that seems to have the sense and mannors to take a polite declairation of "no change" and not ask further, is the squeegee carrying drifters.

#370983 - 02/04/09 09:27 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Alleycat Devil]
Schadenfreude-6 Offline

Loc: MB, Canada.
I know what you mean. Where I live it's especially bad for old alcoholic natives hanging around our grocery stores here (small community), begging for change so they can buy their next beer. It's so beyond pathetic because they say they want to go buy some coffee and they just fucking STINK like sweat, booze and shit.

Edited by J.A. Umpherville (02/04/09 09:29 PM)
Edit Reason: minor spelling errors due to just waking up

#371284 - 02/07/09 05:40 AM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Virus9]
Dean Tempest Offline

Loc: lexington, ky
Hell I am out of college & i still keep 3 full boxes of ramen in a cupboard for financial emergency's. It sucks but you know what that stuff last a long long time.

#371285 - 02/07/09 05:46 AM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Schadenfreude-6]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: J.A. Umpherville
I know what you mean. Where I live it's especially bad for old alcoholic natives hanging around our grocery stores here (small community), begging for change so they can buy their next beer. It's so beyond pathetic because they say they want to go buy some coffee and they just fucking STINK like sweat, booze and shit.

I had one of those old alcoholics approach me at the Copenhagen central station years ago. They often come up with a way too complicated story as to why they need money, but this one was different "Can you spare a dollar or two, so than an old alcoholic like me can get a beer".

I could not help being so amused by his brutal honesty that I ended up giving him the money smile

#371288 - 02/07/09 06:37 AM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: verszou]
Spelled Moon Offline
CoS Member

I didn't read whole topic, but when I read your post I needed to react. In one city station, the young little gypsy came to me and asked for 10 crowns, so he could get a chocolate bar and I gave them to him. In about five minutes came to me some woman (maybe his mother) saying to me, how kind and good looking woman I am (blabla..) and if I could gave her some money. Because her hypocritical compliments, I was so annoyed that no was a sure answer. I went a bit further and sat on the bench. And then came the cherry on top of the cake - one old gypsy woman, which told me long long story about how ill she is and how hard she has it in her life (with that false exaggerated tone of voice) and which surgical operations she went through...And her monologue was ending with, guess what. I let her talking and then said no.
But it is really incredible, how "well organised" these families are. zombie
they continually try to "attack" your feelings.

#371292 - 02/07/09 07:17 AM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Spelled Moon]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: Spelled Moon
But it is really incredible, how "well organised" these families are. zombie
they continually try to "attack" your feelings.

Absolutely smile you showed initial "weakness" and they tried to milk it for all that it was worth. It's very well done, but in the end these people don't think win-win, they try to get as much as they can in the here and now - ending up annoying you and probably closing off that avenue of income for the future, whereas if they'd just hit you for a smaller amount they could have done so again the next week, and the week after that and so on ...

I've seen the same thing at concerts here. To get people to recycle there is a deposit on beer bottles and so on, so at any concert you can basically just throw it over your shoulder and some entrepreneuring young person will make sure it is recycled while cashing in on your laziness (and the kids learn a valuable lesson about how to get money smile ). However these gypsies tend to work the concert places as well and approach you even when you are halfway finished with your beer. So in the end the annoyance factor tends to make you specifically give the empty bottle to a kid or just anybody else.

#371310 - 02/07/09 09:21 AM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Dean Tempest]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

Unfortunately ramen is one of the worst "survival" foods around. Shit for calorie or nutritional value, a bowl of unembellished ramen is nothing but starch and water, good for a few minutes of energy and not much else.

I much more strongly recommend stockpiling...pinto beans. Dry beans will store for a plenty long time, boil them up and you get starch and protein in a high calorie meal that takes nothing but water and heat to prepare. $10 worth of beans will keep even a hungry man fed for a week, $2 worth will sustain life without issue.

Dried oatmeal is another pretty good choice for the same reason and can be flavored pretty easily with anything you have.

Way I see it, hard times means you take the first job you get, which probably means hard ass work. Look at the back of a pack of ramen and tell me that has enough calories to even lift a good tool, let alone put it to use.

#371329 - 02/07/09 03:03 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Before moving west I lived in Toronto, Ontario which, as a major metropolitan city, has more than its fair share of transients, drug addicts, alcoholics, runaways, the mentally ill, and as J.A. Umpherville mentioned, drunk natives, all looking for a free ride.

They would congregated in the downtown core which is where I lived and I couldn't go to the store, subway, laundry or anywhere without being constantly harassed. (even worse was when I lived down the street from the Morgentaler abortion clinic but that's another topic/story)

Before settling on speaking in tongues, I too used to employ the 'ignore/no/fuck off' method. It sometimes worked. Other times it just made them angry and I got followed down the street. Once or twice I even had to use physical force to get them to back off. Luckily drunks are easy to knock down and the police tended to haul them off to the tank instead of me.

My rationale for not giving them my 'spare change' was this:
a) I didn't really have any 'spare change'. I needed all my money for myself.
b) If I didn't contribute, someone else eventually would and I was fine with that. Better them than me.
c) If I gave them a handout, I wouldn't really be helping them. And since they weren't doing anything to help themselves, why should I?

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#371619 - 02/11/09 07:43 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Lilibeta]
HorrorCore Offline

Loc: WA
I'm still getting hit up for donations every single day. There are groups of 5 or 6 people scattered around campus now who stand out there every day asking people if they "want to save the polar bears" or "save our natural resources". The thing is, they don't even remember me. For example, yesterday I walked into the library and they asked me to donate $20 a month to save polar bears. I declined and went inside. Not even an hour later; I leave the library and the same chick asks me to donate AGAIN.

Ugh.... Now that I think about it, I don't think I've actually seen a polar bear in real life.

#371640 - 02/12/09 01:00 AM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: ]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Ravenhael
Start your own group "PEOPLE FOR PERSONAL PEACE AND PRIVACY".

Sounds like their meetings would be tough to locate, never mind attend. wink

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#371674 - 02/12/09 09:29 AM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: HorrorCore]
Descendant Offline

Loc: Inland Empire, Ca
Lately there has been an infestation of Kids in parking-lots, in just about any high volume shopping-center, selling candy or sometimes worthless little gadgets out of plastic totes. In some cases these are legitimate fund-raisers for school sports activities or bands, etc...I have noticed though, there aren't just school kids fundraising anymore, now there are street punks who's parents go to Costco and buy cases of candy and have their kids push them outside of stores, sometimes just outside of the stores exit, sometimes ducking in and out of cars in the lot. I watched one Kid change his price 3 times to 3 different people, along with his sales-pitch, it was kind of funny. I just don't take well to people walking up to me as I'm getting in my car or making snide remarks as I walk past them and their candy that I could have just bought for 1/3 less in the store. End of Rant.

Edited by Descendant (02/12/09 10:52 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#371676 - 02/12/09 10:17 AM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Descendant]
Warlock Atreus Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Dallas TX
You get those in the subway of New York City. I just took my cue from the other people sitting in the car and pretended like they were not there. Though, being from the south, it is a bit of a challenge to not look at someone who is talking to me.

#371720 - 02/12/09 05:06 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Warlock Atreus]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
@horrorcore: That chick probably didn't even look at you. It's easier that way. You might ask questions, take up 20 minutes of her time and still not donate, meanwhile dozens of other potential marks have walked by unsolicited.

The voice of experience, I was Sea Cadet when I was a kid and we all HAD to work 'tag day', donate coins, get a tag that says 'I support Sea Cadets' on it. I hated it.

BTW, I have seen a polar bear, but we have them walking down the streets in some parts of Canada (haha). Rather cuddly looking when they aren't tearing open garbage bins.

@Descendant: Ugh! The candy kids! BF1 falls for it every time! He'll spend $3-$5 on one box (about 1/2 cup) of chocolate covered almonds and then present them to me like he's just handed me the Hope Diamond, completely forgetting that I'm allergic to nuts. 'But it's for a good cause!' he'll say.....

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#371723 - 02/12/09 05:26 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Warlock Atreus]
Hedonist Offline

Loc: Australia
I tend to address it on a case by case basis. 99% of the time, I either say nothing to them or snarl something terse and keep walking (I am a firm believer in the 11th Rule of the Earth) - and the way it is delivered is enough to stop them from pressing the point. But occasionally, if I am feeling in a very good mood and they are skilled at what they do, I will give them some money.

The most recent case I can think of was when I was in a good mood (but quite tired) and was approached by a junky type who apologized for stopping me in a crowded area and asked for a couple of dollars, showing me a doctors script for prozac or something and saying that he was $2 short (a very clever ploy really). He was very polite and seemingly apologetic for it and mentioned a couple of times that I looked like I had had a bad day, but as I gave him the money I told him I was just tired after having spent the last 3 hours fucking (which was why I was in a good mood!) and he laughed quite heartily at that as I walked away with a grin of my own.

If they have some skill in lesser magic and impress me like that, I might just reward it. But it all depends entirely on my mood and their delivery.

#371915 - 02/15/09 06:10 PM Re: Something that kind of bothered me... [Re: Jack_Lantern]
S810 Offline

Loc: northwest
6 billion people? yeah right, your not the only one doing anything.

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Forum Stats
11889 Members
73 Forums
43636 Topics
404131 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements