Topic Options
#36109 - 04/19/04 01:18 AM Selling rare/autographed Satanic Bible on eBay?
Zzyp Offline

Loc: Titusville, Florida, USA
Something I saw a few years ago, and still see ocassionaly, that really bothers me, is when I was looking for older/foriegn versions of The Satanic Bible on eBay, and saw a copy of the first pressing, autographed by Anton LaVey with a personal message. Its pretty likely that the person who owned this is a Satanist and is in the Church of Satan. What bothers me is why would they sell something like that? I see autographed copies of The Satanic Bible come up from time to time on eBay and I don't think that EVERY one of them is just some random person who found it, or got it from a friend/relative that died. What do you guys think about people selling stuff like this?

#36110 - 04/19/04 01:48 AM Re: Selling rare/autographed Satanic Bible on eBay? [Re: Zzyp]
SilverHammer Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Connecticut
Many of the LaVey autographs I have seen on Ebay are obvious forgeries, and I have verified this fact with a former member of the CoS heirarchy who has many authentic ones. I have seen others that are also obviously real. I won't go into a buying guide because I don't know the CoS's stance on collecting such items, but there are some fairly easy ways to tell.

Personally, I see nothing disrespectful or wrong in collecting an item autographed or owned by Dr. LaVey. I know that I would love to own such an item, because it came into contact with an individual that I admire and for whom I have the utmost respect. But others may feel differently.

www.myspace.com/savagegod

#36111 - 04/19/04 02:17 AM Re: Selling rare/autographed Satanic Bible on eBay? [Re: SilverHammer]
Zzyp Offline

Loc: Titusville, Florida, USA
I didn't mean was there anything bad about collecting, but how do you feel about the people who have this stuff and don't want it/sell it?

#36112 - 04/19/04 03:33 AM Re: Selling rare/autographed Satanic Bible on eBay? [Re: Zzyp]
Bedrosian Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Finland
Well, if I personally had an autographed version of The Satanic Bible I would probably never sell it - except maybe for a extremely good price. Everything (like everyone) has it's (their) price, and I personally can't see why it would be a problem to anyone except the buyer.

You noted that you have nothing against collecting such items: If no one would be willing to sell their own items, collecting them would prove to be a tad problematic, wouldn't it?

In a nutshell: I might not sell such an item, but it is not my problem if someone else wants to. Hey, at least they're making a buck and some Satanist (perhaps) can get an item he cherishes. Win-Win, I'd say.

#36113 - 04/19/04 03:51 AM Re: Selling rare/autographed Satanic Bible on eBay? [Re: Zzyp]
Jack_Bauer Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Germany
Quote:

how do you feel about the people who have this stuff and don't want it/sell it?

Why bother about other people's motives?
It is their decision to keep or sell their stuff.
So don't complicate things and make other's decisions your business.
Live your life, instead of thinking about someone else's.

#36114 - 04/19/04 04:14 AM Re: Selling rare/autographed Satanic Bible on eBay? [Re: Zzyp]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
Dr. LaVey himself placed high value on such items. Often the monetary value of a personal possession came secondary to the sentimental value or the rarity.

He himself collected all manner of oddities and rarities for the sheer pleasure of owning them.

It is said that he hated it when people sold such items; disregarding ownership in favour of a quick buck.

I agree with him wholeheartedly. I own items I would never part with. Some are worth hundreds and thousands, but the monetary value is not the issue. It is owning a rarity or a piece of history. Other things I own are worth nothing financially but are priceless to me because they were given by a friend.

When one owns a rare item, that item has magical power.

I do not see why anyone would part with such things. But of course, their shallowness is an opportunity for the rest of us.

In specific regards to a book signed by Dr. LaVey though; how nice to have the opportunity to own such a thing.

But what an utter injustice that anyone would sell, especially if it were given to them by Dr. LaVey himself.

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

Forum Stats
12157 Members
73 Forums
43918 Topics
405736 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements