Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#362493 - 11/26/08 02:13 PM Subscriptions ???
Magister Frost Offline

CoS Magister

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Well finally the time has come... as some of you know ... the server we are sitting on right now was hacked a few days ago. Just to give you some statistics ... this server gets "attacked" by over 500 IP addresses a day. Most of the attacks are from outside the USA, mostly from Romania, slovic nations, russia, china ... but most of them are just random brute force scripts that get blocked easily. The hackers in this case used a flaw in one of the website scripts from a site I was hosting, they were able to gain access to the server and modify the files on it in order to open some back doors into the system. Now I caught it before they could do any real harm. But as with any server, once it has been hacked and files have been modifed ... you have to abandon the server because there is always the chance you miss something and they still have access.

I have patched up all the back doors I could find and so far I have been able to stop them from getting back in. Regardless, I will be purchasing a new server and moving everything over to it during the next week. Sadly, this is a TON of work, moving all the domains, files, and databases. Also re-keying all of the SSL (secure certificates) to the new server, changing all the IP addresses on the new server and a bunch of other things. So if the site seems a little flaky here and there, bare with me! I will get everything back up and running shortly with no loss of data!

The new server will be more powerful and will come with higher levels of security to stop these attacks in the future. This new server will cost a bit more than the current one so that becomes an issue. I am also not going to be hosting other peoples sites any longer, as I do not have the time to be a hosting company plus I would need employees in order to monitor the server and all the sites full time. When you charge nothing or next to nothing for hosting, that is just not feasible. All my projects and companies will remain along with churchofsatan.com, vampiretemple.com, and coopstuff.com ... all of these sites, I monitor personally and upgrade or fix any security issues as they come out. So I know these sites are safe and secure. I just do not have the time to watch and secure the dozens of other sites I host along with doing everything I do in a day (if there were only a few more hours in a day!).

I believe the time has come sadly, that I may need to charge a small subscription fee for the use of this forum. Now mind you it will only equate to $1 or $2 a month and will be in the term of per year. The Market Place, Announcements, New Users, and comments section will stay free. The subscription will be for all forums past that. Also there will NOT be an extra charge for the CoS Members area, that will remain the same, if you are a CoS Member you will have access to it at no extra charge.

So ultimately, I am interested in your thoughts and feelings towards this. I have placed a poll below and you can also reply with your thoughts.

Thank you!
Subscription Fee
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 11/26/08 02:13 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

From Hell,

Magister Frost

---------------------------------------
We're all around you, are you one of Us?
- The Church of Satan Emporium
- Satannet.com
- churchofsatan.com

#362499 - 11/26/08 02:48 PM Re: Subscriptions ??? [Re: Magister Frost]
Zaftig Offline
CoS Witch

I did not submit a vote, but I will provide my opinion.

As I use this service often, have enjoyed it, and enjoy the topics and discussions, I may indeed pay to subscribe, especially if the price was low. If my life got busier or I had a job that did not require me to sit at a computer all day, I would probably not subscribe.

However, apart from how I feel personally, I think it would limit future subscribers. If a browsing user sees only the kennel drivel they may not be inclined to think there's much more downstairs.

Also, you risk losing many of the users/members to a free forum that pops up immediately after you begin charging here. I think there's a sense of loyalty that's bred here because it is free; I'm certainly more inclined to buy goods from your sites because of how much I use the forum. But if a new user was surfing the net fresh with TSB in his mind...he/she might not be so inclined to pay for a service without knowing exactly what they're getting.

Just a few thoughts.

And...a big THANK YOU for LttD and all your hard work.

#362508 - 11/26/08 03:49 PM Re: Subscriptions ??? [Re: Magister Frost]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

Loc: PA
I have found (in my limited time here) your site to be a wonderful resource. I would not be put off by a modest sum to see LttD continue unabated.

#362522 - 11/26/08 05:23 PM Re: Subscriptions ??? [Re: Magister Frost]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
To be honest...I have been expecting this.

I'd be more than happy to pay for your services.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#362548 - 11/26/08 07:47 PM Re: Subscriptions ??? [Re: Magister Frost]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Here is my personal take on the matter.

First for the Church of Satan Members: They have access to some of the best forums downstairs. I know this because I have personally spoken to several Satanists who have given me insight on just how massive the basement really is. With a count of over 82 forums that would mean upstairs doesn't even cover half of the message board! So members of the Church of Satan would get a great benefit out of submitting the VERY small amount you are asking for.

One benefit to this is that it would encourage many non-members to step up with the goods and join in order to have possible access and not just "lurk" here. Not that joining should be for this purpose alone. It is just an added benefit.

The second benefit is that it would filter out the assholes who whine about why the Church of Satan charges money because they wouldn't want to pay to be here in the first place.

Now for non-members: Non-members unfortunately do not have access to the basement but there is a reason for this obviously. Yet I feel that the long time members of this message board should have SOME sort of access to forums that travel slightly more in depth than the portions we see now if they are willing to pay a reasonable small fee. I have honestly benefited greatly from discussions here and have learned a ton and would gladly pay. The reason why I also suggest more in depth forums is also some may not have access to PAYPAL and may actually go through the trouble of mailing in payment. I think that's loyalty in my opinion.

The benefits: Non-members would benefit because they would not have to wade through any bullshit posts because the payments would filter out the vermin. Though I admit the Moderators have always made good time of kicking people out of the door and made others laugh while doing it. The other benefit is that the discussions would be more homed in on for the forums specific use-SATANISM. Not that this board has fell short of that but here and there it has. Not anyone's fault per say accept the vermin that show up here and make a mess.

The negative: People who stumble upon this website with little concept of Satanism will not know for certain what is being offered here. How could they if they have no access to the discussions? As anyone should know, Satanists aren't too keen on taking things by faith. I am sure that this could be remedied in someway-perhaps a public questions forum of sorts, I don't know.

I would be curious to know how well this would play with insightful members of the Church of Satan. Would they be much more inclined for discussions in far more depth because the lot lice have been removed or would they still stay in the basement? Obviously nobody is obligated to provide answers, interact in discussions, or even participate with anyone. It just would be fun to see who may pop in after the stage has been swept up.

Well I thank you Magister Ventrue for being an ever patient man, wise in your ways, and working diligently in everything you have ever done. I hope once everything is settled you can at least get some extra sleep.

And thank you Moderators for doing such a damn good job!

HS!

#362554 - 11/26/08 09:28 PM Re: Subscriptions ??? [Re: Magister Frost]
Perseus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
I am happy with anything that will help improve and keep our forums up and open, and I am thankful however that members shouldn't have to pay to use their members forum (just a perk of being a member).

Thanks for everything we really appreciate it and understand the commitment and work you put into everything.

HS!

#362556 - 11/26/08 09:44 PM Blast From the Past! [Re: Unknown]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

For anyone brand new here you probably have never seen what LttD looked like say about 5-6 years ago. To really appreciate the hard work Magister Ventrue has done and understand just how far LttD truly has come: www.personalsatan.com

Edited by Unknown (11/26/08 09:47 PM)

#362560 - 11/26/08 10:21 PM Re: Blast From the Past! [Re: Unknown]
Magister Frost Offline

CoS Magister

Damn thats old smile ... I remember that though ... but ... I will have to dig in my stuff one day ... I have a floppy that has the Original version of LttD from 12 to 14 years ago ... this board has been around for a long long time!

From Hell,

Magister Frost

- Satannet.com
- churchofsatan.com

#362599 - 11/27/08 06:40 AM Re: Blast From the Past! [Re: Magister Frost]
lusus naturae Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV USA
"The Church of Satan DOES NOT have an official chat room. We have NEVER had an official chat room. There are no chat rooms affiliated in ANY WAY with the Church of Satan" -Church of Satan Chat Room Policies

"Also there will NOT be an extra charge for the CoS Members area, that will remain the same, if you are a CoS Member you will have access to it at no extra charge." -Magister_Ventrue

"First for the Church of Satan Members: They have access to some of the best forums downstairs."
"With a count of over 82 forums that would mean upstairs doesn't even cover half of the message board! So members of the Church of Satan would get a great benefit out of submitting the VERY small amount you are asking for."
-Unknown

These are details to point out, not attacks.
-No "Official" CoS Chat Room.
-No charge to CoS members for using the Chat room would make it the "Official" chat room that doesn't really exist per CoS, but a "service" to non-members not a "privilege" because of the exchange of money.
-Non-members fit the bill for Non-members AND CoS members even tough CoS members have the better deal.?

And I saw this just over a month ago:
Post #352545 Re: Thank You Magister Ventrue... "Donate to the Devil" Perhaps?
"Thank you for your suggestions but I built this system on the fact that unlike all the other sites out there, Satannet (or anything else I create for that matter) will never ask for donations. It will always be a free system, and I will do whatever I need to make sure it stays that way.

This is the core reason why I have always stated, if you want to give back to these services, purchase something from one of my stores. All proceeds from the CoS Emporium go to hosting fees and upgrades to the system (along with funding the creation of new products). In the case of my fragrance company (EveningEclipse), some proceeds from there go to funding and upgrading the Undercroft." -Magister_Ventrue

So what has changed in a month?
I ask.
I do not assume.
-me

#362607 - 11/27/08 08:29 AM Re: Blast From the Past! [Re: lusus naturae]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Your question: "what has changed in the last month?", is answered specifically and explicitly in great detail in the original post by Magister Ventrue, the first one in this thread.

1. Did you even read it? If not, read the posts before asking questions.

2. If you did read it, you seem to have a problem with basic reading comprehension, at least as far as your question here goes, as the entire post answered that exact question.

3. Or are you just being a deliberate shit disturber?

If 1., do read posts before asking silly questions.

If 2., try to understand what you're reading before posting silly questions.

If 3., just go away.

Before you respond, bear in mind that it is a Moderator of Lttd you are responding to.

A snarky and sarcastic response will only likely get you banned.

But I suspect that is actually what you want.

So, 1., or 2., or 3.?

#362608 - 11/27/08 08:31 AM Re: Blast From the Past! [Re: lusus naturae]
Ygraine Offline

CoS Magistra

Loc: Florida
Quote:
So what has changed in a month?

Where do you live?

Because if it is on the planet Earth and you haven't noticed what is happening to the economy you need to buy a newspaper.

The issue is whether the Magister, who for over a decade has provided more free services to Satanists worldwide than any other human being alive, can uphold his standard of living without some sacrifices being made.

I do not know a single human being, not a doctor, not lawyer, not a bag boy, who hasn't had to adjust for the economy.

Gambling establishment owners, drug dealers and prostitutes are the only people who fare well under this sort of economy.

Of course the other option is that whiners with no appreciation can stop having access. 'no loss there as far as I can tell.

Y~

http://magistrayrainetwo.blogspot.com/

#362611 - 11/27/08 08:55 AM Re: Blast From the Past! [Re: lusus naturae]
Magister Frost Offline

CoS Magister

As everyone has stated ... you should read ... Everything I run costs money ... that I pay out of pocket. This messageboard software costs money, the plugins cost money, the server it runs on costs money. The new server I am forced to buy costs money. My time keeping this board up costs money.

If you were not around for the ebay auctions I just had where I sold almost all of my own personal belongings that I have collected over the last decade, just to keep this server online and running ... Well I ran out of things to sell!

I have been more than generous by giving back to "Satanists" over the last 15 years. As Magistra Ygraine has mentioned, I have offered up more free services than anyone else, I have done more for Satanism online than anyone else, I have built a home for Satanists, defended it in court, and never charged a dime for it.

As you state, yes I did post that I would prefer to never charge for LttD, and that people should buy from the emporium or Evening Eclipse. Well apparently that is not happening, and I can understand why ... not everyone likes candles or uses them and most people already own everything on the emporium. One thing remains true though ... I will never ask for donations ... if a subscription fee goes in place it will be a subscription fee not a donation. With the subscription fee will come new features as with any "pay" system, more value for your money.

As far as your CoS Official chatroom rant ... you clearly did NOT read my post, I stated that everyone would have to pay the subscription fee, even CoS Members ... but they would not have to pay any EXTRA to gain access to the CoS Members section. TO add to that all board users will NOT have to pay any extra for any new and future features.

I am also trying to work out a way for the Undercroft to stay free, currently it is going to cost me a little under $1000 to bring it back online in software fees. .... and why do I spend that kind of money ...unlike all the other idiots who try these things ... I do it right the first time! I find exactly what will work and what I can modify to work ... I spend my money to buy it, I build it, and then give it out to everyone to use for free.... I don't just "deal" with free crap software and just hope it kind of works. I have dedicated half my life so far to Satanism Online ... what have you done?

From Hell,

Magister Frost

- Satannet.com
- churchofsatan.com

#362612 - 11/27/08 09:07 AM Re: Blast From the Past! [Re: lusus naturae]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

I reiterate my point.

Quote:
The second benefit is that it would filter out the assholes who whine about why the Church of Satan charges money because they wouldn't want to pay to be here in the first place.

#362624 - 11/27/08 09:36 AM Re: Blast From the Past! [Re: Unknown]
lusus naturae Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV USA
Thank you for responding Magister_Ventrue and explaining what was left out of the first statement you posted, about your normal means of paying for it not working. That is all I was questioning.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did read it. Hence the reason I replied.
The reason why I asked the question is because if YOU would have read Magister_Ventrue quote:

Here let me post again so you can read it.
"....It will always be a free system, and I will do whatever I need to make sure it stays that way."

"This is the core reason why I have always stated, if you want to give back to these services, purchase something from one of my stores. All proceeds from the CoS Emporium go to hosting fees and upgrades to the system (along with funding the creation of new products). In the case of my fragrance company (EveningEclipse), some proceeds from their go to funding and upgrading the Undercroft."

I was asking Magister_Ventrue.
I can see his stance has changed dramatically, and was inquiring why, to Magister_Ventrue as he only stated the problem was with hacking NOT how he normally supports this site.
Are the normal ways of supporting hosting fees and upgrades not working?
As a person that will have to pay the same but only have limited service, as I am NOT an elite who will have special service, I think this is a valid question.

Like I said this was NOT an attack I can see that is all I will receive from members.
I just think I hit on a nerve that most people are afraid to mention.

And yes, if you assault me hard enough I just might go away and no one will question these inconsistencies or others. Then you will have no one to question at all, just followers; as I am starting to see that is what is welcomed here, not people that question.

Edited by lusus naturae (11/27/08 09:46 AM)
I ask.
I do not assume.
-me

#362627 - 11/27/08 09:45 AM Re: Blast From the Past! [Re: lusus naturae]
RaSc Offline
CoS Member

Loc: PA
My experiences have been much different. It isn't what you ask, but how you ask it. Tact would serve you well.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Magister Frost 

Forum Stats
12171 Members
73 Forums
43938 Topics
405804 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements