Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#363540 - 12/03/08 01:25 AM Re: To be immortal [Re: LoneNights]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Here
Quote:
Now should the day come when one would live forever how would you go about it and would you even want to? At what price would you be willing to cast aside an immortal life ? (Such as being mostly robotic and unable to feel though out large portions of your body

How would I go about it? Simple - The same way I live now, by looking forward to each new day.

And why would you even want to? A better question would be - if it were possible why would I choose death? It is so final.

Lastly if the only way to stay alive depends on me being mostly robotic and unable to feel portions of my body - hook me up and plug me in.

Note: I have MS and already know what it feels like to be numb in various parts of my body on any given day.

"Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it."

Church of Satan

#363562 - 12/03/08 05:48 AM Re: To be immortal [Re: LoneNights]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
“Every scientific fact accepted today once burned as a fantastic fire in the mind of someone called mad.“ ~ The Invisible Ray

I’ve always really dug that quote. smile

Medicine is so freaking incredible, has succeeded in doing the most mind-boggling remarkable things, it‘s not too difficult to imagine that more amazing things are yet to come. But bona fide, and sometimes dangerous, nuttiness abounds in this field. Always has.

Medical technological advances interest me greatly but something that promises that you'll never die... ? That sounds like any other eternal afterlife fantasy or claim of physical incorruptibility. It doesn’t help that some organizations that espouse this sort of thing follow all of the prescripts of a cult. Unfortunately, people seem to balk at genuine medical innovations for this exact reason (they sound crazy) and that becomes a problem when it effects research funding or availability. Distinguishing the lunacy from the legitimate science is not always easy, the boundaries can blur (at least to laypeople like me), and all sides have vested interests in convincing you they‘re right.

Who wouldn’t want the Fountain of Youth? It’s an easy sell. Life extension is great but I’d personally be more thrilled with a cure for Alzheimer’s or other degenerative diseases of that nature. I would certainly avail myself of any reasonable, relatively safe technology. I understand there are no guarantees in medicine but I‘m not about to sign up for any quack treatments that cost me my retirement fund or, ironically, my quality of life. Caveat emptor.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#363734 - 12/03/08 10:40 PM A few thoughts. [Re: LoneNights]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Just a few thoughts.

First, in this context "immortal" really means "not having to die anytime soon because the body ages, wears out, or otherwise fails (dies)." (Nemo's definition).

For anything to be strictly "immortal" in the purest sense of the word, you would have to wait forever to know if it were still alive. Not really a testable sort of thing!

Reminds me of the fellow who fell off the Empire State Building and kept noting as he fell, "So far so good." wink

So, in this context with "immortal" we are really just referring to getting a body that stops aging and continues living if not hit by a comet, squashed by a steamroller, or otherwise wiped out.

Second, it is no problem for the Satanist to view the physical body as a machine. No need for any supernatural features. Just a machine.

Now you can replace the parts in a classic car as long as you can get parts. In that sense a car, or any machine, could be viewed as "immortal" if you can replace the parts as you go.

It actually requires a belief in a supernatural means to prevent the improvement of the physical body such that it could not be improved to not wear out or permanently fail (die).

To deny that such improvements are possible, you would have to believe that a supernatural God doesn't want that to be possible.

Otherwise, if the body is just a machine then sooner or later science will be able to keep that machine running as long as you wish it to.

Third, for Satanists the appeal of an unaging, undying, and youthful body is a no-brainer.

The people who say today they would reject physical immortality are like the fox who said the grapes he could not reach must be sour. For them, immortality is unattainable and unreachable. Just science fiction.

For Cambridge gerontologist, Aubrey de Grey, it is nothing more than a biological research issue involving the repairing of the seven physical damages that aging causes.

Your last questions answer themselves when rewritten slightly:

Quote:
Now should the day come when one would live forever how would you go about it and would you even want to?

Now should the day come when one could DIE tomorrow, how would you go about it and when would you even want to?

Quote:
At what price would you be willing to cast aside an immortal life ?

At what price would you be willing to cast aside DEATH?

Wait around. You might just get to answer those questions for yourself. jack

"Life is the great indulgence, death the great abstinence."
-The Satanic Bible

#363741 - 12/03/08 11:23 PM Re: A few thoughts. [Re: Nemo]
SinisterSLA6669 Offline

Loc: Bay Area, California
Quote:
if the body is just a machine then sooner or later science will be able to keep that machine running as long as you wish it to.

Third, for Satanists the appeal of an unaging, undying, and youthful body is a no-brainer.[quote/]

"Life is the great indulgence, death the great abstinence."
-The Satanic Bible

I am seeing that science will be able to keep this machine running.

ASLV
TSR
pg14(P)2&3

#363750 - 12/04/08 12:22 AM Re: A few thoughts. [Re: Nemo]
Hotei Offline

Edited by Hotei (12/04/08 12:25 AM)

#363751 - 12/04/08 12:39 AM Re: A few thoughts. [Re: Hotei]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Originally Posted By: Hotei

....intriguing.

#363814 - 12/04/08 10:43 AM Re: To be immortal [Re: LoneNights]
Descendant Offline

Loc: Inland Empire, Ca

#363909 - 12/04/08 06:56 PM Re: A few thoughts. [Re: Nemo]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Nemo
To deny that such improvements are possible, you would have to believe that a supernatural God doesn't want that to be possible.

No just the Government. There is no money in a cure...there is money in disease. And since Greed is what runs the world, we are unlikely to see this happen. A great deal of people, even those loosely linked with the medical field, make a lot of money off of peoples' sicknesses. To cure those sicknesses with a Star-Trek Cyborg Suit, would piss off a great deal of people who were getting gipped from their money.

Is it possible. Of course it is. Will the Government allow it? No. I doubt it. At least not any time soon.

The irony? I am sure that the same Government that wouldn't allow its people these advances in scientific technology, would have a plethora of its own people sustaining their lives through these advances, if for nothing else more than to make sure they can live long enough to oppress society at large.

Edited by hester moffet (12/04/08 06:58 PM)
Edit Reason: cranial methane expulsion

#363920 - 12/04/08 08:40 PM Re: A few thoughts. [Re: ArtAche86]
gypsy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Here
Quote:
Will the Government allow it? No. I doubt it. At least not any time soon.

The US government?

Phooey!

Think!

If we don't do it somebody else will.

"Eternal nothingness is fine if you happen to be dressed for it."

Church of Satan

#363923 - 12/04/08 09:08 PM Re: A few thoughts. [Re: gypsy]
Alleycat Devil Offline

Loc: MB, Canada
If I can live like i'm 30 when i'm 90 years of age, And leave stories about my exploits for years opon years beyond my death, I'll consider that proper immortality.

#363927 - 12/04/08 09:28 PM Re: A few thoughts. [Re: gypsy]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
I agree...its like i've said before. We are long overdue for another revolution here. Just wondering when it will happen.

#363928 - 12/04/08 09:31 PM Re: To be immortal [Re: LoneNights]
Callier Offline

CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: LoneNights

Now should the day come when one would live forever how would you go about it and would you even want to?

Asking a Satanist if he wants immortality is like asking Whitney Houston if she wants a new crackpipe for Christmas.

Of Friggin' Course!

#363977 - 12/05/08 09:43 AM Re: To be immortal [Re: Callier]
HorrorCore Offline

Loc: WA
Quote:
Asking a Satanist if he wants immortality is like asking Whitney Houston if she wants a new crackpipe for Christmas.

lmao, well said

#364276 - 12/07/08 05:25 AM Re: To be immortal [Re: HorrorCore]
Sinestro Offline
BANNED

Being a bodybuilder I'm also into studies on longevity. That's part of the key staying fit. Like anything else if you don't use it you lose it. Look at Sylvestor Stalone in his 60's! He looks better than ever. He was caught bringing Human Growth Hormone into Australia. From what I've read and questioned my Doctor about for males at least the downward spiral starts after 18! Puberty. The next big hit is when you reach 45ish. A gradual decline in testosterone production along with other factors. Like a sedentary life style and improper nutrition. You are what you eat! For males at least that's why we start to fall apart. For females it's menopause. That's why they have Hormone Replacement Therapy clinics until that loophole might be closed for males. Talk about a witch hunt the whole steroid craze. Come on. Like anything if used responsibly and with education you won't harm yourself. It's the whole throw the baby out with the bathwater thing. Go on Professional Muscle.com or my favorite bodybuilding board, Chemical Anarchy. You'll be amazed by how smart some of the meatheads are. LOL. Lots of medical abstracts and studies on the subject.

But, of course life extension and quality of life aren't immortality by a long stretch.

Both, sets of my grandparents have lived into their 90's. It's just a matter of quality of life of course. There's ways to stop or reverse dementia. Piracetam and Pramacetam both chemicals they use in Europe but good luck finding them here.

And yes they want us hooked on pharmaceuticals. I just finished working in another Walgreens going up here where I live. They had a show National Public Radio on this issue. All the CVS pharmacies, Walgreens etc. won't be affected by the economic downturn. In fact they are putting up a few more in my state. I watched a YouTube video on this too. We are one of two countries that allow pharmaceutical advertising on television. It's a form of brain washing / mind control. I could go on and on with examples.

I believe if they do ever figure out how to switch off the aging process It'll be reserved for the elite. Why, would they want the cattle to share in the advancement? Not, to mention the problem of over population etc. that would ensue. We are already stressing the earths resources to the breaking point.

#364283 - 12/07/08 07:34 AM Re: To be immortal [Re: Sinestro]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Anabolic steroid use and abuse is a complicated issue. Possession of them without a prescription is a federal crime. And like any controlled substance, there is the potential for physical and psychological dependency. However, I do think they are largely misunderstood thanks to the ethical debate in professional sports.

The physical and emotional side effects of taking steroids may be exaggerated not because of valid medical evidence but because of these sportsmanship issues; it‘s pretty common for moral questions to cloud the legitimacy or efficacy of anything in the medical field. “Roid rage” especially is suspect to me. It seems just as likely that people who are already prone to being jerks just become bigger jerks (literally, physically) on steroids without any correlation to the drugs themselves. I’m not sure if it’s even ever been used successfully as a legal defense.

The known beneficial uses of steroids are usually ignored by the media. I’ve had injections to treat ganglion cysts. It‘s also used to treat menopause, andropause, burns (and a ton of other skin conditions), arthritis and AIDS/cancer patients (because the loss of lean muscle mass is associated with increased mortality rates).

A really great documentary that discusses all angles of this topic is Bigger, Stronger, Faster (directed by Christopher Bell). I wouldn't go so far as to say steroids are harmless. But no drug ever is.

Quote:
Not, to mention the problem of over population etc. that would ensue. We are already stressing the earths resources to the breaking point.

Over-population + no resources = less population. Problem solved. coopdevil
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12116 Members
73 Forums
43872 Topics
405548 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements