Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#364205 - 12/06/08 05:11 PM Your Career?
Charlie R Offline

Have you chosen a career that you would like to have for the majority of your life? If so how did you come to that decision?

Edited by Charlie R (12/06/08 05:11 PM)

#364208 - 12/06/08 05:22 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: Charlie R]
HorrorCore Offline

Loc: WA
I've always wanted a career in computer science. I'm sure I will be in the field for a very, very long time. I think it's hard to do one thing your entire life though.

#364260 - 12/06/08 10:58 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: Charlie R]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Actually I am fixing to join the ARMY because there is no chance for art to flourish in the rural south. There are 3 tattoo shops in my area and they are all gossip factories only in it for the money 9/10 of the time. And the only people around here who actually like art, are in turn young artist themselves.

Luckily though, art isn't very costly (aside from its materials needed, its free) and the military can provide me money, while I continue to flourish as an artist.

#364376 - 12/08/08 09:32 AM Re: Your Career? [Re: ArtAche86]
Sinestro Offline
BANNED

I'm a painting and drywall contractor. It's so slow right now. The economy along with the time of year. I like being self-employed but sometimes I think it'd just be nice to show up at a jobsite and collect a check every day. I have a hard time working for other people though. I just try the happy thought thing and wait for my phone to ring!

Now, that I've figured it out I'll use my remote viewing I'm learning now. I can use it to influence customers. I'm bidding on a job tomorrow. I desperately need the work. So, I'll see if I can use this to close the deal. I can use it to read people. Body language, voice inflection. I had this one customer screw me over and I knew she was doing it because of her voice inflection. Now, I know why I was perceptive.

I have no idea what the limits are yet. I want to use it to make money. In this economy it'll be interesting too see if it'll work.

LOL, Just got a call for another bid! Could, be coincidence. Or positive thinking putting out positive brain waves / happy thoughts.

Thanks, for your time! Off to do some more research!

Sinestro!

Edited by Sinestro (12/08/08 01:01 PM)

#364428 - 12/08/08 04:08 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: Charlie R]
Darkahn Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Law enforcement.

As Magister Svengali would say,

"More cops = less scum."

Undercroft

#364483 - 12/08/08 10:09 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: Darkahn]
Doctor Whoov Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, VA
Well, I thought I did. I was in computers for a very long time. I've done programming, repair and even tech support. I am going to have to stab someone in the face if I have to explain the benefits of defragmentation to one more PhD. They can tinker with your heart, but still can't find the "ANY" key.

I did the professional musician thing for about two years when I first got out of the Navy. It was a lot of fun and good money. You can't even believe how much work is actually involved. Eventually somebody loses interest or shacks up with a clone of their mother and it dies painfully.

I'm going to go drive the big trucks. Good money. No poop. See the country. Greasy truck stop food. YUM! Start classes next week. I have given this much though and that's a big fat yes, I can see myself doing this for the rest of my life. Or at least until I retire, which will be early.

I thought about the cop thing. Good on you Darkahn.

Edited by Doctor Whoov (12/08/08 10:09 PM)

The Doctor, on humans, in "Remembrance of the Daleks"

#364658 - 12/09/08 05:44 PM Suggestions. [Re: Charlie R]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
When people ask me what career they should pursue, I point them to the US Dept of Labor's Occupational Guide first. Just Google it.

This results from surveys to determine what jobs exist, what qualifications are required, how much they pay, what the likely future is for the occupation, etc.

Then I suggest they assess their personality to be certain they aren't heading for disaster. For example, most engineering jobs require that you be a good team player. If you hate working with other people, engineering might be a poor choice for you.

If all else is equal, choose the occupation that pays more. If you feel that you have to choose between two careers that are both attractive to you, go for the gold.

Finally, be careful what college advisors or military recruiters promise or suggest. They are commonly not unbiased. Seek opinions from people already working in the area you are interested in.

I am often astounded at how people choose what career to enter - almost by throwing a dart. Before you spend years of your life entering an occupational area, spend at least a few weeks actually investigating what is true about the job.

I am often reminded of a Harvard-trained pathologist I knew who confided in me that he hated medicine. I asked him why he didn't quit and do something else and he told me he felt that he had already invested too much in it. zombie

Don't ever be that dumb!

#364663 - 12/09/08 06:27 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: Charlie R]
Descendant Offline

Loc: Inland Empire, Ca
Complacency and as some would say "being in a comfortable rut" are so commonplace in the workforce. It's so easy to de-motivate yourself, and lose sight of the many opportunities that await. Like Magister Nemo said, do some research and figure out what really "floats your boat" before you take somebody else's word on what they think you should be doing. You have to look inward rather than outward.

#364679 - 12/09/08 08:47 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: Descendant]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I reconcile and co-ordinate incoming and outgoing shipments for a recycling depot. It's not as terrible as it sounds.

I didn't seek it out and I wouldn't exactly call it my dream job (I wanted to work with animals or be an artist), but after more than fifteen years in the insurance industry, it's a welcome change. And I still do art part-time.

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#364680 - 12/09/08 09:02 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: Lilibeta]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Kick ass art apparently, if that profile picture is indeed your making.

#364681 - 12/09/08 09:08 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: Charlie R]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: Charlie R
Have you chosen a career that you would like to have for the majority of your life?

No.

I have never been a career type of guy. I am more the wandering type.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#364688 - 12/09/08 10:12 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Quote:
Kick ass art apparently, if that profile picture is indeed your making.

I really wish I could take the credit for that but it must go to H.R. Giger. I only re-sized/optimized the image, removed the sepia filter and added a purple one.

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#364689 - 12/09/08 10:16 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: Lilibeta]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Cool, that is one Giger piece I have never seen before.

#364693 - 12/09/08 10:53 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: HorrorCore]
all hallows
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: HorrorCore
I think it's hard to do one thing your entire life though.

not if it's your passion.

#364696 - 12/09/08 11:18 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: ]
HorrorCore Offline

Loc: WA
Originally Posted By: all hallows
Originally Posted By: HorrorCore
I think it's hard to do one thing your entire life though.

not if it's your passion.

Very true, so long as you can continue to keep learning new things about that which you are passionate about.

Sometimes there is a fine line between passion and obsession.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12282 Members
73 Forums
43881 Topics
404446 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements