Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#366231 - 12/23/08 12:19 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: AurEum]
Furrtiv Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
For me, it was as vague as "something to do with art". Because, quite frankly, that is all I am good at (although I've recently discovered a talent for writing, so I'm pursuing that as a hobby). However, despite appearences, I didn't just fall into artistic jobs, I worked hard and chose well my degree course - I now have a Batchelor's Degree in Fine Art. And while I joke and say that it's useless degree, it is in fact very useful. I wouldn't understand even half of what I know now about art theories, techniques and practices.
And now, after the usual grubbing around to make ends meet upon finishing university, I have a relevant job in art, albeit a surprising one for most people wouldn't consider working in a factory and getting an hourly wage to have anything to do with art. But there you are, it was a very clear path for me from the beginning, and although I wouldn't expect myself to be doing this exact same thing in thirty-odd years' time (I'm now thirty-three), I know that I can expect to be doing something in the artistic world as a living for many years, due to my own diliogence and training.

#366232 - 12/23/08 12:24 PM Take control. [Re: Irabn Muhe]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
How did you make these decisions?

Have you carefully examined what the requirements are to enter each of these careers?

Have you looked at the entrance, median, and average expected income?

Are these fields flooded with applicants? Are there openings? Are people retiring to make room?

Who will you work for?

Then with regard to starting a business, have you talked to other bookstore owners as yet?

I posted a suggestion earlier in this thread to suggest a very direct way to answer all of these questions and more.

I also suggested that it is very wise to invest some serious research into a career before devoting years of your life and tons of your money to enter it.

Most people wear blindfolds and throw darts to choose their careers.

Most people are not happy with the results.

Do not be like most people!

#366238 - 12/23/08 12:47 PM Re: Take control. [Re: Nemo]
Sakura Offline

Loc: The Circus
Interesting subject.. When I think of a career, for me it would be in photography, which I am actually currently doing, and I made it happen myself. I also ensured that I can get the right courses (photoshop) which are fully paid for by my employer. Of course this is not my dream job, because I am not always constantly busy with photography, but as long as I can enjoy working where I work now and learn from it, I'm going to stay. Ultimately I hope to stay with this company for as long as I can and work as a freelance photographer on the side. With the money I put aside I can slowly purchase all the stuff I need to and then earn extra money off my own studio.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
Alice didn't think that proved it at all: however she went on. "And how do you know that you're mad?"
"To begin with," said the Cat, "a dog's not mad. You grant that?"
"I suppose so," said Alice.
"Well, then, " the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

#366239 - 12/23/08 12:57 PM Re: Take control. [Re: Nemo]
Irabn Muhe Offline

Loc: British Columbia
No, I have not yet talked to a bookstore owner about it. However I do plan on applying to my local bookstore and I would say I have a very good chance of being hired. So I suppose that would be my chance to know whether or not that will be my sort of thing.

#366259 - 12/23/08 09:56 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: AurEum]
Angella~Vamp Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Nevada
A career is hard to choose and that is a fact. When I was choosing my first major in university I thought the sciences were what I wanted. Then I judged the amount of time the pursuit might take. I thought ten years was forever, but it really is not in the whole scheme of life. I took some time off from school and then returned. I have now been in school for six years. The years went really fast because of the amount of focus time spent on studies. I am scheduled to take my law school entrance exams in February, but am not so fancied by the idea. I currently work in the criminal justice field, and find it alright. I do not like criminals to defend them, and I do not want to prosecute either.

I did learn from this job that I love medicine. I sat in on a real life surgery a few months back, and wow!

There was a person, I was in charge of, having a tumor removed from his leg. I watched the whole show, and never was I sick or faint.

They first opened the top of the thigh with a scaple, cut through the muscle with a laser pen, pulled apart the muscle with tools, and then pulled out the tumor. It looked like a bright red grapefruit! If I knew that surgery was so goreless I definitely would have gone this route.

I guess I went full circle! I ended up where I should have started; realizing my love for the medical field.

Good luck with your future! I wish you luck with finding what you love!

Edited by Angella~Vamp (12/23/08 09:57 PM)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
44036 Topics
406365 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements