Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#364205 - 12/06/08 05:11 PM Your Career?
Charlie R Offline

Have you chosen a career that you would like to have for the majority of your life? If so how did you come to that decision?

Edited by Charlie R (12/06/08 05:11 PM)

#364208 - 12/06/08 05:22 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: Charlie R]
HorrorCore Offline

Loc: WA
I've always wanted a career in computer science. I'm sure I will be in the field for a very, very long time. I think it's hard to do one thing your entire life though.

#364260 - 12/06/08 10:58 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: Charlie R]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Actually I am fixing to join the ARMY because there is no chance for art to flourish in the rural south. There are 3 tattoo shops in my area and they are all gossip factories only in it for the money 9/10 of the time. And the only people around here who actually like art, are in turn young artist themselves.

Luckily though, art isn't very costly (aside from its materials needed, its free) and the military can provide me money, while I continue to flourish as an artist.

#364376 - 12/08/08 09:32 AM Re: Your Career? [Re: ArtAche86]
Sinestro Offline
BANNED

I'm a painting and drywall contractor. It's so slow right now. The economy along with the time of year. I like being self-employed but sometimes I think it'd just be nice to show up at a jobsite and collect a check every day. I have a hard time working for other people though. I just try the happy thought thing and wait for my phone to ring!

Now, that I've figured it out I'll use my remote viewing I'm learning now. I can use it to influence customers. I'm bidding on a job tomorrow. I desperately need the work. So, I'll see if I can use this to close the deal. I can use it to read people. Body language, voice inflection. I had this one customer screw me over and I knew she was doing it because of her voice inflection. Now, I know why I was perceptive.

I have no idea what the limits are yet. I want to use it to make money. In this economy it'll be interesting too see if it'll work.

LOL, Just got a call for another bid! Could, be coincidence. Or positive thinking putting out positive brain waves / happy thoughts.

Thanks, for your time! Off to do some more research!

Sinestro!

Edited by Sinestro (12/08/08 01:01 PM)

#364428 - 12/08/08 04:08 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: Charlie R]
Darkahn Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Law enforcement.

As Magister Svengali would say,

"More cops = less scum."

Undercroft

#364483 - 12/08/08 10:09 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: Darkahn]
Doctor Whoov Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, VA
Well, I thought I did. I was in computers for a very long time. I've done programming, repair and even tech support. I am going to have to stab someone in the face if I have to explain the benefits of defragmentation to one more PhD. They can tinker with your heart, but still can't find the "ANY" key.

I did the professional musician thing for about two years when I first got out of the Navy. It was a lot of fun and good money. You can't even believe how much work is actually involved. Eventually somebody loses interest or shacks up with a clone of their mother and it dies painfully.

I'm going to go drive the big trucks. Good money. No poop. See the country. Greasy truck stop food. YUM! Start classes next week. I have given this much though and that's a big fat yes, I can see myself doing this for the rest of my life. Or at least until I retire, which will be early.

I thought about the cop thing. Good on you Darkahn.

Edited by Doctor Whoov (12/08/08 10:09 PM)

The Doctor, on humans, in "Remembrance of the Daleks"

#364658 - 12/09/08 05:44 PM Suggestions. [Re: Charlie R]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
When people ask me what career they should pursue, I point them to the US Dept of Labor's Occupational Guide first. Just Google it.

This results from surveys to determine what jobs exist, what qualifications are required, how much they pay, what the likely future is for the occupation, etc.

Then I suggest they assess their personality to be certain they aren't heading for disaster. For example, most engineering jobs require that you be a good team player. If you hate working with other people, engineering might be a poor choice for you.

If all else is equal, choose the occupation that pays more. If you feel that you have to choose between two careers that are both attractive to you, go for the gold.

Finally, be careful what college advisors or military recruiters promise or suggest. They are commonly not unbiased. Seek opinions from people already working in the area you are interested in.

I am often astounded at how people choose what career to enter - almost by throwing a dart. Before you spend years of your life entering an occupational area, spend at least a few weeks actually investigating what is true about the job.

I am often reminded of a Harvard-trained pathologist I knew who confided in me that he hated medicine. I asked him why he didn't quit and do something else and he told me he felt that he had already invested too much in it. zombie

Don't ever be that dumb!

#364663 - 12/09/08 06:27 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: Charlie R]
Descendant Offline

Loc: Inland Empire, Ca
Complacency and as some would say "being in a comfortable rut" are so commonplace in the workforce. It's so easy to de-motivate yourself, and lose sight of the many opportunities that await. Like Magister Nemo said, do some research and figure out what really "floats your boat" before you take somebody else's word on what they think you should be doing. You have to look inward rather than outward.

#364679 - 12/09/08 08:47 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: Descendant]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I reconcile and co-ordinate incoming and outgoing shipments for a recycling depot. It's not as terrible as it sounds.

I didn't seek it out and I wouldn't exactly call it my dream job (I wanted to work with animals or be an artist), but after more than fifteen years in the insurance industry, it's a welcome change. And I still do art part-time.

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#364680 - 12/09/08 09:02 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: Lilibeta]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Kick ass art apparently, if that profile picture is indeed your making.

#364681 - 12/09/08 09:08 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: Charlie R]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: Charlie R
Have you chosen a career that you would like to have for the majority of your life?

No.

I have never been a career type of guy. I am more the wandering type.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#364688 - 12/09/08 10:12 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Quote:
Kick ass art apparently, if that profile picture is indeed your making.

I really wish I could take the credit for that but it must go to H.R. Giger. I only re-sized/optimized the image, removed the sepia filter and added a purple one.

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#364689 - 12/09/08 10:16 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: Lilibeta]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Cool, that is one Giger piece I have never seen before.

#364693 - 12/09/08 10:53 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: HorrorCore]
all hallows
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: HorrorCore
I think it's hard to do one thing your entire life though.

not if it's your passion.

#364696 - 12/09/08 11:18 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: ]
HorrorCore Offline

Originally Posted By: all hallows
Originally Posted By: HorrorCore
I think it's hard to do one thing your entire life though.

not if it's your passion.

Very true, so long as you can continue to keep learning new things about that which you are passionate about.

Sometimes there is a fine line between passion and obsession.

#364700 - 12/09/08 11:51 PM Re: Suggestions. [Re: Nemo]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Thank you!

I found the Occupational Outlook Handbook extremely helpful.

Quote:
I am often reminded of a Harvard-trained pathologist I knew who confided in me that he hated medicine. I asked him why he didn't quit and do something else and he told me he felt that he had already invested too much in it.

Don't ever be that dumb!

Yeah, I know a kid that I went to school with who has had at least 5 management jobs and has either quit or got fired from all of them. He really isn't cut out for management but he just doesn't want to acknowledge it. Some people are just stubborn I guess.

#364823 - 12/10/08 07:29 PM Re: Suggestions. [Re: Unknown]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

You are most welcome.

I often hear people bemoaning the horrid state of the world (their world) and they only want others to commiserate with them.

There are actually more effective answers already on the shelf and ready to be used than there are problems in this world.

The trick is to select what is needed from off the shelf and put it to good use.

#364824 - 12/10/08 07:34 PM Re: Suggestions. [Re: Nemo]
Quaark Offline

CoS Reverend

Quote:
There are actually more effective answers already on the shelf and ready to be used than there are problems in this world.

The trick is to select what is needed from off the shelf and put it to good use.

standing ovation

tiki tiki tiki tiki tiki

#364826 - 12/10/08 07:43 PM Re: Suggestions. [Re: Quaark]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Thank you, sir.

I see that you have been helping yourself to the shelf as well! jack

#364866 - 12/11/08 12:38 AM Re: Suggestions. [Re: Nemo]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: Nemo
I am often reminded of a Harvard-trained pathologist I knew who confided in me that he hated medicine. I asked him why he didn't quit and do something else and he told me he felt that he had already invested too much in it. zombie

Very good point. Knowing when to cut your losses is an important part of getting somewhere. Luckily with career choices it is often not a total loss, as this person seems to be thinking.

Personally I started out with an idea that my career would be in the humanities, but after two years at university it became clear to me that I was not suited for that. Meanwhile I'd found out that computers were a lot more interesting than I'd originally thought.

But even thought I had to change what I was studying I still had learned something about working in small groups, writing papers etc. even today when I'm writing for fun and non-profit I can still apply some of what I learned back then.

Same thing for the years I spent trying my hand at management. In the end I decided that the technical part of the job was my strength, but it gave me a lot of insight in how companies work, and I can communicate with management in their own language.

So to reply to the original poster, I have at present chosen a career path in computers because I'm fascinated with the creation of programs, making them well structured, easy to maintain and hopefully bug free. This has been my path for a number of years, but who knows what opportunities may present themselves five years from now.

#364932 - 12/11/08 12:39 PM Re: Suggestions. [Re: verszou]
HorrorCore Offline

Quote:
So to reply to the original poster, I have at present chosen a career path in computers because I'm fascinated with the creation of programs, making them well structured, easy to maintain and hopefully bug free. This has been my path for a number of years, but who knows what opportunities may present themselves five years from now.

Definitely, I feel the same way.
I've found that I learn some very important skills and gain some usable knowledge in damn near every college class I take. Even if that class doesn't apply to my major in any noticeable way.

#364989 - 12/11/08 06:53 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: Charlie R]
Mr Avarice Offline

Loc: Scandinavia
I am currently working as a Telemarketer (Yes I know, I am the scum of the Earth, I hear it every day crossbones ). And to answer your question:

Yes I have chosen a career. I have decided I want to become a Game designer. I understand that it sounds like something every other Game freak would say but I have given this a lot of thought.

3 Years worth in fact.
It's been that long since I graduated from High school (My Major was Drama of all things...). I spent that time working at stray jobs and studying Japanese in the University.
I decided last year that I knew what I wanted to do and located a University that offers me precisely what I need.

I have spent this year saving up money in addition to brushing up on my math skills, which I need to qualify for the education in the first place.

Looking back, it's great that I have taken enough time to really prepare myself before moving away from my hometown to another part of the country in order to study there for the next 3 years.

Now I am ready for anything. coopdevil

Hail Satan!

#364997 - 12/11/08 07:16 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: HorrorCore]
Schadenfreude-6 Offline

Loc: MB, Canada.
In short, no. I have too many interests in too many things, at this point being 22 I still have not decided yet on a career nor am I in a rush to. I've often thought of getting into youth counseling but I am not sure about it yet. I am currently working at a local community Fitness Center / Gym and making a bit of spending money that way.

#365061 - 12/12/08 02:39 AM Re: Your Career? [Re: Schadenfreude-6]
Alleycat Devil Offline

Loc: MB, Canada
Not so much a job at this point but an industry.

I spent a few years working at the helpdesk for an internet service provider, and truthfully I enjoyed the technical aspect of the job, (making things work is an addictive rush, especially dificult tasks.) However I loathed how the employer continually handicapping our ability to solve issues or the customers that just wanted to fight. (exercise in futility)

Now becuase of this I got very tightly involved with a "techie community" and have caught the bug for IT work.

To scratch that itch and make use of my knack for the type of work, I Recently got my ass out of that terrible job and back in college for a nice hardware/networking/OS/ect course.

The cirts I can walk out of there with will open many different possibilites for employment in the future (so long as i keep upgrading) Granted I have never had to bust my ass this ~HARD~ to learn so much, but the challenge is wonderfully fulfilling.

#365139 - 12/12/08 01:02 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: Alleycat Devil]
Rory_Rocketpants Offline
CoS Member

Loc: unknown
I have had a plethora of different full-time jobs and haven't yet found one that I could consider doing for more than 3 years.

I have a part time career on stage, and that is thoroughly enjoyable, but currently there is not enough work to do that full time.

I hate working. Where's my winning lottery ticket? grin

#365158 - 12/12/08 02:45 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: Charlie R]
Remo razz Offline

Loc: Canada
The right career comes by knowing yourself first... Ultimatly to please yourself and fill your money bag should be the goal... Create your own career if you must, just don't be a parasite.

Cheers

#366164 - 12/23/08 02:16 AM Re: Your Career? [Re: Remo razz]
Irabn Muhe Offline

Loc: British Columbia
I am not sure what I want to do yet, I still have to apply for college. The thing that I would really like to do is get my bachelor of arts in Religious studies, the only problem is because of my religious preferences I cannot see myself getting a job I would enjoy. So I think I'm going to get my Bachelor of Business administration and I think that I will try to open up a bookstore. If that does not work plan b is to become a police officer, There really are too many choices. frown

#366179 - 12/23/08 04:47 AM Re: Your Career? [Re: Mr Avarice]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: The Black Waltz
Yes I have chosen a career. I have decided I want to become a Game designer. I understand that it sounds like something every other Game freak would say but I have given this a lot of thought.

I wanted to be that at one point too smile Not computer games though, but role-playing games. I even tried to make a plan for what would take me there, but in the end computers were a quicker path.

Best of luck with it. Not an easy path, but I'm sure it will be very rewarding if you can make a living from i.

#366186 - 12/23/08 05:59 AM Re: Your Career? [Re: verszou]
MissMina1556 Offline
CoS Member

Loc: USA
My Career!

From a very early age, the only thing I wanted to do in life, was be a homemaker. I wanted to be married to a man that could make enough money that would allow me to follow my dream of being a homemaker. When I married, I did marry for love, not for money.

In time, I learned to budget our income so I could pursue my dream career of being a homemaker. It was not easy. But, it was what I wanted, as well as my husband. We decided that I should work full time for about 4 years, and bank every paycheck I brought home.

We lived entirely off of his paycheck. I budgeted our money to the penny. We did not use charges. If we didn't have the money, we didn't use a charge, and we didn't buy it. If we needed something desperately, we saved and paid with cash.

After 4 years of banking my paycheck, it was time to purchase our first home. We had a sizable down payment due to my income. The house was purchased, I became pregnant, and I pursued my career for 20 years. I was a homemaker and I raised two, beautiful daughters.

I made my career happen for me. I wanted to stay home and raise my children. I wanted to make sure my hard working husband had a hot meal on the table when he arrived home. I wanted to take my children to school and be involved with their activities.

I made it happen with the magic=common sense of budgeting wisely.

We lived off one paycheck for 25 years.

If you want anything badly enough, you do have the smarts to make it happen.

Now my children are grown and gone, and I work now for pleasure and to purchase toys that I can enjoy. Things I didn't want or need when I was younger, but things I can enjoy now. Nicer cars, flat screen TV's, vacations.

I'm old enough to have the time to enjoy such things. If those things were purchased when my children were younger, I would not have had the time to enjoy them. Also, I would have had to use the charges.

My career was being a homemaker. I was very happy. Those were the happiest years of my life.

It was my choice. A choice that suited me and my family very well.

Edited by MissMina1556 (12/23/08 06:04 AM)
Edit Reason: content

#366211 - 12/23/08 09:27 AM Re: Your Career? [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
AurEum Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Australia
That's kind of my take on it too, although lately my wanderings have been within the same area. When I graduated from college I was unsettled to discover that my major was an area that I had no interest in working in. Not because I didn't like the work, I loathed the bureaucracy involved. My father told me to go out and find something that I enjoyed doing and not to worry about a career. Then he said that if I find myself doing the same thing 20 years later, decide to call it a career.

Does that sound like the classic "everything will work out" line? Maybe. I had a hard time stomaching that at the time, I wanted a plan of action. After reading "The Combination Lock Principle" it made sense. I have unexpectedly fallen into damn near everything that I love (Have I mentioned that I wound up in jewelry because I was building tins for a custom chopper?).

Will I necessarily be doing the same thing in 20 years? No clue. Judging by my track record I can confidently say that it will require a specialized skill that I will have managed to learn somewhere along the way, I will find it intellectually stimulating, and it will be fun.

"The truth is I've never fooled anyone. I've let people fool themselves. They didn't bother to find out who and what I was. Instead they would invent a character for me. I wouldn't argue with them." - Marilyn Monroe

#366231 - 12/23/08 12:19 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: AurEum]
Furrtiv Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
For me, it was as vague as "something to do with art". Because, quite frankly, that is all I am good at (although I've recently discovered a talent for writing, so I'm pursuing that as a hobby). However, despite appearences, I didn't just fall into artistic jobs, I worked hard and chose well my degree course - I now have a Batchelor's Degree in Fine Art. And while I joke and say that it's useless degree, it is in fact very useful. I wouldn't understand even half of what I know now about art theories, techniques and practices.
And now, after the usual grubbing around to make ends meet upon finishing university, I have a relevant job in art, albeit a surprising one for most people wouldn't consider working in a factory and getting an hourly wage to have anything to do with art. But there you are, it was a very clear path for me from the beginning, and although I wouldn't expect myself to be doing this exact same thing in thirty-odd years' time (I'm now thirty-three), I know that I can expect to be doing something in the artistic world as a living for many years, due to my own diliogence and training.

#366232 - 12/23/08 12:24 PM Take control. [Re: Irabn Muhe]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

How did you make these decisions?

Have you carefully examined what the requirements are to enter each of these careers?

Have you looked at the entrance, median, and average expected income?

Are these fields flooded with applicants? Are there openings? Are people retiring to make room?

Who will you work for?

Then with regard to starting a business, have you talked to other bookstore owners as yet?

I posted a suggestion earlier in this thread to suggest a very direct way to answer all of these questions and more.

I also suggested that it is very wise to invest some serious research into a career before devoting years of your life and tons of your money to enter it.

Most people wear blindfolds and throw darts to choose their careers.

Most people are not happy with the results.

Do not be like most people!

#366238 - 12/23/08 12:47 PM Re: Take control. [Re: Nemo]
Sakura Offline

Loc: The Circus
Interesting subject.. When I think of a career, for me it would be in photography, which I am actually currently doing, and I made it happen myself. I also ensured that I can get the right courses (photoshop) which are fully paid for by my employer. Of course this is not my dream job, because I am not always constantly busy with photography, but as long as I can enjoy working where I work now and learn from it, I'm going to stay. Ultimately I hope to stay with this company for as long as I can and work as a freelance photographer on the side. With the money I put aside I can slowly purchase all the stuff I need to and then earn extra money off my own studio.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
Alice didn't think that proved it at all: however she went on. "And how do you know that you're mad?"
"To begin with," said the Cat, "a dog's not mad. You grant that?"
"I suppose so," said Alice.
"Well, then, " the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

#366239 - 12/23/08 12:57 PM Re: Take control. [Re: Nemo]
Irabn Muhe Offline

Loc: British Columbia
No, I have not yet talked to a bookstore owner about it. However I do plan on applying to my local bookstore and I would say I have a very good chance of being hired. So I suppose that would be my chance to know whether or not that will be my sort of thing.

#366259 - 12/23/08 09:56 PM Re: Your Career? [Re: AurEum]
Angella~Vamp Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Nevada
A career is hard to choose and that is a fact. When I was choosing my first major in university I thought the sciences were what I wanted. Then I judged the amount of time the pursuit might take. I thought ten years was forever, but it really is not in the whole scheme of life. I took some time off from school and then returned. I have now been in school for six years. The years went really fast because of the amount of focus time spent on studies. I am scheduled to take my law school entrance exams in February, but am not so fancied by the idea. I currently work in the criminal justice field, and find it alright. I do not like criminals to defend them, and I do not want to prosecute either.

I did learn from this job that I love medicine. I sat in on a real life surgery a few months back, and wow!

There was a person, I was in charge of, having a tumor removed from his leg. I watched the whole show, and never was I sick or faint.

They first opened the top of the thigh with a scaple, cut through the muscle with a laser pen, pulled apart the muscle with tools, and then pulled out the tumor. It looked like a bright red grapefruit! If I knew that surgery was so goreless I definitely would have gone this route.

I guess I went full circle! I ended up where I should have started; realizing my love for the medical field.

Good luck with your future! I wish you luck with finding what you love!

Edited by Angella~Vamp (12/23/08 09:57 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
43879 Topics
404436 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements