Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#36433 - 04/22/04 01:03 AM Pubilc/Televised Executions
Anonymous
Unregistered

According to this poll about two thirds of Americans would be willing to watch and even pay to see executions of certain criminals. I personally am all for the idea being that capital punishment doesn't work when 1. the person being put to death is not a person in our eyes and therefore it cannot happen to us if we break the law and 2. it's something that happens and we have no knowledge of it unless we are somehow involved. I'm just curious as to other people's thoughts on the idea.

DatheR
The Source of my post
Would you watch an execution if you felt the criminal truely deserves it?
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 04/22/04 12:00 AM
View the results of this poll.

#36434 - 04/22/04 03:36 AM Re: Pubilc/Televised Executions
Insurgent Offline
CoS Member

As much as I like the idea and as much as I'd like it if there was more solid justice in America I just don't like the idea of more corporate involvement in any legal branch of the US.

The last thing we need is a whole bunch of corporations pushing legislation on death sentences so that they can make a fricken dollar off it.

I honestly just don't think Pay Per View has the political and perhaps "moral" foresight to be involved in the justice process. Americans turn every single form of death and it's delivery into mass markets in one way or another. Last thing the justice system needs is for that to actually be a factor on the scales.

Don't give 'em an inch. They already have everything else by the short and curlies.

Make it "free." Our tax dollars pay for the death anyway, so why not get to see it?

"My dear Insurgent you're an extremist, intolerant and you have prejudices. That's all."

"I am a fucking Satanist and desire in all of my being to be the Queen of the World if at all possible...."

#36435 - 04/22/04 09:24 AM Re: Pubilc/Televised Executions [Re: Insurgent]
Mr_Atrox Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Lycopolis
Quote:

As much as I like the idea and as much as I'd like it if there was more solid justice in America I just don't like the idea of more corporate involvement in any legal branch of the US.

The last thing we need is a whole bunch of corporations pushing legislation on death sentences so that they can make a fricken dollar off it.

In view of the current state of affairs, justice seems an almost humorous word. The televising of criminal executions would be a head-long plunge into the shallows of idiocy. That being said, it may not be long before the sheep(chimps) are demanding it 24/7 on a station all its own.
It all boils down to more smoke in the magic show.
Who would decide which criminals 'deserve' such an end?
What criteria would they need to meet in order to qualify for such a display?

Edited by Pazuzu (04/22/04 09:36 AM)

#36436 - 04/22/04 02:19 PM Re: Pubilc/Televised Executions
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
I would drop everything and rush home to see it.

Whether they deserved it or not.

#36437 - 04/22/04 03:29 PM Re: Pubilc/Televised Executions
Eric_Flu Offline
CoS Member

Loc: USA
I agree! Why is it in America such things are not televised or censored in some way. Such as the 911 footage. Other countries must look at us and laugh.

#36438 - 04/22/04 05:03 PM Re: Pubilc/Televised Executions
Sekhmut Offline
CoS Member

If you didn't know public executions are a very ancient custom. In London less than 300 years ago, they had heads/arms and limbs on stakes to warn people what might happen to them if they broke any laws.

Perhaps if executions where televised and justice was really justice, people would be less willing to kill their families, friends, or strangers for no reason. But then a nut is always going to be what they are regardless of what they see on tv. Maybe in the future these traits will be bred out of humanity.

#36439 - 04/22/04 06:40 PM Re: Pubilc/Televised Executions
J. Hagalaz Offline

I think they should make a game show out of it so the contestants can win a chance to kill the criminal. Like "Wheel of Misfortune" or something catchy like that. The winner decides the fate of the inmate.

#36440 - 04/22/04 06:57 PM Re: Pubilc/Televised Executions [Re: Sekhmut]
Anonymous
Unregistered

This fact is something that I'm well aware of. I could be off but I believe it was something like 1820 or so that England stopped public executions. That's just the problem, I think that starting them again would help society in a list of ways. On top of that simply getting three injections and then dying isn't something to tremble in fear of. I know just how painful it truely is as you can feel your body start to shut down but to most people it's nothing more than a shot. (Granted people like myself who hate needles would rather be hung 95% of the time.) But there's just something about drawing and quartering a person that really makes you think twice before you rob that bank.

Most people in my opinion choose not to break the law simply because they fear being punished and not because of a moral code. How many Xtians do you think do things because they feel it's right and how many simply fear "Hell"? The Catholic church has even said recently that the fear of Hell needs to be put back into the people. And if we have to start executing people for lighter crimes then fine by me. My hard earned tax dollars won't have to go to some asshole sitting around in a cell all day jerking off, getting high, and watching tv. How many of you think that Enron would happen again if everyone involved was hung on national television? Then again I also agree with what was said in "All Quiet On The Western Front" in that all wars should be fought in an arena with the two leaders in question given clubs and beating each other to death with crowds cheering. Then those my age who can be drafted won't have to unwillingly go off to fight a battle we couldn't care less about.

Myself, I wouldn't want to see Bin Laden executed, I'd much rather see the Nightstalker whose last rape/murder was around 4 miles away from the house I was growing up in at the time.

But what does everyone think would happen to crime if executions because public again? And do you think that people don't commit crimes because it's the "right thing to do" or because they fear the punishments attatched to their crimes?

DatheR

#36441 - 04/22/04 07:22 PM Re: Pubilc/Televised Executions
Shiva Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
I agree that we should bring back public executions. I don't think they should go on pay-per-view or anything like that, because I also agree that there shouldn't be money made in it (at least, no more than we already pay.)

I've always found it amusing that countries like England and France who had some rather horrific ways of disposing of their unwanted citizens in the not-so-distant past, now consider even the tamest of execution methods barbaric.

Having studied the evolution of executions here in the States, the trend seems to always point towards finding more instantanious death and "mercy" for the condemned. I don't think that would fly well on public display though. There's no entertainment value in it.

In the days where public execution was a picnic event, the methods were much more colorful. You basically got a show while the culprit strangled or bled to death. Nowadays, watching a person put to death by lethal injection is something like watching someone take a nap. Once in a while someone may put up a death struggle, but not often. The Sodium Thiopental and Pavulon see to that.

I think American audiances may just get bored with it.

Although I'll admit, the other arguement I often hear about public executions is that people are just too sensitive to see such things. At the same time, we do seem to enjoy our horror and true crime shows. My personal favorite was the debate over people wanting to watch the televised execution of Timothy McVeigh (aka "Oklahoma City Bomber"). We didn't get to, as the powers that be decided that watching a lethal injection would upset too many people. But on the news shows that night, they didn't seem to have a problem with showing 2 fellas in another country recieve a fatal IV, or televising footage from the bombing, complete with bloodied victims and dead babies.

Go figure...

"The ugliest of trades have their moments of pleasure. Now, if I were a grave-digger, or even a hangman, there are some people I could work for with a great deal of enjoyment." - Douglas Jerrold

#36442 - 04/22/04 08:23 PM Re: Pubilc/Televised Executions [Re: J. Hagalaz]
Eric_Flu Offline
CoS Member

Quote:

I think they should make a game show out of it so the contestants can win a chance to kill the criminal. Like "Wheel of Misfortune" or something catchy like that. The winner decides the fate of the inmate.

Kind of like Stephen Kings 'The Running Man'

#36443 - 04/22/04 09:16 PM Re: Pubilc/Televised Executions [Re: Sekhmut]
Citizen Jonesy Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Palm Springs, California, USA
Quote:

Maybe in the future these traits will be bred out of humanity.

My dear lady, that is wishful thinking at its worse
Webmaster
The 8FoldPath Network-Just updated

#36444 - 04/22/04 09:28 PM Re: Pubilc/Televised Executions [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
SilverHammer Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Connecticut
Quote:

I would drop everything and rush home to see it.

Whether they deserved it or not.

Why?

www.myspace.com/savagegod

#36445 - 04/23/04 03:59 AM Re: Pubilc/Televised Executions
Josephine007 Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Zero Point Field
Your question was:

"Would YOU watch..."

While I have no problem with the concept, I PERSONALLY, wouldn't watch. I probably would have when I was younger but death is so....common now. I don't see it as fascinating or interesting or particularly note worthy in any way. Like car accidents.....I have seen SO many accidents that I may possibly b the ONLY person in this area that doesn't slow down to look at one.

Although, I would do the pay per view thing unlike Shiva. Not that I disagree with her in any way....I just see it that there would be a TON of folks out there who WOULD pay to watch and why NOT make a buck? The caveat would be that any and all money made would go straight to the school systems to improve them OR...and this is my new initiative I would love to get started, a 'stay at home mom' grant. My husband thinks the start of the down fall of much of our youth happened when women started working outside the home and that now it has spiraled into an almost reqirement in some areas in order to live. He would give grants of an 'average' salary to stay at home moms and pay them to stay at home and be good moms and raise, educate and supervise their children. So I would put the money there...in a 'perfect' world

#36446 - 04/23/04 09:05 AM Re: Pubilc/Televised Executions [Re: Josephine007]
Shiva Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
I would do the pay per view thing unlike Shiva. Not that I disagree with her in any way....I just see it that there would be a TON of folks out there who WOULD pay to watch and why NOT make a buck?

My reasons for not agreeing with pay-per-view is that I have a feeling it would slant the justice system a bit. Put that kind of money on the line, and you may well wind up with a bribed jury, judge, etc... "Never mind that the strong DNA evidence points to the contrary, your Honor. The couch potatoes think he's guilty and there's a million in it for you if he hangs."

"The ugliest of trades have their moments of pleasure. Now, if I were a grave-digger, or even a hangman, there are some people I could work for with a great deal of enjoyment." - Douglas Jerrold

#36447 - 04/24/04 11:43 AM Re: Pubilc/Televised Executions [Re: Shiva]
Abbott Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Atlantic City,NJ
I agree with you regarding the mundane aspects of watching a piece of garbage simply fall asleep, although permanately, but the entertainment value would wear out fast due to this method. Hangings were a better spectacle, especially when the offender's head occassionally popped off!
But the fact that the media would be involved could lead to the need to produce more executions then could be supplied, and the ratings factor might encourage injustice to keep the scheduled show on it's prime time weekly spot. As it is there are so many on death row for endless years as it is, it could start off a good seasons worth of production. And save alot of tax dollars, on top of the closure for the victims of these degenerates. The electric chair or beheadings would definitely provide the message that death penalty advocates believe work as a deterrent, and gain my interest.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12116 Members
73 Forums
43873 Topics
405551 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements