Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#36478 - 04/28/04 12:00 PM Re: Actually, No. [Re: Josephine007]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
It's atrocious, makes me sick to my stomach, and is not going to be fixed until parents start taking responsibility for their offspring.

I agree with that.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#36479 - 04/28/04 12:10 PM Re: Actually, No. [Re: Josephine007]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

I'd would personally venture to say that it has more to do with the fact that girls are increasingly seen as men's equals, and therefore may commit "masculine" acts of violence.

If it were video games/media, you'd expect the gap to be increasing, not decreasing, since males are considerably more likely to be regular consumers of video games and other media, especially violent games and media.

#36480 - 04/29/04 03:59 AM Re: Actually, No. [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
Josephine007 Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Zero Point Field
I'd would personally venture to say that it has more to do with the fact that girls are increasingly seen as men's equals, and therefore may commit "masculine" acts of violence.

Actually, in addition to this I found the proposal that the current lack of mother figures is also something to consider. It used to be the sterotypical trend that it was usually the male role model/father that was absent but now Momma is just as likely to be absent/doing crack/turning tricks/etc as daddy. That is why I liked the whole Lord of the Flies reference....taking into account the absence of BOTH parental units. This is a subject that hits me at home because I live with a DAILY reminder of what the neglect of a mother can do to children and am currently engaged in a massive clean up from the fall out of that.

#36481 - 04/29/04 04:07 AM Context! [Re: Shiva]
Josephine007 Offline
CoS Priestess

Again, it boils down to the parents (or lack thereof.)

EXACTLY. There is no ONE thing that will CAUSE a child to BE violent or a 'looser'. It's the entire environment and all the contributing factors. While my future child may be able to handle watching TV show X with some rather dysfunctional characters on it...'she' will also be in an entirely different setting WHILE watching it. And she will be able to chuckle at the idiocy and go on about things. VS there are some shows I would not let my boys watch as they are intended to be a JOKE....they are so close to what they actually lived...in their minds it is like they glorify and CONDONE that type of behavior. It is not 'funny' to them but "nostalgic"....

A great example would be that my sons are now enrolled in Young Marines. It is actually having a VERY positive effect so far although we have a LONG way to go. Last summer they spent a month with their grandmother in PA and it was largely unsupervised. While I recall doing something similar when I was a child...I also had the self control, responsibility, and respect for myself and others to HANDLE that kind of freedom. We have decided that they will NOT do that this summer as it is TOO much non supervision for them at this time and would un do months of work and progress.

Context. What is absolutely NOT a problem for one child could be the nail in the coffin for another and 99% of it has to do with the parenting and home environment, like you said.

#36482 - 04/29/04 12:09 PM Re: Context! [Re: Josephine007]
Dan_Dread Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Quote:

BE violent or a 'looser'.

The word...is 'loser'
</pet peeve>
"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike and yet it is the most precious thing we have." - Albert Einstein --------------------

#36483 - 04/29/04 03:20 PM Re: Actually, No. [Re: Josephine007]
Prince_Satanicus Offline
CoS Member

Loc: KNOXVILLE, Tennessee, (THE BLA...
I totally relate ,I have seen much myself, I led a rather "Wild" life untill I finally grew up, East L.A., Houston Texas, Dallas Ft. Worth area, and many more, I,m a Biker so you know much about the lifestyle I'm sure, I lived it untill I settled down a few years ago. and it began when I was in junior high school.

When I look back much of it was rather crazy.

HAIL SATAN
HAIL ANTON LAVEY
HAIL ME

#36484 - 04/29/04 04:03 PM Re: Pubilc/Televised Executions
Anonymous
Unregistered

DatheR, though I'm not opposed to the thought of public execution, televised or not, couldn't these animals be put to better use? The jails are full of people who have nothing to do, why not put them to work? The only objection I can think of for this idea is cost effectiveness. Of course the more rabid ones should be put down, but surely the others could be made use of in some way?

#36485 - 04/29/04 05:35 PM Re: Pubilc/Televised Executions
Dan_Dread Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
I think the movie, "Escape from New York" may have been on to something good...
"One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike and yet it is the most precious thing we have." - Albert Einstein --------------------

#36486 - 04/30/04 03:57 AM Re: Context! [Re: Dan_Dread]
Josephine007 Offline
CoS Priestess

Thank you for the correction. I do tend to get that one turned around.

#36487 - 04/30/04 03:19 PM Re: Pubilc/Televised Executions
Anonymous
Unregistered

1. Ever seen Running Man?

2. If I saw everyone I deemed worthy of execution televised, well, I'd have no time for anything else.

#36488 - 05/01/04 04:54 AM Re: Pubilc/Televised Executions [Re: Discipline]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I do not necessarily agree with you. I do not care what is said in this article, nor do I care what the national statistics are concerning violence. Growing up I experienced absurd levels of violence amongst my peers. Having been raised in a decently large city and having gone through such a wonderful public school system I saw many disturbing things which troubled me as a kid.

I do however agree that the media overhypes this kind of crap to scare people. I also agree that many commonly used scapegoats, such as violent "shoot 'em up" style games, are hardly to blame for the problem. Parents are expected to teach their children how to thrive in our society, nothing should ever come between that exchange of values, nothing can replace that responsibility.

#36489 - 05/01/04 05:01 AM Re: Pubilc/Televised Executions
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd watch it. But do I think it's a good idea? Probably not, mixing entertainment and executions could potentially get way out of hand. But I'd still watch it.

#36490 - 05/05/04 02:12 AM Re: Pubilc/Televised Executions [Re: Dan_Dread]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well then obviously you didn't think so far ahead to see that a good movie like that can spawn a horrific sequal...

DatheR

#36491 - 05/05/04 10:54 AM Bring back gladiator matches!
Mike_Hargis Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Bensalem, PA (Philly 'burbs)
Before sentencing someone to die, the DA should be required to perform DNA tests to prove the innocence or guilt of the defendant. Once that's taken care of & he/she is convicted, the defendant should be given the choice of facing execution or signing up to fight as a gladiator. All condemned who sign on can be moved to a separate facility just for gladiators. Then, hold the matches at stadiums, selling tickets to the public & televise them on pay-per-view. The money raised (and let's face it, it'd be a SHITLOAD!) would be divided between the victims' next-of-kin & the states for the cost of trials & food, shelter, etc. for the gladiators, thus relieving the taxpayers of the burden. Once a gladiator has survived three years in the arena, he gets to retire & have his sentence commuted to spending his life in a (relatively) luxury prison cell with access to whores, cable TV, & catered food. A lot of killers would probably take the chance to live a life of imprisoned luxury to a certain, immediate death by execution! And the people get justice & entertainment in one kick-ass package!

www.myspace.com/satanist_in_pa
www.massagespace.net/Details/CMT-in-NE-Philly
www.brightfuse.com/mikehargis
www.facebook.com/people/Mike_Hargis/1381346496

#36492 - 05/06/04 03:58 AM Re: Bring back gladiator matches! [Re: Mike_Hargis]
Josephine007 Offline
CoS Priestess

DA should be required to perform DNA tests to prove the innocence or guilt of the defendant

How do you use DNA to convict a murderer who didn't leave any?

DNA can only be used if the offender left it behind. If Skippy strolled into the 7-11 and popped the cashier before he stole the money from the register....how does DNA prove that?

Wife slowly poisons hubby to death...DNA?

I see a HUGE loophole in your proposal.

I have no problem using DNA when it is present and can be used but certainly wouldn't hinge their punishment on it's presence.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Forum Stats
12201 Members
73 Forums
43985 Topics
406071 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements