Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#364584 - 12/09/08 11:50 AM you and a great friend are in a predicament;
all hallows
Unregistered

i would like opinions on this situation. say you and a best friend are hanging out, and your friend accidentally spills wine on your thousand some dollar lap-top. it is ruined and does not work; your friend had put forth all the money they had ($100) for it to be sent out for possible repairs. you are completely broke, strapped for cash, don't have a job, and are eating oatmeal every day. your friend is absolutely broke and in college.

do you:

a) get upset and angry, then demand that the money be paid back?

b) get upset and angry, and realize there is nothing that can be done?

c) other?

#364587 - 12/09/08 12:12 PM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: ]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
C) Get a new best friend; I don't hang out with poor, stupid bastards.

D) Blow my brains out; I should never be that poor, or unemployed.

#364592 - 12/09/08 12:26 PM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: TheDegenerate]
all hallows
Unregistered

haha, ok, thanks.

#364600 - 12/09/08 01:10 PM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: ]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: all hallows
i would like opinions on this situation. say you and a best friend are hanging out, and your friend accidentally spills wine on your thousand some dollar lap-top. it is ruined and does not work; your friend had put forth all the money they had ($100) for it to be sent out for possible repairs. you are completely broke, strapped for cash, don't have a job, and are eating oatmeal every day. your friend is absolutely broke and in college.

do you:

a) get upset and angry, then demand that the money be paid back?

b) get upset and angry, and realize there is nothing that can be done?

c) other?

c) check that the insurance I took out when I bought this very expensive piece of equipment (compared to my job and life situation). Then wonder why I hadn't sold it to get some decent food. Then wonder if I was causing this myself. Bringing it to a place where there would be drinking without appropriate protection (like the backpack that came with it which normally protects it from water damage when I'm walking in the rain) would be not taking proper care of it.

Along the line I'd probably be angry and upset too - but I'd probably try to contain it until it was clear where blame should be put.

Edited by verszou (12/09/08 01:30 PM)
Edit Reason: Bad sentence that could be misinterpreted.

#364601 - 12/09/08 01:11 PM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: TheDegenerate]
fire_vixen Offline

"D) Blow my brains out; I should never be that poor, or unemployed."

Yes, of course, any time you encounter a hardship in life, just call it quits.

#364603 - 12/09/08 01:22 PM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: fire_vixen]
Fiat_Creperum Offline
CoS Member

You missed the point completely.

What was meant was that one who was taking care of business with one's life should never BE in that situation in the first place.

Well, the sheeple are in that type of situation all the time, but the alien elite shouldn't be.

FC

Undercroft

#364604 - 12/09/08 01:43 PM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: fire_vixen]
TheDegenerate Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Cowtown
Originally Posted By: fire_vixen
"D) Blow my brains out; I should never be that poor, or unemployed."

Yes, of course, any time you encounter a hardship in life, just call it quits.

Fine. You're right. I wouldn't blow my brains out.

I'd jump off a cliff, but only after lighting myself on fire.

(In case you haven't figure it out yet, both of these answers were meant to be highly sarcastic.)

#364609 - 12/09/08 02:14 PM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: verszou]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Originally Posted By: verszou
Then wonder why I hadn't sold it to get some decent food.

Hey now, I like oatmeal. grin

Regarding all hallows' predicament -- I doubt Id get that angry. Like verszou, Id be asking myself what I couldve done to prevent it or if I was prepared for mishaps. On the Richter scale of tough breaks that scenario ranks pretty low for me. Its not like they accidentally shot my dog or burned my house down. But, in the future, Id take necessary precautions... like visiting the walking crime scene I call a friend at their house. Let them spill wine on their own damn toys. grin
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#364616 - 12/09/08 02:45 PM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: ]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
Like verszou suggests, I'd check the warrantee.

In any event, I doubt I'd get angry. Accidents happen. If I were the spiller, I might make a point to save up and reimburse the computer owner. But if I were the computer owner, I doubt I'd demand that.

It's a little late to get mad at the spiller; the owner had her chance to protect her property before the spill happened.

Sounds to me like just one of them things.

#364620 - 12/09/08 02:56 PM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: ]
Mephisto Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Portugal
I'd get angry at myself for putting my "precious" and expensive material in a place where it can be damaged. Shit happens, but you can avoid it.

I for one never bring my expensive "toys" to places where it can be damaged, let alone when I know there is drinking involved...

#364622 - 12/09/08 03:12 PM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: Mephisto]
all hallows
Unregistered

say the computer owner doesn't mention it for months, nor does the spiller (not because they have forgotten, but because they simply don't have the funding right now reimburse the computer owner), and the computer owner then accuses the spiller of trying to squeak by (in the middle of december, one of the most financially vampiric times of the year).

not only has the computer owner been complaining about being poor and having trouble affording food (and wine, of course), but also mentions borrowing money from people in order to come up with the rent. nor does said computer owner work. then the computer owner decides to make the incident that took place months ago a catastrophe to the spiller all of a sudden, making the spiller feel pressured, upset, and helpless.

the spiller and the computer owner being good friends, do you think it is any way odd for the spiller to think that there's manipulation going on here? the computer owner is getting squeezed (due to his circumstances he brought upon himself), so he's trying to squeeze his "friend" for the money the spiller owes him, which the spiller DOES want to pay back, but cannot provide at the moment.

all of a sudden now "doing the right thing" and paying the owner back become a catastrophic issue, and the spiller is left feeling like a slave of some sort, as well as very distressed.

do you think true friends do that to one another?

i don't.

#364624 - 12/09/08 03:17 PM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: ]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
your friend accidentally spills wine on your thousand some dollar lap-top. your friend is absolutely broke

He's broke AND has wine??
That HAS to be Mad Dog 20/20!
I'd make him give me the rest of his Mad Dog and call it even.

Edited by Roho_the_Rooster (12/09/08 03:18 PM)
Edit Reason: Spilled sterno on my keyboard *hic*

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#364629 - 12/09/08 03:31 PM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
HorrorCore Offline

Loc: WA
I would ask him for an expensive possession of his that I have always wanted...like his camera, or TV or somethin....

actually I'd probably just blame myself for inviting a clumsy friend over to drink wine next to my precious laptop. Whenever I'm around friends who are drinking I put my laptop away just incase something like this happens.

#364631 - 12/09/08 03:37 PM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: ]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
the spiller and the computer owner being good friends, do you think it is any way odd for the spiller to think that there's manipulation going on here?

Given the additional information I would lean towards saying that there is manipulation going on. But I also think that other psychological factors could be involved.

Manipulation would mean that there is a goal to be achieved, i.e. the computer owner in some way hopes to gain something here. If the computer owner is already aware that the spiller is unable to pay in any way, then there is no point in manipulation, so it could just be frustration, lack of perspective and lashing out in anger (possibly frustration about not being able to get a new one), depending on the personality of the computer owner.

Of course the gain from the manipulation could also be of psychological kind, for instance the computer owner feels a sense of lessening his/her situation by bringing somebody else down to the same level of misery.

Unfortunately being a great friend does not guarantee flawless behaviour. Having a great friend for a person also often means that you feel more vulnerable and hurt when the behaviour of the other person becomes illogical or goes beyond the parameters that usually exist in your relationship.

The person making a judgement in this case (obviously I won't since I know only one side and have seen no real evidence) should probably take that into consideration, and perhaps also how to move on from here.

In such a situation it really isn't, in my view, a case of whether this is correct "great friend behaviour" but whether this is something that can be worked out and gotten past. There isn't any gain in being right if you're still fighting with a friend.

#364632 - 12/09/08 03:40 PM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: Fiat_Creperum]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
That is the most ridiculous piece of shit i've ever read on this board. Because you are a Satanist all of a sudden you become this super-dooper rich ass self-righteous person that shits all over anyone who doesn't make enough money.

I don't remember some guy standing there waiting to offer me a million dollars when I picked up Dr. LaVey's book. And furhtermore I don't remember anywhere in there it saying that "You have to be very rich to be a Satanist". Some people haven't had all the opportunities you might have had. You sir are a stuck up prick if you say otherwise.

The Alien Elite, is all good and well. Who doesn't want to prosper. But not everyone can afford college,have things handed to them by their parents before them, or otherwise. Furthermore if you don't think that among the Alien Elite there are Alien Elite: Plumbers,Painters,Starving Artist,Writers,College Students,High School Students,and even that guy wearing the pretzel suit trying to get you over to McDonald's or whatever, then you sir are in perfect denial.

THE book only cost 10$, so if you only expected, or for that matter wanted rich people (by means of money, not rich in life)then maybe the book should have costed more, a great deal more.

Being Alien Elite is wonderful and all, but being a self-righteous cock and stepping all over everyone as if they were below you, well...we've all turned away from that relgion and stopped putting money in the plate long ago. Maybe you could play the piano for them.

Seriously, this is the rudest statement i've heard made on here by someone. I guess if you get fired from your job you are no longer a Satanist? And in case you haven't noticed the entire U.S. economy is headed for a depression, so I guess your version of Satanism will have to just "pick back up when the money comes back".

Fuck you dude. Seriously. With a fucking attitude like this you should be a Goddamn Christian preacher.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12218 Members
73 Forums
43998 Topics
406132 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements