Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#364698 - 12/09/08 11:48 PM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: ArtAche86]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Quote:
I don't remember some guy standing there waiting to offer me a million dollars when I picked up Dr. LaVey's book. And furhtermore I don't remember anywhere in there it saying that "You have to be very rich to be a Satanist". Some people haven't had all the opportunities you might have had.

First of all, one should not enter into the study of practical witchcraft out of desperation. Far too many people expect to wave a proverbial magic wand, and thereby solve all of their problems. Everyone is looking for a shortcut, an easy way, a system. No one knows this better than Satan. Everybody wants to get something for nothing. The millions of contests, raffles, lotteries, bonus gifts, special offers, and free premiums, are proof of this. So are the myriad books, pamphlets, courses, study groups, etc. that purport to teach the ““great secrets” or “revealed wisdom” of one master or another.

The true magician knows one thing for certain, and that is an adage so corny it hardly seems worth stating, but very brutally true:

“You get out of life exactly what you put into it!”

Anton LaVey- LETTERS FROM THE DEVIL

It has been my experience that the Satanist makes his OWN opportunities while applying the essential elements of Lesser Magic to gain opportunities that would otherwise pass him by. Satanists come from all walks of life and not any single path in particular. While there are similarities but it is all your own unique experience!

#364699 - 12/09/08 11:49 PM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: Fiat_Creperum]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
No it just struck a nerve. I blew up about it. I shouldn't have. Just got bothered. Not everyone's problems are my own, and as literature has told me, not everyone is in my shoes, nor will they empathise with my present situation.

And as has been said, it was a hypothetical question.

I shouldn't have taken it so personally.

#364717 - 12/10/08 01:56 AM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: ]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
Originally Posted By: all hallows
i would like opinions on this situation. say you and a best friend are hanging out, and your friend accidentally spills wine on your thousand some dollar lap-top. it is ruined and does not work; your friend had put forth all the money they had ($100) for it to be sent out for possible repairs. you are completely broke, strapped for cash, don't have a job, and are eating oatmeal every day. your friend is absolutely broke and in college.

do you:

a) get upset and angry, then demand that the money be paid back?

b) get upset and angry, and realize there is nothing that can be done?

c) other?

My answer is C. "Other."

I'd grab him by the ears, drag him to the ground and thrash the clumsy oaf to within an inch of his life.
grin

There's always "something that can be done" - it wouldn't replace the lost and important work that was on my laptop but I'd feel much better.
grin

www.uvray.moonfruit.com

#364719 - 12/10/08 02:13 AM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: ]
Noordenzuid Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
c. Other - Get a job.

-Albert Camus

"To passion, to paradise, to pain, to night."

#364737 - 12/10/08 07:01 AM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: Lust]
SueW Offline
CoS Member

Loc: TN,United States
Darn! and I thought that I had bought my copy of TSB in the wrong store- I also was not offered monetary wealth instantanously .

About the computer- does my friend have one also? Can I borrow his/hers until we split the cost of repairs? I probably should not have taken it where I could not protect it- and it was their accident. Both have responsiblity, I think. Can we pick up a temp job or extra work/hours at work to solve the problem. If they truly are a friend- they will keep their word. If they don't have a computer - then they should pay a larger portion of the bill in the form of commercial computer time so that you are not more greatly inconvienced. Very few problems cannot be fixed though not always in the way we might like.
This being the holiday season, what are the odds of him/her getting it fixed for you as part of their presents from the family?
Are they/you getting a refund from taxes in January? Is there a computer science department in the school and could it be fixed as part of a project for a third student? They understand poor as well...

http://singlesmartandsurviving.blogspot.com/

http://darkrae.blogspot.com/

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley

A charming woman doesn't follow the crowd. She is herself. - Loretta Young, American Actress

It takes a lot of courage to show your dreams to someone else. - ERMA BOMBECK

#364762 - 12/10/08 11:49 AM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: ]
HammerOfDoubt Offline

Loc: Miami, FL
This is why I don't own a laptop.

I hear this story over and over again.

This is why I moved in close to my school, so my desktop PC is close enough that I can just go home if I need to do computer work. Also, I carry around a Western Digital passport drive with all my backed up files on it so I can just use a PC at school to access my data.

If a part gets damaged, I can get that part alone replaced, and install it myself. If one hard drive crashes, I can swap it out and replace the lost data from one of the backup drives. And I can put 4 or 5 drives on one PC if I want, not counting the external ones.

Also, my machine looks frikkin evil.

#364764 - 12/10/08 11:54 AM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: ]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
You are all missing the point. This so and so has wasted wine. Wine! mad

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#364768 - 12/10/08 11:59 AM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
HammerOfDoubt Offline

Loc: Miami, FL
Damn, you're right!!

LET THERE BE RAGE!!

#364777 - 12/10/08 12:46 PM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: ]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

A friend that does not voluntarily repay his mistakes in full is not a friend.

#364779 - 12/10/08 01:03 PM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: HorrorCore]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
Originally Posted By: HorrorCore
Quote:
Poor does not equal stupid.

True, but it's not uncommon to see them go hand in hand.

I think each class tends to have its own various types of stupidity. It's just that the stupidity of the poor tends to be particularly glaring and obvious, because they don't have a sense of what they ought to know, and what they ought to act like they know.

Anyway, to answer the original question--

First, I'd see to it that nobody but me has any reason or occasion to drink next to my computer. Second, I'm not strapped for cash. Third, I'm not really a fan of oatmeal.

But, just to play along, I think I would mostly feel sad and upset. Whether I was actually mad at the friend would depend on whether I thought the incident had truly been an innocent, unfortunate accident or not.

From there, I'd probably go looking for an old-new laptop on Ebay or the like--because beggars can't be choosers--and ask that my friend contribute a reasonable amount (to be determined) towards the balance. (I agree with the Rev that any friend who does not at least offer to pay the full balance is not a real friend.) I would find some way to earn some extra cash, and I'd strongly encourage them to do the same.

If my friend is a shifty, lazy, or unreliable sort, I'd tell my sad story to other friends and acquaintances of ours, so that they can help put on the pressure and hold my friend accountable.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#364782 - 12/10/08 01:14 PM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: HorrorCore]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: HorrorCore
Quote:
Poor does not equal stupid.

True, but it's not uncommon to see them go hand in hand.

Actually, that is far from true. If you were to attend an average Mensa meeting, you would find that the attendees cover the gamut, career-wise. You would also find that few are what would be considered successful, if income is your measure. The thing is people with an above average intelligence also have above average curiosity. They have more interests than those with modest intelligence. This often makes it more difficult for them to narrow the range down enough to translate to a successful career. Going in a completely different direction, a fellow stopped me in the hall last week, and expressed surprise at a study about which he read. It listed career avenues by average intelligence. Guess whose career was at the top of the list?

#364783 - 12/10/08 01:30 PM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
The thing is people with an above average intelligence also have above average curiosity. They have more interests than those with modest intelligence. This often makes it more difficult for them to narrow the range down enough to translate to a successful career.

One thing I've noticed is that it also sometimes work the other way around. The intelligent person will become fascinated by one area and end up making a career in that, this can translate into being affluent, but not into being very rich. This will work well for them since there is a lot of satisfaction in working within an area where you have a great interest.

On the other hand some very rich people tend to try their hand a several areas of business (Richard Branson comes to mind) which do not always seem to be related in any way.

#364792 - 12/10/08 02:54 PM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: gypsy]
Descendant Offline

Loc: Inland Empire, Ca
Originally Posted By: gypsy
What would Judge Judy say?

How old are you?

Where did you get the wine?

How much did you have to drink?

How much did your friend have to drink?

Were you and your friend intoxicated?

When did you purchase the laptop? (Depreciation value)

Where was the computer when the accident occurred?

You were both drunken idiots, accidents happen when people don't behave responsibly.

What do you want me to do about it? smirk

Your case is dismissed.

Shit happens.

Step out.

I couldn't agree with this more!

#364804 - 12/10/08 04:30 PM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Ebenezer Scrooge Offline

Loc: New England
Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
You are all missing the point. This so and so has wasted wine. Wine! mad

Given the fact the person in question is a poor college student, it was probably only Boone's Farm that he spilled and not a expensive red/white wine.

Still a shame though, Boone's farm is good and cheap. grin

“I don't mean to sound bitter,cold,or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”-Bill Hicks

#364811 - 12/10/08 06:12 PM Re: you and a great friend are in a predicament; [Re: Ebenezer Scrooge]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Cyprian Latakia

Given the fact the person in question is a poor college student, it was probably only Boone's Farm that he spilled and not a expensive red/white wine.

Since this is a hypothetical situation, I have hypothesized that it was Mad Dog. That's good ripple.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Forum Stats
12201 Members
73 Forums
43985 Topics
406070 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements