Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#367408 - 01/05/09 08:07 AM Re: Beer! [Re: Bill_M]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Ohio
Generally, I much prefer beer over liquor, with an exception being the ever-classic dirty martini (or perhaps a Seven-and-Seven).

For me, that balance struck between the sweetness of the malted barley and the bitterness of fresh hops is a thing of lip-smacking beauty. Of course, since I like to brew my own beer, I also get the chance to experiment and observe how even the most subtle changes can greatly affect the flavor and aroma of the final product. That adds to the "magic" and interest.

While I cannot relate to your disdain for beer specifically, I would imagine that your hatred is akin to the way I feel about say, Jim Beam.

Taste is a funny thing, and all the more intriguing because of the many variations in which it manifests.

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
~ Charles Bukowski

#367476 - 01/05/09 04:27 PM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Descendant Offline

Loc: Inland Empire, Ca
Black and Tan-Guiness and Bass or Guiness and Harp.

Tsingtao-Chinese Beer,surprisingly good.

Newcastle of course, and Mississippi Mud are also very good.

#367554 - 01/06/09 06:47 AM Re: Beer! [Re: Schadenfreude-6]
Blackspring Offline

Loc: London
Is Newcastle Brown common on tap across the pond? I'm from Newcastle and it's rare even there.

As for my preferences, in Winter I drink Guinness - regular mind, not the "cold" version, Timothy Taylors Landlord, Old Speckled Hen, And if I'm working in Bristol (England's cider country) one of the room temp cloudy scrumpys such as Addlestones.

In Summer I usually go for draught Heineken, which I find tastes quite natural, or a chilled draught REAL cider such as Stowford Press. I avoid Stella (or wifebeater as it affectionately known over here) like the plague as I find it tastes very chemically, and the hangovers are nasty. I never drink American "lager".

#368056 - 01/10/09 03:20 PM Re: Beer! [Re: Blackspring]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Blackspring
and the hangovers are nasty. I never drink American "lager".

Ya know, I've never had a hangover...never.

#368228 - 01/12/09 12:37 AM Re: Scotch! [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Valek Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Non-local
A friend of mine in Indy turned me on to Harp. Delicious stuff.

Favorites are harp, Stella, and I recall having Warsteiner once, but I don't remember which one.

#368251 - 01/12/09 08:25 AM Re: Beer! [Re: Bill_M]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
I was never much of a beer drinker either. I tried to like it....then I wondered why anyone would 'have to try' to like something.

I must say however, that I have had some 'good beer' but they did not taste like dirty gym socks (as most beers do).

I had a Raspberry beer before that was fruity, sweet....and yes, tasted like Raspberries.

Chimay was to My liking as it had a taste that was not bitter, not bad, and had a certain something I could not put My finger on. I liked it.

Guiness? I loved Guiness, but only because I drank the stout mixed with other concoctions which were usually guzzled quickly ie. Irish Car Bombs or Flaming Dr. Peppers.

In Germany I found that their beer is quite different than the domestics you find here in the US. Some were terrible yet some were quite lovely.

In the Black Forest it was not uncommon to see beer mixed with Coca Cola. I never tried it......I'll take their word for it that it's 'good'.

I don't partake in alcoholic beverages now and was never much of a drinker, but I did enjoy Vodka and tonics, gin and tonics, etc.

Beer? I don't get the whole beer drinking culture either. The only thing I can suppose is the fact that perhaps....My taste buds are missing the key element to really enjoying the substance.

Some people like pickles. Some people don't. Apparently a LOT of people enjoy beer so maybe it's My taste buds that are missing something...

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#368318 - 01/12/09 07:50 PM Re: Beer! [Re: Evil_Eve]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Originally Posted By: Evil_Eve

Apparently a LOT of people enjoy beer so maybe it's My taste buds that are missing something...

No I would say that it is an acquired taste for some. And as with anything, there are "different strokes, for different folks". You have to do a lot of searching to find the right one(s) for your particular taste.

I can stomach quite a few. I just lucked out with cheap taste in this department smile 12 packs of Steel Reserve here (which usually last me several months as I rarely drink) are about $5.62.

#368395 - 01/13/09 08:22 AM Re: Beer! [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
K_Syn Offline

CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Originally Posted By: TrojZyr

Regretably, I have never had real Guinness before.

You need a spoon to eat Guiness.
I think you may like Harp better. Same company.

Smithwick is also brewed by same company. It is a red ale unlike Harp which is a pale lager or Guinness which is an obvious dry stout. In my opinion they are all great but atleast they brew for a few different tastes.

Visit The Source- Church of Satan

#368396 - 01/13/09 08:27 AM Re: Beer! [Re: Discipline]
K_Syn Offline

CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Discipline
Guinness is decent, for a common store beer.

I wish it was more common around my neck of the woods!!

Also a friend of my father had the pleasure of drinking Guinness, Smithwick and Harp in Ireland. He said that you have not tasted the perfect import until you try it in its homeland. How I wish I could have been there!

Visit The Source- Church of Satan

#368401 - 01/13/09 09:11 AM Re: Beer! [Re: K_Syn]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: Vocal_Demon
Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster
Originally Posted By: TrojZyr

Regretably, I have never had real Guinness before.

You need a spoon to eat Guiness.
I think you may like Harp better. Same company.

Smithwick is also brewed by same company. It is a red ale unlike Harp which is a pale lager or Guinness which is an obvious dry stout. In my opinion they are all great but atleast they brew for a few different tastes.

Smithwick is also nice.
But, I do like Guiness Extra Stout.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#368450 - 01/13/09 05:32 PM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
It is said that, as an act of vengence, the god created death.
Then, as an act of compassion, the goddess created beer, so that we could forget that we will die.

I'll drink to that.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#368471 - 01/14/09 03:09 AM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
DarkApollyon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Brighton, England
Although I don't drink at all these days my favourite brews 'back in the day' were Harvey's Best bitter, Harvey's Bonfire Boy (preferably on draught not bottled)(both brewed by Harvey's Brewery, Lewes, East Sussex, UK), Theakston's Old Peculiar, and Guinness - although I went off Guinness quite suddenly for no apparrent reason in my mid thirties and never drank it again!

Outside of beer - Scotch or Southern Comfort with Coke was my poison of choice without a doubt!

#368501 - 01/14/09 09:25 AM Re: Beer! [Re: Bill_M]
Remo razz Offline

Loc: Canada
I never was a fan of beer either, probably because of the fact that I am allergic to the yeast...

My only allergy and it touches beers and wines...

Cognac and Brandy, now that is what my taste buds want.

Cheers Rev. Bill.

#368548 - 01/14/09 04:04 PM Re: Beer! [Re: Remo razz]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I've often wished that I did like beer. It's cheaper in bars, easier to deal with at social occasions and it's the first thing people offer you. But I just don't like it.

I've developed an appreciation for wine but not a true liking. My preference is for hard alcohol. I drank vodka at home, rum while in the Navy and Absinthe because, well, because I could. Now I pretty much swear off everything. Except when in Vegas. I do enjoy my cocktails then!

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#369540 - 01/22/09 03:15 PM Re: Beer! [Re: Lilibeta]
all hallows
Unregistered

i used to loathe beer, and drink a lot of vodka.

now that i've gotten a little older, i absolutely love beer, and hardly drink liquor anymore. and vitaeviternus is totally right; i am from pittsburgh, and i bleed yuengling. if they don't have yuengling available, my first reaction is always, "what?! whaddaya mean you don't have yuengling, this is pittsburgh!"

i've also learned to appreciate wine as well, but i prefer red wines to white wines. it's also good for you. smile

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Stats
13166 Members
73 Forums
44446 Topics
407324 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold