Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#367066 - 01/02/09 08:19 PM Beer!
TheAbysmal Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
I am leaving this sort of... mmmm ...open-ended. But, I figure with a subject as delicious as beer, this thread will solidify quickly.

My Favorite Beer/Ale/Stout/etc: Guiness
Most Recent One I've Tried that Almost Took the Title: Chimay
Most Recont Brew I've Tried: Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse (Right now, actually)
Most Obscure Brew I Purchase Regularly: Hobgobblin by Wychwood Brewery

Other favorites: Bass, Sam Adams (Many Varieties), Genesee Creme Ale, Blue Moon, Shock Top, St. Ides Special Brew, Stella Artois, Boddingtons

I avoid: Miller, Budweiser, Coors, Strohs, etc., Saporro, Ichiban, Three Kings, almost anything "light"

Other Brews I have Tried: Icehouse (Meh, it's okay), Yuengling, Abita Turbo Dog and Purple Haze, Tucher, Spaten, that Belgian one with the fancy green pop-top bottles, Two Dogs

Brews I have Never Had (or Don't Remember): Pabst Blue Ribbon

I like the dark, rich, full-bodied beers, ales, and stouts. I have tried all different sorts, and even experimented in pairing those with different foods. I am no more good at that than I am a somelier, but it winds up being fun anyway. I think the best way to enjoy a brew is slowly, and out of a glass or frosted mug. I can drink it out of the bottle (never cans), but I think the pouring process brings something to the flavor, or unlocks it rather. Much as a press brings out the flavor of a coffee that a drip brew could never do.

Well, in summary, I like beer. How about You?

P.S., Thank You High Priestess Nadramia for introducing Me to Imbibe magazine, a great source of information on beer, wine, scotch, bourbon, coffee, mixed drinks, and everything in between. smile

#367068 - 01/02/09 09:09 PM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
K_Syn Offline

CoS Member

I have to say Guinness is my favorite! That is all I usually drink. My second choice is Smithwick!

Visit The Source- Church of Satan

#367075 - 01/02/09 10:10 PM Re: Beer! [Re: K_Syn]
Sigurthr Offline

CoS Member

Loc: U.P. of MI, USA
My absolute favorite beer would be:

Paulaner's Hefe-Weizen. It's a German unfiltered wheat beer for those of you unfamiliar with the Hefeweizen term. It has a very low level of bitterness with a good deal of aromatic "warm bread" like subtleties that helps keep such a mild brew from becoming bland after the first few sips. It's got a good strong flavor without being overpowering or too dominant to be able to taste anything afterward. This is what I regularly reach for; I enjoy it alone, and with food, warm, and ice cold.

Second Favorite: Sam Adams' Cherry Wheat. Followed by a few other Sam Adams' brews, though I'm not fond of the insanely hopped ones.

I find beers that are overly hopped or with too strong of a roasted barley component tend to be rather hard to drink.
"After an inferior man has been taught a doctrine of superiority he will remain as inferior as he was before his lesson. He will merely assume himself to be superior, and attempt to employ his recently learned tactics against his own kind, whom he will then consider his inferiors. With each inferior man enjoying what he considers his unique role, the entire bunch will be reduced to a pack of strutting, foppish, self-centered monkeys gamboling about on an island of ignorance. There they will play their games under the supervision of their keeper, who was and will always be a superior man."
-Magus Anton Szandor LaVey (The Devil's Notebook, "Diabolica")

Undefiled Wisdom
**Formerly known as "Romenadan"**

#367078 - 01/02/09 10:14 PM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Bloodfire Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Honolulu, HI
It seems we have almost the exact same taste in beer, though I avoid hefeweizen at all cost--and you probably won't like Pabste Blue Ribbon. Then again, maybe you will? I sure do!

Bloodfire9.com | Bloodfire! Store - Satanic-themed Merchandise
TheQuintessentials.com - Satanic Horror Punk Rock
Other places to find The Quintessentials:
MySpace | Facebook | Twitter | Undercroft | YouTube | ReverbNation

#367079 - 01/02/09 10:21 PM Re: Beer! [Re: Bloodfire]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

I don't mind a Blue Ribbon now and again. Right now I'm enjoying one of my favorites: Rickard's Red. coopdevil

#367080 - 01/02/09 10:31 PM Re: Beer! [Re: HellofallHells]
Schadenfreude-6 Offline

Loc: MB, Canada.
Hmmm tough one! Guinness is #1, Newcastle Brown (on tap), Sam Adams Octoberfest and a local Manitoban brewery in Winnnipeg makes a stout that I love called "Stir Stick Stout", great stuff.

Absolutely hate Bud, total horse piss.

#367082 - 01/02/09 10:54 PM Re: Beer! [Re: Schadenfreude-6]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:
Absolutely hate Bud, total horse piss.

I avoid those major breweries (Molson, Labatt, Coors, etc.) like the plague now. Drank too much of that crap! sick

#367093 - 01/02/09 11:55 PM Re: Beer! [Re: HellofallHells]
Torrent Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Texas
I enjoy Sanwald hefeweisen. The taste is very smooth and it goes down easy. The smell is awsome. There is one downside however. It only takes one or two to fill you up! Then again, they come in much larger bottles than in the States wink

#367095 - 01/03/09 12:07 AM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
verszou Offline

Loc: Denmark
Some of my favorites are the belgian Gulden Drak and Gouden Carolus but given that they are in the 9-10% alcohol range they're not suited for a night at the pub.

In the lighter beers I like brown ales, Newcastle of course being one of them and bitters like Tetleys.

I try to stay clear of mass produced beers, but among those the Tuborg Gold is actually quite good. For soccer games Carlsberg is ok, since they sponsor two of my favorite teams. But don't take their marketing crap about "probably the best beer in the world" seriously smile

Guiness is nice, but there are a lot of good stouts out there, Sinfull Brother from out late, much lamented Ølfabrikken is really good, and so is Nekron form Djævlebryg. Oak Aged Yeti from some microbrewery in Colorado (name escapes me at the moment) is also really good.

During the summer I also like to drink the Belgian wildly fermented Geuze which is almost more similar to wine than beer in some respects.

#367097 - 01/03/09 12:15 AM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

If you can get a hold of it (Quebec micro brew) you must try

La Maudite. Translation: The Damned! coopdevil

#367100 - 01/03/09 12:24 AM Re: Beer! [Re: HellofallHells]
verszou Offline

Originally Posted By: HellofallHells
If you can get a hold of it (Quebec micro brew) you must try

La Maudite. Translation: The Damned! coopdevil

Interesting, I have that one in my "beer cellar". I hear that Canadian microbrews should be very good.

#367102 - 01/03/09 12:34 AM Re: Beer! [Re: verszou]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

All I can say is, Quebec knows how to brew beer and drink it! crossbones

#367108 - 01/03/09 01:34 AM Re: Beer! [Re: HellofallHells]
verszou Offline

Originally Posted By: HellofallHells
All I can say is, Quebec knows how to brew beer and drink it! crossbones

Sounds like a place I'll have to visit some time smile

Forgot to add two others. Trapistes Rochefort - apparently the monks found out that from a production standpoint beer and cheese go together quite well.

And Westvleteren, by many thought to be the actual "best beer in the world". Only available if you travel to the monastery and pick it up yourself, which is what our local importer do, and if he is really lucky he will get all of two cases. But he thinks it's worth the trip.

#367138 - 01/03/09 05:13 AM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Fiat_Creperum Offline
CoS Member

Guiness...Bleh. I've never cared for it which is strange since i like dark, bitter beers. Sam Adams is ok.

The best one I've had isn't available anymore and was from a brewery on the outskirts of Pittsburgh, PA. It was dark, and one of the beers to which they add just a touch of honey.

Good stuff!

Now I generally drink beer-flavored water like Michelob Ultra because of calories.

FC

Undercroft

#367140 - 01/03/09 05:14 AM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Vitaeviternus
Well, in summary, I like beer. How about You?

I absolutely hate beer. It has to be one of the most disgusting drinks I've ever tasted. I can't think of one good reason why I'd want to drink beer. The popularity of this beverage still baffles me. As for most of the beer-drinking culture, I don't know how masochism became synonymous with masculinity.

And no, it's not because I haven't had "the good stuff". I've tasted that too, and I still hate it.

And don't give me the line of "it's an aquired taste" either. That begs the question of why I'd want to aquire a tastebud tolerance for it in the first place.

Though feel free to join me down at the other end of the bar! I'll be there with my Crown & Coke. coopdevil

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#367142 - 01/03/09 05:32 AM Re: Beer! [Re: Bill_M]
Queen Shiba Offline
CoS Member

Loc: USA
Bill_M, looks like I will be joining you at the other end of the bar. I'm soon to be 53. The last time I had a beer was when I was 16. Oh, I thought I was so cool. Being one of the "guys".

Well, I'm not a guy. The beer is gross tasting, and I've never had another beer since I was 16.

Today, the only thing I enjoy, is a "top shelf", Long Island Iced Tea.

I always ask the bartender to make it so I won't remember my name! They are always so kind to make it very strong for me!! devilchili

I always have my girlfriend with me. She does not drink and she's the driver!! Also, she knows where I live so I don't have to tell her that I don't remember my name or where I live!

#367145 - 01/03/09 05:55 AM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
JustinR Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
I don't mind most beers, as long as it's not light. I really can't stand light beers. My friend left some Coors Light here at my house, so I drank a couple of them. I had to check the label to make sure I wasn't drinking water.

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton

JustinR on The Undercroft

#367163 - 01/03/09 08:16 AM Re: Beer! [Re: Bill_M]
Gretchen Offline

Agreed, but nix the Crown (however, I do adore it), and make it a gin and tonic. Bombay and ginger, with a little lemon, please smile

#367168 - 01/03/09 09:09 AM Re: Beer! [Re: Queen Shiba]
verszou Offline

Originally Posted By: MissMina1556
Well, I'm not a guy. The beer is gross tasting, and I've never had another beer since I was 16.

Today, the only thing I enjoy, is a "top shelf", Long Island Iced Tea.

No need to mess with a winning formula, but if you should ever feel adventurous I'd like to point out that the nice Belgian people make beers that hardly taste like what you'd normally define as beer. There are all kinds of strange combinations with fruit, honey or other kinds of taste that even ladies who usually don't drink beer seem to like.

Perhaps a few of the brewers just got tired of girls not wanting to hang out at their place smile

Nothing wrong with a long drink though, I've never been an either-or person.

#367170 - 01/03/09 09:21 AM Re: Beer! [Re: verszou]
Queen Shiba Offline
CoS Member

Loc: USA
Ohhh....fruit and honey?? Now, that I would be willing to try! I've never heard of a beer mixed with such ingredients. I don't get out much! laugh

#367173 - 01/03/09 09:53 AM Re: Beer! [Re: Queen Shiba]
verszou Offline

Originally Posted By: MissMina1556
Ohhh....fruit and honey?? Now, that I would be willing to try! I've never heard of a beer mixed with such ingredients. I don't get out much! laugh

It's a bit of travel from your place to Belgium, so no wonder you haven't heard of them. I don't think people in general know of them outside the country.

Most of the ones I've seen are some I've gotten through a Belgian "beers-of-the-month" club like thing that one of the local specialty stores offers.

#367180 - 01/03/09 11:29 AM Re: Beer! [Re: Bill_M]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

Yes, and now everybody who hates beer will now chime in.

Great. wink

#367191 - 01/03/09 03:18 PM Re: Beer! [Re: Bill_M]
TheAbysmal Offline

Oh, now I can enjoy some Crown and Coke, or even a foofooey Crown and Cranberry.

But, if We are going to talk whiskey, then I'll have a Scotch. And, one of these days, I am going to have another bottle of Blue Label. It is expensive, but it is worth it. That is, until I can afford to plunk down the coin for Laphroaig.

#367192 - 01/03/09 03:21 PM Re: Beer! [Re: Fiat_Creperum]
TheAbysmal Offline

Just outside of Pittsburgh. Hmmm. Yeungling is huge in PGH, and in Columbia, SC, somehow. It was in Columbia where I came across Yeungling's Black and Tan. If I am not mistaken, I think it had a touch of honey. Either way, it was darker than their flagship offering, and damned tasty.

#367199 - 01/03/09 04:08 PM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Fiat_Creperum Offline
CoS Member

For some reason, reading your post jogged my memory some and I found it:

JJ Wainwright's Evil Eye Honey Brown

It was good stuff. Too bad I can't seem to find it around here anymore!

FC

Undercroft

#367203 - 01/03/09 04:59 PM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Shameless plug.

The Fire From Within, "Beer", pages 69-71.

How you drink it is as important as what you drink.

Those who dislike it, have been usually misled by this critical issue.

tiki
BENEATH THE SEVENTH TOWER OF SATAN - Deeper VR ritual.
THE FIRE FROM WITHIN - My book.

My first audio interview on GREATER MAGIC
My second audio interview by Rev Campbell

#367206 - 01/03/09 05:31 PM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
ArtAche86 Offline

Loc: Cthulhu's Bowels,Kentucky
Steel Reserve is my sweety. Other than beer I enjoy a couple sips of Jagermeister, on rare occasion.

#367224 - 01/03/09 08:37 PM Re: Beer! [Re: Nemo]
TheAbysmal Offline

Absolutely.

I can hardly stand to drink it straight from the bottle now that I know how the pour affects the flavor. Better or worse may still be a matter of opinion or taste--and there is no guarantee it will improve the flavor for everyone--but nearly everyone will notice a dramatic difference.

I experienced similar epiphanies drinking coffee. As I disccovered better roasts, grinds, and brewing methods, I began to notice coffee's nuances and complexities. If anyone here thinks Starbucks is a step up from common gas-station quality, try brewing freshly roasted (Coffee Fool) and ground coffee in a French press. I have seen people that absolutely hate coffee change their minds after trying it.

Really, I think dramatic improvements in the flavor of any beverage occur when attention is paid to the freshness and quality of the ingredients, and to the subtlties of preparation. That can be as simple as freshly squeezed orange juice, or as involving as making iced coffee correctly.

Of course, sometimes I just develop a taste for certain things to be a certain way.

If flavor was the only factor, Purple Stuff would win Me over Sunny D almost always. smile

#367226 - 01/03/09 08:47 PM Re: Beer! [Re: Schadenfreude-6]
Mr.Terrestrium Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Arm's reach from a Glock 26
The funny thing about Budweiser is it actually tastes better in a can than a bottle, the aluminum accentuates the abundance of rice nicely.

That is a joke, by the way.

A German friend told me Kostritzer(?) is the equivalent to our Bud, but I'll take one of those to almost any major American beer.

#367229 - 01/03/09 10:57 PM Re: Beer! [Re: Mr.Terrestrium]
Sakura Offline

Loc: The Circus
I actually haven't heard any of the brands here, apart from Bud, which tastes like piss (at least that's what I've concluded. As far as beer goes, I don't like Heineken, Grolsch or Amstel for obvious piss reasons. I drink Hertog Jan, for me, if I decide to drink beer, it's the best. I also like the special Dutch, Belgian and German beers: Palm, Leffe (in normal, Double and triple variety) Kriek and a lot more, but I can't remember all the names. I also like "het Kanon", but you really have to like it (and it's fun for tourists) it's a "beer" with a "bite". It packs about 11% of alcohol in a normal beer bottle. I don't drink beer often, but if I do go out it's probably the above things I drink. I learned to drink beer, for the simple fact that when I was in college, mix drinks (bacardi & coke etc) and cocktails were too expensive, so I started drinking beer.
"You must be," said the Cat, "otherwise you wouldn't have come here."
Alice didn't think that proved it at all: however she went on. "And how do you know that you're mad?"
"To begin with," said the Cat, "a dog's not mad. You grant that?"
"I suppose so," said Alice.
"Well, then, " the Cat went on, "you see a dog growls when it's angry, and wags its tail when it's pleased. Now I growl when I'm pleased, and wag my tail when I'm angry. Therefore I'm mad."

#367230 - 01/03/09 11:00 PM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis

Most Obscure Brew I Purchase Regularly: Hobgobblin by Wychwood Brewery

Very good.
I regularly purchase Stone IPA.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#367234 - 01/04/09 12:28 AM Re: Beer! [Re: Sakura]
CBKS Offline

CoS Member

Loc: D/FW Texas
One beer that I don't think was mentioned was the German beer: Paulaner Salvatore Double Bock ....
great rich flavor.

I do, however, prefer and enjoy Crown & Coke to beer. It doesn't make me feel so 'full'. smile

#367265 - 01/04/09 07:16 AM Re: Beer! [Re: Sakura]
Mr.Terrestrium Offline
CoS Member

I'm familiar with Kriek, but not Palm, Leffe, or het Kanon. All of the biggest Dutch beers seriously disappointed me, they seem to like a little beer with their hops. I like the Belgian white tendency toward extra maltiness.

As far as German brews go, I don't think I've tried one single beer that I really didn't like. The purity laws ensure a very strict national interpretation of what "beer" is, along with a good standard of quality in contrast to America's loose "anything goes" market.
Altough you CAN find some interesting, subtly flavored brews here in the states. As soon as I can find the names of the last few I had, which were exceptional, I'll post them here.

#367266 - 01/04/09 07:26 AM Re: Beer! [Re: CBKS]
verszou Offline

Originally Posted By: CBKS
One beer that I don't think was mentioned was the German beer: Paulaner Salvatore Double Bock ....
great rich flavor.

Needs to be cold though. I tried one at the Wacken festival three years ago which had not been cooled and it was almost impossible to get down.

The Paulaner Salvator is said to have been the inspiration for the modern strong beers that Carlsberg put out around easter and christmas, so I guess we owe them much for making sure that we would get the "spirit" of these occasions smile

#367268 - 01/04/09 07:59 AM Re: Scotch! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Mr.Terrestrium Offline
CoS Member

But, if We are going to talk whiskey, then I'll have a Scotch. And, one of these days, I am going to have another bottle of Blue Label. It is expensive, but it is worth it. That is, until I can afford to plunk down the coin for Laphroaig.

I LOVE Laphroaigh! Oban is also on my list, perhaps second down of the big "Isles". Talisker not so much. I recieved a beautiful coffee table book on Scotches, single and blended, the processes, equipment, water sources, all beautifully photographed.
Scotch porn, or, if you prefer: glamour photography; it's titled "The Water of Life", and I don't recall the author. Very nice book.

Edited by Mr.Terrestrium (01/04/09 08:00 AM)

#367270 - 01/04/09 08:19 AM Re: Scotch! [Re: Mr.Terrestrium]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland
The word "whisky" comes from the Gaelic "uisgebeatha" which means "water of life".

http://www.visitscottishheartlands.com/whisky/didyou.html

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

#367272 - 01/04/09 08:42 AM Re: Scotch! [Re: Mr.Terrestrium]
verszou Offline

Sounds like a very interesting book.

When I was younger my favorite was Laphroaigh, but I've mellowed a bit with age and I think my current favorites would be Bowmore and Ardbeg. Also, though that sort of moves us out of the "distilled beer" territory, I'm fond of some of the American bourbons and ryes, like Blanstons, Shazarac and Van Winkles.

#367285 - 01/04/09 10:43 AM Re: Scotch! [Re: verszou]
TrojZyr Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: The Solid State
I would say my favorite beers are Noche Buena, Samuel Adams, Fat Tire, and Negro Modelo. I wouldn't say I'm a beer connoisseur by any means, but I tend to like them very rich and dark, or very light.

Regretably, I have never had real Guinness before.

"The strong rule the weak, and the cunning rule over all." HS!

#367291 - 01/04/09 11:08 AM Re: Scotch! [Re: TrojZyr]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: TrojZyr

You need a spoon to eat Guiness.
I think you may like Harp better. Same company.

#367297 - 01/04/09 11:45 AM Re: Scotch! [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
MagdaGraham Offline
CoS Priestess

Loc: Scotland
Guinness is the most wonderful drink ever.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=3

#367306 - 01/04/09 01:23 PM Re: Beer! [Re: Bill_M]
DLlo_S810 Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Charlotte/Concord, NC
I have to say that Heinekin is at the top of my list but, I prefer a really good wine if given the choice.

#367322 - 01/04/09 03:01 PM Re: Beer [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Ice Claw Offline

CoS Member

Mmmmmm

A Hackerpshor with a big squeeze of lemon is probably my favorite.

But Stouts have a special place in my heart too.

#367331 - 01/04/09 03:56 PM Myself Either [Re: TrojZyr]
ArtAche86 Offline

I too have never had a Guiness before. I've tried Heineken and didn't really enjoy it much. Although their keg cans are stylish, admittedly.

However you should try Steel Reserve if you like a stout tatsting beer. Slow-brewed for 28 days...its tasty!

#367343 - 01/04/09 04:51 PM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Discipline Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Forever West
Guinness is decent, for a common store beer.

Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse is okay. I prefer their dunkel more. Munich has some good Helles beers that I would take over their Hefe-Weissens.

Stones’ Smoked Porter is one of my favorites. Another is Black Marlin Porter or Victory At Sea Stout by Balstic Point Brewery. One of my real favorites is St. Peters Brewry’s Cream Stout. There is also great ale called “Red Seal Ale”. Woo, and another I like is Stones’ IPA, not as strong as their Ruination, but still very hoppy. There is a good stout from Portland called the Terminator which I think is brewed by Hammerhead (not sure the brewery’s name).

P.S. I like beer too. Good expensive beers, not cheap piss beer shoved in everyone’s face at a beach party.

"At last I shall have time to devote myself seriously and freely to the destruction of all my former opinions." ~Descartes

“The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool.” ~Richard Feynman

#367382 - 01/04/09 09:23 PM Re: Beer! [Re: Nemo]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: New England, USA
Originally Posted By: Nemo
Those who dislike it, have been usually misled by this critical issue.

No, I read it. I'm aware of the whole ritual you describe. And I still hate beer.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#367408 - 01/05/09 08:07 AM Re: Beer! [Re: Bill_M]
Mr. Obsidian Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Ohio
Generally, I much prefer beer over liquor, with an exception being the ever-classic dirty martini (or perhaps a Seven-and-Seven).

For me, that balance struck between the sweetness of the malted barley and the bitterness of fresh hops is a thing of lip-smacking beauty. Of course, since I like to brew my own beer, I also get the chance to experiment and observe how even the most subtle changes can greatly affect the flavor and aroma of the final product. That adds to the "magic" and interest.

While I cannot relate to your disdain for beer specifically, I would imagine that your hatred is akin to the way I feel about say, Jim Beam.

Taste is a funny thing, and all the more intriguing because of the many variations in which it manifests.

Olio/Etcetera

Flesh and Bones

“For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.”
~ Charles Bukowski

#367476 - 01/05/09 04:27 PM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Descendant Offline

Loc: Inland Empire, Ca
Black and Tan-Guiness and Bass or Guiness and Harp.

Tsingtao-Chinese Beer,surprisingly good.

Newcastle of course, and Mississippi Mud are also very good.

#367554 - 01/06/09 06:47 AM Re: Beer! [Re: Schadenfreude-6]
Blackspring Offline

Loc: London
Is Newcastle Brown common on tap across the pond? I'm from Newcastle and it's rare even there.

As for my preferences, in Winter I drink Guinness - regular mind, not the "cold" version, Timothy Taylors Landlord, Old Speckled Hen, And if I'm working in Bristol (England's cider country) one of the room temp cloudy scrumpys such as Addlestones.

In Summer I usually go for draught Heineken, which I find tastes quite natural, or a chilled draught REAL cider such as Stowford Press. I avoid Stella (or wifebeater as it affectionately known over here) like the plague as I find it tastes very chemically, and the hangovers are nasty. I never drink American "lager".

#368056 - 01/10/09 03:20 PM Re: Beer! [Re: Blackspring]
ArtAche86 Offline

Originally Posted By: Blackspring
and the hangovers are nasty. I never drink American "lager".

Ya know, I've never had a hangover...never.

#368228 - 01/12/09 12:37 AM Re: Scotch! [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
Valek Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Non-local
A friend of mine in Indy turned me on to Harp. Delicious stuff.

Favorites are harp, Stella, and I recall having Warsteiner once, but I don't remember which one.

#368251 - 01/12/09 08:25 AM Re: Beer! [Re: Bill_M]
Evil_Eve Offline
CoS Member

Loc: 1313 Mockingbird Lane
I was never much of a beer drinker either. I tried to like it....then I wondered why anyone would 'have to try' to like something.

I must say however, that I have had some 'good beer' but they did not taste like dirty gym socks (as most beers do).

I had a Raspberry beer before that was fruity, sweet....and yes, tasted like Raspberries.

Chimay was to My liking as it had a taste that was not bitter, not bad, and had a certain something I could not put My finger on. I liked it.

Guiness? I loved Guiness, but only because I drank the stout mixed with other concoctions which were usually guzzled quickly ie. Irish Car Bombs or Flaming Dr. Peppers.

In Germany I found that their beer is quite different than the domestics you find here in the US. Some were terrible yet some were quite lovely.

In the Black Forest it was not uncommon to see beer mixed with Coca Cola. I never tried it......I'll take their word for it that it's 'good'.

I don't partake in alcoholic beverages now and was never much of a drinker, but I did enjoy Vodka and tonics, gin and tonics, etc.

Beer? I don't get the whole beer drinking culture either. The only thing I can suppose is the fact that perhaps....My taste buds are missing the key element to really enjoying the substance.

Some people like pickles. Some people don't. Apparently a LOT of people enjoy beer so maybe it's My taste buds that are missing something...

"Our religion does not require martyrs."
Magistra Nadramia.

FEARED!
Revered.
YOU can be a voice for the voiceless.

#368318 - 01/12/09 07:50 PM Re: Beer! [Re: Evil_Eve]
ArtAche86 Offline

Originally Posted By: Evil_Eve

Apparently a LOT of people enjoy beer so maybe it's My taste buds that are missing something...

No I would say that it is an acquired taste for some. And as with anything, there are "different strokes, for different folks". You have to do a lot of searching to find the right one(s) for your particular taste.

I can stomach quite a few. I just lucked out with cheap taste in this department smile 12 packs of Steel Reserve here (which usually last me several months as I rarely drink) are about $5.62.

#368395 - 01/13/09 08:22 AM Re: Beer! [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
K_Syn Offline

CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster

Smithwick is also brewed by same company. It is a red ale unlike Harp which is a pale lager or Guinness which is an obvious dry stout. In my opinion they are all great but atleast they brew for a few different tastes.

#368396 - 01/13/09 08:27 AM Re: Beer! [Re: Discipline]
K_Syn Offline

CoS Member

Originally Posted By: Discipline
Guinness is decent, for a common store beer.

I wish it was more common around my neck of the woods!!

Also a friend of my father had the pleasure of drinking Guinness, Smithwick and Harp in Ireland. He said that you have not tasted the perfect import until you try it in its homeland. How I wish I could have been there!

#368401 - 01/13/09 09:11 AM Re: Beer! [Re: K_Syn]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Originally Posted By: Vocal_Demon
Originally Posted By: Roho_the_Rooster

Smithwick is also brewed by same company. It is a red ale unlike Harp which is a pale lager or Guinness which is an obvious dry stout. In my opinion they are all great but atleast they brew for a few different tastes.

Smithwick is also nice.
But, I do like Guiness Extra Stout.

#368450 - 01/13/09 05:32 PM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

It is said that, as an act of vengence, the god created death.
Then, as an act of compassion, the goddess created beer, so that we could forget that we will die.

I'll drink to that.

#368471 - 01/14/09 03:09 AM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
DarkApollyon Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Brighton, England
Although I don't drink at all these days my favourite brews 'back in the day' were Harvey's Best bitter, Harvey's Bonfire Boy (preferably on draught not bottled)(both brewed by Harvey's Brewery, Lewes, East Sussex, UK), Theakston's Old Peculiar, and Guinness - although I went off Guinness quite suddenly for no apparrent reason in my mid thirties and never drank it again!

Outside of beer - Scotch or Southern Comfort with Coke was my poison of choice without a doubt!

#368501 - 01/14/09 09:25 AM Re: Beer! [Re: Bill_M]
Remo razz Offline

Loc: Canada
I never was a fan of beer either, probably because of the fact that I am allergic to the yeast...

My only allergy and it touches beers and wines...

Cognac and Brandy, now that is what my taste buds want.

Cheers Rev. Bill.

#368548 - 01/14/09 04:04 PM Re: Beer! [Re: Remo razz]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I've often wished that I did like beer. It's cheaper in bars, easier to deal with at social occasions and it's the first thing people offer you. But I just don't like it.

I've developed an appreciation for wine but not a true liking. My preference is for hard alcohol. I drank vodka at home, rum while in the Navy and Absinthe because, well, because I could. Now I pretty much swear off everything. Except when in Vegas. I do enjoy my cocktails then!

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#369540 - 01/22/09 03:15 PM Re: Beer! [Re: Lilibeta]
all hallows
Unregistered

i used to loathe beer, and drink a lot of vodka.

now that i've gotten a little older, i absolutely love beer, and hardly drink liquor anymore. and vitaeviternus is totally right; i am from pittsburgh, and i bleed yuengling. if they don't have yuengling available, my first reaction is always, "what?! whaddaya mean you don't have yuengling, this is pittsburgh!"

i've also learned to appreciate wine as well, but i prefer red wines to white wines. it's also good for you. smile

#370202 - 01/28/09 08:46 PM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
TheAbysmal Offline

Today, I grabbed a six pack of Hoegaarden. Wow. A Belgian White that really gets it right! This iss not Shock Top, Blue Moon, or Leinenkugel. The coriander is noticeable without being overwhelming, and the orange peel is barely there. I find an unusual combination of words describes it. It is a heavy beer, yet it is also very crisp.

Having read the bottle, it claims to be "The original Belgian White Beer", established in 1445. I have not done my fact finding yet, but being established in 1445, One might think the company knows what it is doing. They certainly got this one right.

I also eyed a six pack of a Czech brew, but opted for Red Hook IPA instead. Anyone here familiar with Czech beers that can school Me on those? I have never sampled a Czech brew, or do not remember it. While I am adventurous, I also tend to find fancy labelinnng and foiling somewhat off-putting: What is more important, the bottle or the beer? Or, so My thoughts go.

#370226 - 01/29/09 05:21 AM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Blackspring Offline

Loc: London
Budweiser Budvar is a good Czech brew, I believe it is marketed as Czechvar in the States, because of the trademark dispute with Budweiser. This is quite ironic as the term Budweiser actually means "something from the town of Budweis in the Czech Republic"

#370233 - 01/29/09 06:14 AM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Today, I grabbed a six pack of Hoegaarden.

I have seen this beer, almost gotten it, but passed it by.
You given it a glowing review, so I will pick some up today.

I have already mentioned thisd, but you may want to try Stone IPA: http://www.stonebrew.com/tasting/ipa/index.html
It is very hoppy, and is quickly becoming one of my prefered beers.

#370251 - 01/29/09 07:20 AM Re: Beer! [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
~suzanne~ Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Guinness is to heavy for me. But I like Murphy's Irish Red, its softer.
Than I like Hertog Jan and from Belgium Palm and Duvel!
But the most places were I go also serve Grolsch, thats okay.

I would like to say: Cheerz!!!
Proost!! (Netherlands)

Edited by ~suzanne~ (01/29/09 07:21 AM)

#370352 - 01/29/09 08:08 PM Re: Beer! [Re: ~suzanne~]
Gladius Satanas Offline

Loc: Utah, U.S.
I will and have tried most everything, but when I drink, I find myself always returning to Guinness. I enjoy the color, texture and the moderate, relaxing buzz it provides. It is pure comfort.

Originally Posted By: all hallows
i've also learned to appreciate wine as well, but i prefer red wines to white wines. it's also good for you. smile

So is Guinness! laugh

Edited by Unbound (01/29/09 08:11 PM)

#370988 - 02/04/09 07:53 PM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

I have tried a blueberry beer, which was actually kind of tasty.

I tried a chocolate beer that just didn't do it for me.
Has anyone tried a chocolate beer they could recommend?

#371062 - 02/05/09 09:30 AM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Dandy_Zak Offline

Loc: New England
Häffe-Weiße tops anything I have had, in my opinion.

#371167 - 02/06/09 06:08 AM Re: Beer! [Re: Mr.Terrestrium]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

What!

Köstritzer is a fantastic German beer, one of the best. It's easily my favorite, and I'm a pretty picky bastard about what I call a good beer.

Warsteiner is more like a German version of Budweiser. Yeah, it's ok, no German could make such a fucking mess of beer as Budweiser is, but it's pretty obviously mass produced, low grade beer.

In point of fact the only beers I've had that compared to Köstritzer for flavor were abbey ales.

#371260 - 02/06/09 11:21 PM Re: Beer! [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
ParaBellum Offline

Loc: Plausibly deniable
In no particular order:

Guinness
Newcastle Brown
Final Absolution (a Belgian Trippel from a local microbrewery)
Rasputin Imperial Stout
Aventinus (Doppelbock)
Arrogant Bastard Ale
Fat Tire
Blue Moon
Almost any Hefeweizen

When I was stationed in Germany, Binding was the local flavor. Their Romer Pils was a favorite. Kristallweizen with a slice of lemon is refreshing on a summer's day.

As for Scotch, I have a bottle of Aberlour 16 waiting for me when I return home.

#371878 - 02/14/09 07:50 PM Re: Beer! [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
TheAbysmal Offline

I would recommend Chimay, which is not a chocolate beer, per se, but has a chocolately taste to it. The darker one does, at least. Also, the Liberty Tap Room (Columbia SC) offers a seasonal brew that is even chocolatier. I cannot remember the name of it, but damn if it is not a good "chocolate" beer. Wychwood Brewery's Hobgoblin Dark English Ale is also reminiscent of chocolate. Very good.

I have found, and would argue, the better "chocolate" beers tend to be of the darker variety.

Also, not a beer, but Arizona Tea once marketed a Chocolate Soda. I could not tolerate the flavor, but My brother loved the stuff. Not beer, but a bubbly chocalate drink nevertheless.

Finally, I came back back to this thread to comment on Stone IPA, which was recommended to Me. Stone IPA is really good, and funny that I come to this reply... Feintly chocolatey/hoppy in taste.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Forum Stats
13166 Members
73 Forums
44440 Topics
407321 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold