Topic Options
#368031 - 01/10/09 02:38 PM Are Satanists Atheists or not?
Herr_S Offline

Loc: Mordor
Anton LaVey wrote in The Satanic Bible:

"It is a popular misconception that the Satanist does not believe in God. The concept of "God", as interpreted by man, has been so varied throughout the ages, that the Satanist simply accepts the definition which suits him best."

He then goes on and talks about God as a "powerful force which permeates and balances the universe". But most people I have heard from, claiming to be satanist also call themselves atheists. But how can they call themselves atheists when it is said in The Satanic Bible that satanists in fact are not atheists?

#368039 - 01/10/09 03:34 PM Re: Are Satanists Atheists or not? [Re: Herr_S]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Here is a hint: Read the whole chapter.

Then, if I'm not mistaken, the following chapter.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#368065 - 01/10/09 06:59 PM Re: Are Satanists Atheists or not? [Re: Herr_S]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
Read the very next sentence that comes right after the part you quoted. Then read the next chapter ("The God You Save May Be Yourself", which spans a mere 2 pages) for further details on that sentence.

The short answer is that Satanists are indeed atheists. We do not believe in the existence of any sort of metaphysical deities. That's what "atheism" means ("a" + "theism" = without belief in deity). We recognize deities as being inventions of the human mind. Unlike your typical run-of-the-mill atheist though, we don't blindly dismiss ritual or the symbolism of self-deification as useless.

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

Forum Stats
12173 Members
73 Forums
43940 Topics
405811 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements