Topic Options
#36915 - 04/25/04 02:31 AM My Profound Sorrow
Moria Offline

I recently finished reading Magistra Barton's biography of Dr. LaVey, and I was filled with a profound sense of sorrow. I don't want to come off as sounding like and idiot, but somehow I feel that telling this to other people who may have known Dr. LaVey and interacted with him in life will understand how I feel.

I am deeply saddened that I will never have the chance to just talk to him, to sit down and pick his brain. He may never have even wanted to speak to me, but the fact is I'll never know. I'll never get to see him in person, or listen to him play his keyboards. The fact that I'll never see the infamous Black House, or the good Doctor perform a ritual, it's just, sad. He is the one person I admire the most, because he is the only person to ever reach me like he did, through his works, through his words. I owe him a debt of gratitude, one that I'll never be able to repay. I can never take him to the symphony to hear Wagner's "Ring" cycle, nor can I flash grill him a rare steak and sit around afterwords talking with him about politics and music.

I envy all of you fortunate enough to have known this man in real life, and to have spent time with him before his death. I sincerely hope that all who were this fortunate do not take for granted the time that you spent with him, and the things you learned from him. Those are experiences that I can never have, but I am far richer because of the legacy he left behind.

I raise my glass, then, to the great Doktor.....for he has fulfilled his dream, and as long as I and my line survive, he will never be forgotten.

Hail Anton Szandor LaVey!
Hail Satan!
"Satanism has become a gravitational force. We know that it doesn't matter what you were before. Once you discover your Satanic persona, that's it. You knew it was lurking inside you. You just couldn't quite conceptualize it." - Anton Szandor LaVey

#36916 - 04/25/04 09:11 AM Re: My Profound Sorrow [Re: Moria]
Ringu Offline

Loc: NRW, Germany, Earth
Quote:

I don't want to come off as sounding like and idiot

You dont

Quote:

I am deeply saddened that I will never have the chance to just talk to him, to sit down and pick his brain.

Well you didnt need to be sad about that - his ideas and imagination did become part of this world. He did somethin' really great, thats completly correct but i also think that he didnt got the worst part of a thinkable life. There were other great people for example take Friedrich Nietzsche and his death - how he ended. Its more worst and sad then the end of Dr. A. S. LaVey. Of course it depends on the person itself if he/she will survive or not and if he/she is so powerful that he/she can realise his/hers ideas and let 'em become real. But to Nietzsches time it would be rather impossible - completly. There are other people that were great and died. That the Doctor died is not a sad part of his life. It shouldnt - he did much for this world even if Satanism isnt completly established in the world, he established a necessary thing: the first satanic organisation called Church of Satan. And thats a great thing - his energy isnt just lost - it "lives" forever in this organisation and in his books/ideas. Of course im sure he didnt wanted to die - he might wanted to realise more of his ideas. But the end of life is not the end of all and it is part of the human life. And that is my complete personal sight if i think about Dr. Magus Anton Szandor LaVey. The nearest persons of himself may think different - the loose might feel harder for them as for me of course. I cannot talk like i would know LaVey i didnt knew him and i can only talk from my personal view. For them he is really something special but for me he was just a great person - a recent one but also one of other great persons. But he was one of the best - im sure of that

#36917 - 04/25/04 08:59 PM Re: My Profound Sorrow [Re: Moria]
Mr_Scary Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Colorado springs, Colorado
I would agree with you, it would have been amazing to sit and talk with such a human as he. I have felt the same as you in wishing I had met him. He didn't just open doors, he kicked them open and yelled "Hooray!!"

#36918 - 04/25/04 11:32 PM Consolation. [Re: Moria]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
Well I was among the few who were honored to meet Dr. LaVey and there are two sources of direct consolation you can turn to to your own benefit.

(1) His writings.

The Doktor graced us with his wisdom and wit in numerous books, magazine articles, interviews and in writings in "The Cloven Hoof" as well as "The Black Flame".

(2) Speak Of The Devil

A truly wonderful documentary which is precisely like having a visit to The Doktor's Black House including an organ recital. I would strongly suggest that you obtain this video.

#36919 - 04/26/04 01:39 AM Re: Consolation. [Re: Nemo]
Moria Offline

Thus far his writings have been my only consolation, but after reading the description of that video, I know it's in my shopping cart next paycheck. Thanks for the kind reply, and the tip on the video.
"Satanism has become a gravitational force. We know that it doesn't matter what you were before. Once you discover your Satanic persona, that's it. You knew it was lurking inside you. You just couldn't quite conceptualize it." - Anton Szandor LaVey

#36920 - 04/27/04 04:00 AM Re: Consolation. [Re: Moria]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
You are most welcome.

I feel certain you will enjoy it very much as I have.

#36921 - 04/28/04 02:59 AM Re: My Profound Sorrow [Re: Ringu]
LadyJane Offline

I've just finished reading the same bio, i felt the sadness too. I also felt cofusion i couldn't really place his personality,some times he came across as a really nice guy,the next really nasty and vindictive, i guess that's just human nature, and of course not being able to place him was exactly what he wanted.

I would have loved to have met him and i will always have him at a "Fantasy dinner party" lol But i don't think we would have got on! still it would have been fun to see for sure!!

Forum Stats
12198 Members
73 Forums
43977 Topics
406020 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements