Topic Options
#36961 - 04/25/04 12:08 PM Priest murders Nun then performs her funeral
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
4/24/2004

Toledo Priest-Nun Slaying

By (Toledo-AP)
A Roman Catholic priest charged in the 1980 strangling and stabbing of a nun whose body was found covered by an altar cloth in a hospital chapel always was a suspect in the killing.

VIDEO: Watch 13abc's Coverage on the Priest-Nun Slaying
Charged Priest's Bio

Police never could gather enough evidence, though, until they reopened the case about five months ago. On Friday, police arrested the Rev. Gerald Robinson, who performed the funeral for the 71-year-old nun.

Police Chief Mike Navarre would only say that "new technology" led them back to Robinson, 66, who was charged with murder. Navarre would not talk about evidence or a motive.

Robinson and Sister Margaret Ann Pahl worked together at Toledo's Mercy Hospital where he was the hospital's chaplain.

Pahl was strangled before she was stabbed about 30 times on April 5, 1980. Her body was found surrounded by lit candles with her arms folded across her chest in the chapel where she was the caretaker.

It was described by some investigators as a "ritualistic" killing.

"It is about the most outrageous thing I can think of," said Ray Vetter, a retired deputy police chief who investigated the killing. "It was even more galling that we didn't make an arrest. It must of aged me 10 years."

Police never suspected robbery as a motive because they found Pahl's purse and several gold crucifixes near her body.

No fingerprints or footprints were found. Investigators determined that the killer used a small knife.

There was some evidence but not enough to get a conviction against anyone, Vetter said.

Robinson, whose office was steps from the chapel, remained a primary suspect because he was near the chapel at the time of the killing, Vetter said.

"He was a suspect, but he wasn't the only suspect," Vetter said on Saturday.

Jan Schaeffer, who worked in the hospital's emergency department, said she suspected Robinson because he was one of the few people near the chapel, which was tucked away in the hospital.

"It was somebody who would have had to know what sister's habits were," she said. "It had to be somebody who knew the territory and knew the routine. That leaves you with very few people."

Robinson stayed at the hospital for several years after the slaying, she said, adding that he was quiet and aloof.

He now is semi-retired and has been performing a few assignments at nursing homes, the diocese said.

He was being held in the Lucas County jail. It was unclear if he had legal representation or when he would be arraigned.

Police started up the cold case based on a tip provided to the Lucas County prosecutor's office.

The Rev. Michael Billian, spokesman for the 19-county Diocese of Toledo, said church officials will cooperate with police. "It certainly saddens the diocese," he said.

The slaying over Easter weekend in 1980 shocked the city. Hospital workers collected money for a reward and the county government offered another $10,000.

Pahl was a former director of the hospital's nursing school and also was an administrator at hospitals in Toledo and Tiffin.

The victim's sister, Catherine Flegal, said Saturday she was shocked to hear of an arrest more than 24 years after the crime.

"I thought it was very sad to think anyone could do such a thing, worse yet it was a priest," she said. "I think that man must of been very sick. Lord only knows what possessed him to do such a thing." Flegal said her sister had been a nun for 50 years.

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/news/424_priestslaying.html

Priest Bio
NAME - Gerald John Robinson.
AGE - 66; born April 14, 1938, in Toledo, Ohio.
EDUCATION - St. Mary's College, Orchard Lake, Mich.; SS Cyril & Methodius Seminary, Orchard Lake.
ORDAINED - Queen of the Most Holy Rosary Cathedral in Toledo, May 30, 1964.
CAREER - Assistant pro tem, St. Adalbert parish in Toledo, 1964-69; associate pastor, Christ the King in Toledo, 1969-72; associate pastor, St. Adalbert in Toledo, 1972-73; associate pastor, St. Michael's in Findlay, 1973-74; chaplain, Mercy Hospital in Toledo, 1974-81; pastor of St. Anthony, St. Stansislaus and Nativity Parishes in Toledo, 1981-89; associate pastor, St. Joseph's in Sylvania, 1989-90; part-time ministry at Flower Hospital and Lake Park Nursing Home in Sylvania, 1990-94; chaplain at Flower Hospital and Lake Park Nursing Home, 1994-96; administrator of St. Vincent de Paul in Toledo, 1996-97.

SOURCE: Catholic Diocese of Toledo

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/news/424_priestbio.html

Attachments
214293-geraldrobinson.jpg (35 downloads)

"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#36962 - 04/25/04 02:21 PM Re: Priest murders Nun then performs her funeral [Re: Svengali]
reprobate Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Canada
I'd like to hear if they ever figure out a motive.

#36963 - 04/25/04 02:26 PM Re: Priest murders Nun then performs her funeral [Re: reprobate]
Svengali Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Florida, U.S.A.
Quote:

strangled before she was stabbed about 30 times

If I had to guess I would say sexual tension.
"As for wars, well, there's only been 268 years out of the last 3421 in which there were no wars. So war, too, is in the normal course of events." -- Will Durant.
"Satanism is the worship of life, not a hypocritical, whitewashed vision of life, but life as it really is." -- Anton Szandor LaVey
“A membership ticket in this party does not confer genius on the holder.” -- Benito Mussolini
MY BOOK: ESSAYS IN SATANISM | MY BLOG: COSMODROMIUM | Deep Satanism Blog

#36964 - 04/25/04 07:12 PM Re: Priest murders Nun then performs her funeral [Re: Svengali]
Abbott Offline
CoS Member

Loc: Atlantic City,NJ
I thought they youth groups for that?

#36965 - 04/25/04 09:11 PM Re: Priest murders Nun then performs her funeral [Re: Svengali]
Mr_Scary Offline

CoS Warlock

Loc: Colorado springs, Colorado
It is funny to think that "we" are considered the bad guys. I say "we" meaning the unique, the free thinkers, the people who do not need a sheperd. It seems to me that the Catholic church has had some of the most vile of humans in it organization, for most of its history. "Eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth," isn't that in their book of morals. Shouldn't child molesting and murdering preists, as "holy" men, be held to those standards in the extreme?! Oh wait, "turn the other cheek," is also in their book. Too many contridictions to count.

#36966 - 04/26/04 02:05 AM Re: Priest murders Nun then performs her funeral [Re: Mr_Scary]
Moria Offline

I think the Catholic church is one of, if not THE, most bloodthirsty and vicious organizations ever. The only reason I think people hate the Catholic church is that they can't come to grips with the fact that they've been taken for all they're worth. It's one helluva business, and the boys at the top are really raking it in (even if it is at the expense of millions). You gotta respect that.
"Satanism has become a gravitational force. We know that it doesn't matter what you were before. Once you discover your Satanic persona, that's it. You knew it was lurking inside you. You just couldn't quite conceptualize it." - Anton Szandor LaVey

#36967 - 04/26/04 08:40 AM Re: Priest murders Nun then performs her funeral [Re: Svengali]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
Quote:

Priest murders Nun then performs her funeral

Well... at least he cleans his own mess!

Seriously now:

I’m really surprised, seen the “ritualistic” nature of the murder, that they didn’t automatically jump to blame it on “Evil Satanists” as they usually do.

#36968 - 04/26/04 11:44 AM Re: Priest murders Nun then performs her funeral [Re: Svengali]
Bill_M Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: New England, USA
>>It was described by some investigators as a "ritualistic"
>>killing.

It's damn well about TIME somebody in the media started using that word for a murder done with Xtian trappings.

>> Lord only knows what possessed him to do such a thing."

[BAH-doom, *cymbal crash*]

http://www.devilsmischief.com: Carnal Comedy Clips, Netherworld Novelty Numbers,
New hour every week. Download the mp3 now!

http://www.aplaceformystuff.org: Tales of Combat Clutter and other Adventures

(Wenn du Google's Übersetzer verwendest, um diese Worte zu lesen, dann bist du ein Arschloch.)

#36969 - 04/26/04 12:15 PM Re: Priest murders Nun then performs her funeral [Re: Svengali]
Anonymous
Unregistered

First off, it galls me that his words would actually be published incorrectly.

Quote:

It must of aged me 10 years.

Must HAVE. Spoken, its "must've". Christ.

Secondly, its obvious that they exhumed her (or used some evidence) to track his semen. What else would they have for 'new technology', some temporal viewer that shows past events? No. At whose request, I wonder, was the gag placed on the sexual part of this crime?

Thirdly, any organization as large as the Catholics is bound to produce its bad seeds. The problem is that they teach maddening suppression of our animal traits. The nun and the priest were probably getting it on secretly for years until she cut off the pussy supply (a disadvantage for both of them).

So how many people do you think he baptized since he murdered her?

#36970 - 04/26/04 11:59 PM Re: Priest murders Nun then performs her funeral [Re: Svengali]
Z3ro3X Offline
CoS Member

I try to tell every one where I live that Catholics are psychotic stone killers. After all the priest molestation of innocent children and now this, it still wont sink in. Maybe we ought to turn the tables and stone some of those stubborn Catholics and knock some sense into them. Lol, just kidding. I wouldn't stoop my self to there level.

#36971 - 04/27/04 12:09 AM Expected.... [Re: Svengali]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Whats to expect from a group that claims to beLIEve in The Almighty Lord but continues to sin. As long as they remember to confess and ask for his forgivness all is right.

#36972 - 04/27/04 12:24 AM Re: Priest murders Nun then performs her funeral [Re: Svengali]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
""I think that man must of been very sick. Lord only knows what possessed him to do such a thing."

The motive is glaringly obvious.

The victim had threatened to expose him in some way. Taking into consideration that this story centers around the Catholic Church then we can statistically suppose that he was a child molestor.

#36973 - 04/27/04 01:46 PM Re: Priest murders Nun then performs her funeral [Re: Svengali]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe it's just me but this should have been put in the humor section also. I know it's a serious topic but I couldn't quit laughing at just how ironic it was.
"A priest, a pedophile, and a homosexual walk into a bar... oh wait that's the same guy..."

DatheR

#36974 - 04/27/04 10:26 PM Re: Priest murders Nun then performs her funeral [Re: Svengali]
Dracul Offline

Loc: Romania
And Gawd said "Thou shall not kill." but if you kill just make sure the victim is properly burried and on his way to heaven.

Forum Stats
12010 Members
73 Forums
43824 Topics
405199 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements