Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#370995 - 02/04/09 10:19 PM Re: Introduction / Philosophical question [Re: ]
Enigma777 Offline

There are many things to think about in this world, and many things to do.

I myself don't really care much for reincarnation.
I agree that Satanist have largely similar thinking methods and philosophies.
However, we are individuals, so therefore, with due respect I don't think you should generalize on what Satanists ponder about, and what things we are interested in.

Obviously, some people here do seem to be interested or amused, by the notion of reincarnation, just as many here are interested in magick, Norse mythology, other cultures, et cetera.

Edited by Enigma777 (02/04/09 10:24 PM)

#370996 - 02/04/09 10:21 PM Re: Introduction / Philosophical question [Re: ]
Enigma777 Offline

Originally Posted By: all hallows
i hope you enjoy throwing up all the time.

You got me there! grin blush

#370998 - 02/04/09 10:30 PM Re: Introduction / Philosophical question [Re: Enigma777]
all hallows
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Enigma777
There are many things to think about in this world, and many things to do.

I myself don't really care much for reincarnation.
I agree that Satanist have largely similar thinking methods and philosophies.
However, we are individuals, so therefore, with due respect I don't think you should generalize on what Satanists ponder about, and what things we are interested in.

Obviously, some people here do seem to be interested or amused, by the notion of reincarnation, just as many here are interested in magick, Norse mythology, other cultures, et cetera.

really, what i was trying to get across, is that reincarnation isn't something that a satanist believes in. perhaps my wording was a little goofy. but you are right, there is a difference between belief and interest, yes.

#370999 - 02/04/09 10:37 PM Re: Introduction / Philosophical question [Re: ]
Enigma777 Offline

Yes, now I get what you are saying and I agree with that. smile
I'm sure most Satanists do too.

#371000 - 02/04/09 10:39 PM Re: Introduction / Philosophical question [Re: Enigma777]
Enigma777 Offline

May I know what painting that avatar is from?

Looks nice.

#371001 - 02/04/09 10:45 PM Re: Introduction / Philosophical question [Re: Enigma777]
all hallows
Unregistered

i took it from henry fuseli's "the nightmare".

photo: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8d/Johann_Heinrich_F%C3%BCssli_053.jpg

Edited by all hallows (02/04/09 10:52 PM)

#371012 - 02/05/09 01:55 AM Re: Introduction / Philosophical question [Re: LucifersBlood]
Drake_Bamboozle Offline
CoS Reverend

Loc: England
>> I do believe, however, that our bodies are mortal and our souls are immortal <<

The human species has over the course of its evolution developed certain fictions that make life more palatable to our psychology. That is to say, the herd have developed self-sufficient delusions.

Spiritual religions work, psychologically speaking, like mind altering drugs for those that require an escape from the reality of the situation.

It is an interesting observation of Dr. LaVey's that the idea of re-incarnation developed in countries where life was pretty miserable, the concept being if you live well all will be better in your next earthly incarnation.

The whole concept of a soul (in the religious understanding of the word) - just like the whole concept of a creator God or the Nazarene born of a virgin who could walk on water, rose from the dead and physically flew up into the clouds - is completely ludicrous and I do not need proof to the contrary to know it!

Satanists understand life as it is.

#371092 - 02/05/09 05:10 PM Re: Introduction / Philosophical question [Re: Drake_Bamboozle]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I'm not going to accept or shun an idea simply because a book or a person tells me to. If I was going to be that much of a sheep I'd still be a Catholic or a Wiccan.

@topic:
I was once close to death. I didn't feel my soul ebbing away. My life did not flash before me. There were no lights, voices or tunnels before me. All I felt was my body dying and blackness coming upon me.

I can't say that I buy the reincarnation faerie tale either.
I meet people and some seem familiar to me, as though I've known them before. But they could just remind me of someone or we could just be compatible, and that's not enough to convince me that we've know each other in 'a past life'.

I've never had flashbacks, dreams or any of the other 'signs' that other pagans told me about. Nor do I believe their 'guided meditations' are anything more than the power of suggestion hard at work.

Sure, reincarnation a pleasant notion. So are all the other fantasies that we hash out for ourselves. But I live in the real world, and until a past life, god, the Easter Bunny, Babayaga, Freddy Krueger etc. waltzes up to me and presents themselves for my scrutiny and verification, I'll remain a non-believer.

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#371094 - 02/05/09 06:13 PM Reincarnation = death [Re: LucifersBlood]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Loc: Point Nemo s48:52:31:748, w123...
I just want to mention one simple thing.

Reincarnation is not survival even if it were real.

Reincarnation follows the following steps:

1. You die.

2. Someone else is born and that person does not have your memories.

Compare this to total amnesia:

1. You lose all of personal memories.

2. The person you used to be is "dead".

What makes you "you" are your memories.

Lose those and you no longer exist, practically speaking.

Reincarnation is nothing more than spiritual Alzheimer's disease.

Go talk to someone who has a close relative who has lost their memories to trauma or disease and this will all become obvious to you.

The people who think that reincarnation means that you survive death have simply not thought it through.

Reincarnation is death as far as you are concerned.

Oh.

Almost forgot.

There is also this popular idea that somewhere along the way if you reincarnate long enough (and win enough spiritual brownie points) then you will recover all of your memories from all of your hundreds or thousands or (think Carl Sagan here) billions and billions of lives.

Sometimes this is supposed to go on between these nasty little incarnations down here on Earth.

Sometimes you have to "evolve" enough to remember all those lives.

Well, look at what happens once again to you if this were true.

Right now you relate to you by remembering your life from birth to the present (really you only remember small parts of your life but we'll keep this simple).

Now what exactly do you suppose happens to your identity as "you" if suddenly you are also a milkmaid named "Harriet" from 1872, a soldier named "Jean" from 1918, a priest named "Paul" from 1066, a prostitute named "Olga" from 436, and add on your hundreds (or thousands or whatever) life memories.

What happens to a can of tomato soup if you mix it into an ocean of chicken soup?

You are so diluted (and convoluted) that "you" cease to exist.

Think it through.

Either way, reincarnation is exactly equivalent to you dying dead and being totally destroyed as far as "you" are concerned.

But then maybe it appeals to so many people because they really are already brain dead anyway! wink

Just think it through from a selfish (Satanic!) perspective and you will understand why reincarnation is the same as absolute death.

Simple.

#371097 - 02/05/09 06:18 PM Re: Reincarnation = death [Re: Nemo]
HellofallHells Offline
CoS Warlock

Quote:
a prostitute named "Olga" from 436,

Hey, Olga was a friend of mine and the prostitution thing was just a rumor. Never charged me a dime! (or piece of silver)

#371098 - 02/05/09 06:19 PM Re: Reincarnation = death [Re: Nemo]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

Oh, I almost forgot.

The same folks that think reincarnation is so "good" also do not think that it is right if only you remember your own identity.

That would not be called reincarnation.

That would be called "possession".

And everyone "knows" that possession is evil ...even though possession is nine-tenths of the law! grin

Nope, you with just your memories coming back to life is evil.

Coming back as the Borg is okay though! zombie

Do you get the picture?

You as you, you as an individual - with your own memories, likes, dislikes, passions, loves, relationships, desires, etc. - that is basically evil if you get to live on that way back here on Earth as yourself.

But if you come back as a total amnesiac idiot-smiling infant, well that's spiritual.

And if we did that to convicted murderers the world would rise up and scream that we were monsters.

You see, if it is good for you then it is evil.

It is the same old, same old of what is selfish is "evil" and what is selfless is "virtuous".

That kind of crazy thinking is exactly what Satanism rejects.

And nothing is more selfless than you not being there as you!

No "you" = no "self" = selfless.

I'll take selfishness, thank you! wink

#371103 - 02/05/09 06:42 PM Re: Introduction / Philosophical question [Re: LucifersBlood]
ABZU Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Oregon
Nietzsche didn’t like the idea of a beginning or ending of time, and thought that time was infinite. His logic was that if time was infinite events had to repeat themselves eventually. This is a similar idea to the “eternal return” of the Stoics and very different from “reincarnation”. Where is Warlock Reprobate?

Church of Satan

"As I have stated, the paradox where more people are "talking" dark forces up, down, and sideways, but fewer than ever are actually living as night people, provokes speculation. The moral here is that when everybody's talking, very few are doing. More time is spent comparing notes with aficionados than in enjoying the hobby per se."
A.S.L. / T.D.N.

#371105 - 02/05/09 06:44 PM Re: Olga [Re: HellofallHells]
Nemo Offline
CoS Magister

That's not how I remember it! laugh

#371127 - 02/05/09 09:45 PM Re: Olga [Re: Nemo]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
@ Nemo: "Reincarnation is nothing more than spiritual Alzheimer's disease."

I love that line. coopdevil

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#371135 - 02/05/09 10:22 PM Re: Olga [Re: Lilibeta]
Hedonist Offline

Loc: Australia
Fantastic line, and so very true! Even IF the essence of an individual somehow makes it into another body, no-one remembers their past life - so it's irrelevant.

Makes for amusing conversations, but has no practical value to any life loving person what-so-ever.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Forum Stats
12085 Members
73 Forums
43862 Topics
405448 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 06:49 AM
Advertisements