Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#370202 - 01/28/09 08:46 PM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
TheAbysmal Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
Today, I grabbed a six pack of Hoegaarden. Wow. A Belgian White that really gets it right! This iss not Shock Top, Blue Moon, or Leinenkugel. The coriander is noticeable without being overwhelming, and the orange peel is barely there. I find an unusual combination of words describes it. It is a heavy beer, yet it is also very crisp.

Having read the bottle, it claims to be "The original Belgian White Beer", established in 1445. I have not done my fact finding yet, but being established in 1445, One might think the company knows what it is doing. They certainly got this one right.

I also eyed a six pack of a Czech brew, but opted for Red Hook IPA instead. Anyone here familiar with Czech beers that can school Me on those? I have never sampled a Czech brew, or do not remember it. While I am adventurous, I also tend to find fancy labelinnng and foiling somewhat off-putting: What is more important, the bottle or the beer? Or, so My thoughts go.

#370226 - 01/29/09 05:21 AM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Blackspring Offline

Loc: London
Budweiser Budvar is a good Czech brew, I believe it is marketed as Czechvar in the States, because of the trademark dispute with Budweiser. This is quite ironic as the term Budweiser actually means "something from the town of Budweis in the Czech Republic"

#370233 - 01/29/09 06:14 AM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
Originally Posted By: Vitaeviternus
Today, I grabbed a six pack of Hoegaarden.

I have seen this beer, almost gotten it, but passed it by.
You given it a glowing review, so I will pick some up today.

I have already mentioned thisd, but you may want to try Stone IPA: http://www.stonebrew.com/tasting/ipa/index.html
It is very hoppy, and is quickly becoming one of my prefered beers.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#370251 - 01/29/09 07:20 AM Re: Beer! [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
~suzanne~ Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Guinness is to heavy for me. But I like Murphy's Irish Red, its softer.
Than I like Hertog Jan and from Belgium Palm and Duvel!
But the most places were I go also serve Grolsch, thats okay.

I would like to say: Cheerz!!!
Proost!! (Netherlands)

Edited by ~suzanne~ (01/29/09 07:21 AM)

#370352 - 01/29/09 08:08 PM Re: Beer! [Re: ~suzanne~]
Gladius Satanas Offline

Loc: Utah, U.S.
I will and have tried most everything, but when I drink, I find myself always returning to Guinness. I enjoy the color, texture and the moderate, relaxing buzz it provides. It is pure comfort.

Originally Posted By: all hallows
i've also learned to appreciate wine as well, but i prefer red wines to white wines. it's also good for you. smile

So is Guinness! laugh

Edited by Unbound (01/29/09 08:11 PM)

#370988 - 02/04/09 07:53 PM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I have tried a blueberry beer, which was actually kind of tasty.

I tried a chocolate beer that just didn't do it for me.
Has anyone tried a chocolate beer they could recommend?

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#371062 - 02/05/09 09:30 AM Re: Beer! [Re: TheAbysmal]
Dandy_Zak Offline

Loc: New England
Häffe-Weiße tops anything I have had, in my opinion.

#371167 - 02/06/09 06:08 AM Re: Beer! [Re: Mr.Terrestrium]
Hagen von Tronje Offline

CoS Priest

What!

Köstritzer is a fantastic German beer, one of the best. It's easily my favorite, and I'm a pretty picky bastard about what I call a good beer.

Warsteiner is more like a German version of Budweiser. Yeah, it's ok, no German could make such a fucking mess of beer as Budweiser is, but it's pretty obviously mass produced, low grade beer.

In point of fact the only beers I've had that compared to Köstritzer for flavor were abbey ales.

#371260 - 02/06/09 11:21 PM Re: Beer! [Re: Hagen von Tronje]
ParaBellum Offline

Loc: Plausibly deniable
In no particular order:

Guinness
Newcastle Brown
Final Absolution (a Belgian Trippel from a local microbrewery)
Rasputin Imperial Stout
Aventinus (Doppelbock)
Arrogant Bastard Ale
Fat Tire
Blue Moon
Almost any Hefeweizen

When I was stationed in Germany, Binding was the local flavor. Their Romer Pils was a favorite. Kristallweizen with a slice of lemon is refreshing on a summer's day.

As for Scotch, I have a bottle of Aberlour 16 waiting for me when I return home.

#371878 - 02/14/09 07:50 PM Re: Beer! [Re: Roho_the_Rooster]
TheAbysmal Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
I would recommend Chimay, which is not a chocolate beer, per se, but has a chocolately taste to it. The darker one does, at least. Also, the Liberty Tap Room (Columbia SC) offers a seasonal brew that is even chocolatier. I cannot remember the name of it, but damn if it is not a good "chocolate" beer. Wychwood Brewery's Hobgoblin Dark English Ale is also reminiscent of chocolate. Very good.

I have found, and would argue, the better "chocolate" beers tend to be of the darker variety.

Also, not a beer, but Arizona Tea once marketed a Chocolate Soda. I could not tolerate the flavor, but My brother loved the stuff. Not beer, but a bubbly chocalate drink nevertheless.

Finally, I came back back to this thread to comment on Stone IPA, which was recommended to Me. Stone IPA is really good, and funny that I come to this reply... Feintly chocolatey/hoppy in taste.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Forum Stats
13116 Members
73 Forums
44415 Topics
407284 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold