Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#372516 - 02/21/09 08:00 PM Re: 3rd and 6th Satanic Sins [Re: Evil_Eve]
Hedonist Offline

Loc: Australia
Evil_Eye, I could not agree more.

I personally do not make my affiliation known except to a few select individuals (close friends only). I do not dress 'Satanically' (whatever that means, but certainly not what the herd would expect). And I would think that the herds perception of police, paramedic, etc who would openly claim to be a Satanist - well, that it would be asking for trouble...

Solipsism is indeed a very dangerous thing.

#372548 - 02/22/09 05:41 AM Re: 3rd and 6th Satanic Sins [Re: reprobate]
Spelled Moon
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: reprobate
Be careful and be discreet.

I'd say the same...

Religion shouldn't generate problems, if one keeps it for himself.

#372550 - 02/22/09 07:26 AM Re: Police & The Church of Satan [Re: Jake Sullivan]
Shade Offline
CoS Witch

Loc: A Trailer Park
Originally Posted By: Jake Sullivan
My question is: [...] you're a borderline, middle-of-the-week Christian brought up with traditional Christian ideals - and you heard that your local station was run by a Satanic Police Officer; would you still trust them?

This not only applies to Police, but Paramedics, Doctors, Firefighters, etc. The people we in the community trust to protect and serve.

Ideally, yes. Pragmatically, maybe not. I think it would depend on my perception of the religion and whether or not I thought the person was a fanatic. I imagine most people are particularly biased when it comes to matters of their health and safety.

Ideally, I expect a person providing a public service to provide that service to the public. The public doesn’t mean “people with the same religious affiliation as me”. It means the public in all of its diversity. I'd love to think these folks are always ethical, responsible, qualified members of their respective professions who do their jobs without prejudices or standards I don‘t agree with.

Realistically though, I think trusting someone to perform a task that is contrary to fervent personal moral/religious beliefs is risky. Kind of like trusting a Quaker to actually fight in combat even if he is holding a gun. He may look like a soldier but is he going to perform like one? I’d have serious doubts.

Whether or not it’s fact, it often seems like people who base their identity on religion, who make it part of their public persona, are going to follow those principles before anything else. Obviously Satanism doesn’t bother me but I wouldn’t trust someone to behave rationally and professionally if they appeared like a fanatical follower of a freaky religion.

Regarding emergency personnel, I don’t imagine there’s a whole lot of time for “gettin’ to know ya” during a crisis. I doubt I’d know them personally and I certainly wouldn’t have a choice about who is treating/protecting me. I’m not sure if trust is the right word but I expect these folks to do their jobs impartially and reliably and if they choose not to, I expect them to accept the consequences.
"What happens in the shadow, in the grey regions, also interests us – all that is elusive and fugitive, all that can be said in those beautiful half tones, or in whispers, in deep shade." ~ The Brothers Quay

We're Just Regular People

#372563 - 02/22/09 09:25 AM Re: Police & The Church of Satan [Re: Jake Sullivan]
Allison Offline

Loc: nyc
I inherently trust no one. Trust, like respect, is earned.

#372586 - 02/22/09 03:21 PM Re: 3rd and 6th Satanic Sins [Re: Evil_Eve]
DLlo_S810 Offline

CoS Member

Loc: Charlotte/Concord, NC
Speaking for myself I don't mind what religion one is as long as it does not influence them in doing their job to the best of their ability. Although if someone would harm my children I would want the officer who caught them to be a Satanist!

#372616 - 02/22/09 08:57 PM Re: 3rd and 6th Satanic Sins [Re: Evil_Eve]
TranquilChaos Offline
CoS Member

Loc: USA IA
I have to agree with reprobate and Evil_eve but would like to also add..... One of my favorite music groups Type o Negative wrote a song with the lyrics "Trust and you'll be trusted said the liar to the fool"

That and adding that my wife use to constantly badger me about fidelity I finally told her that I was cheating on her and she immediatly said "No your not" and I replied then why are you asking?

The best liars tell the truth 90% of the time so why bother asking. If you want to know who you can trust simply watch, if you don't have time to watch then you have to take a chance.

I give every body the same amount of trust which I figure is no more than $10.00 worth of assets, effort, or time what you do with it after that is up to you.

First hand experience history is the only real source of truth. Just remember History that you didn't experienc is "His Story" not yours.

#372688 - 02/23/09 12:31 PM Re: Police & The Church of Satan [Re: Jake Sullivan]
Old_Pig Offline

Loc: The Deep South
My question is: say for instance you've either just discovered the Satanic Bible, or you're a borderline, middle-of-the-week Christian brought up with traditional Christian ideals - and you heard that your local station was run by a Satanic Police Officer; would you still trust them?

I guess that's a question you have to ask to a borderline, middle-of-the-week Christian brought up with traditional Christian ideals.

Now, if you ask me as a Satanist, would I trust an officer/doctor who is openly a Satanist?

No. Because a Satanist who occupies such a position should know better than to reveal his religious affiliation to the public. So that guy is showing that either he is not a real Satanist or he is a really dumb one.

#372695 - 02/23/09 01:20 PM Re: Police & The Church of Satan [Re: Jake Sullivan]
Roho_the_Rooster Offline
CoS Warlock

Loc: Pre-Apocalypolis
I've been a Police Officer for just on 3 years now, and I've noticed a rather strong presence of other Satanists within the Police Force globally.

May I ask how you came about this observation?

I think that you will notice an above average respect for law enforcement among forum members, irrespective of religion.

http://theepicureandilettante.blogspot.com/

"Life is the only race you lose by reaching the end." - M.M.

#372717 - 02/23/09 05:12 PM Re: Police & The Church of Satan [Re: Jake Sullivan]
Unknown Offline
Unknown

Quote:
I've never been one to brag about my affiliations as it could potentially tarnish my career,

Stop there.

Now I must ask you why?

Why risk a most respectable and satisfying career?

Why risk a backlash you could avoid?

why put yourself at risk when you don't have too?

#372752 - 02/24/09 05:48 AM Re: Police & The Church of Satan [Re: Unknown]
ruraldean Offline

CoS Member

Loc: England
Personally, i'd sit by and watch my colleagues get fired or otherwise screw up and congratulate myself on being the last Satanist standing.

But that's just me.

I go with Unknown's reply: Why?

"The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected..."

-William Makepeace Thackeray, from The Social Pipe
http://ruraldean.wordpress.com

#372779 - 02/24/09 01:59 PM Re: Police & The Church of Satan [Re: Unknown]
Jake Sullivan Offline

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Unknown
Quote:
I've never been one to brag about my affiliations as it could potentially tarnish my career,

Stop there.

Now I must ask you why?

Why risk a most respectable and satisfying career?

Why risk a backlash you could avoid?

why put yourself at risk when you don't have too?

I don't. As I said previously, I've never been one to brag; meaning no one knows but me. Some people have taken that risk and it's paid off for them, but I don't see any benefit.

@Roho:

Simple Internet searches and knowing a lot of Officer's through conventions.

#372963 - 02/26/09 01:02 PM Re: 3rd and 6th Satanic Sins [Re: Evil_Eve]
Garm Offline

Loc: Norway
I dont really care what religion they are a member off, or if they are religious at all. What matter is that they are good at their job and treat people equally (atleast as long as they deserve it). If i get what i need i couldnt care less wether they are a satanist or not.

Would i trust a policeman, fireman, etc, blindly just cause he/she is open about beeing a satanist? No. Simply because the person could be as much of an idiot as a muslim, christian, etc.

#372971 - 02/26/09 04:25 PM Re: 3rd and 6th Satanic Sins [Re: Garm]
Branwyn Offline

Loc: Montana, USA
Originally Posted By: Mímir
What matter is that they are good at their job and treat people equally (atleast as long as they deserve it).

Of course, those working as firefighters and EMTs (and I would imagine cops as well, to a lesser extent perhaps) can't really treat people how they deserve to be treated, at least not and keep their jobs and credibility. You could be in the ambulance treating a sweet seven year old or a drunk driver who just hit and killed a seven year old. Unfortunately, full justice has to be put on hold while the uniform is on, best you can do is make sure your documentation is flawless so it will stand up in the vehicular homicide trial.

~Branwyn

-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

#373042 - 02/27/09 02:41 PM Re: 3rd and 6th Satanic Sins [Re: Branwyn]
Lilibeta Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Ideally, we should be able to trust professionals but my trust has to be earned, I just don't give it. And I don't advertise my beliefs, never have.

I don't care what religion or beliefs a professional follows unless it impacts on me.

I think that professionals such as police, doctors etc. should not allow their beliefs or personal feelings to impact on their profession. Unfortunately this often does happen. Personally, I have been mistreated by nurses when visiting a Catholic hospital (it was the closest). I didn't give my religion when asked but I did have to provide the types of operations that I've had for their records. Mine include a tubal ligation (permanent sterilization)

For my sins I will ask no forgiveness. For my sins they are not to forgive.

#373067 - 02/27/09 10:12 PM Re: 3rd and 6th Satanic Sins [Re: Branwyn]
Garm Offline

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Branwyn
Of course, those working as firefighters and EMTs (and I would imagine cops as well, to a lesser extent perhaps) can't really treat people how they deserve to be treated, at least not and keep their jobs and credibility. You could be in the ambulance treating a sweet seven year old or a drunk driver who just hit and killed a seven year old. Unfortunately, full justice has to be put on hold while the uniform is on, best you can do is make sure your documentation is flawless so it will stand up in the vehicular homicide trial.

~Branwyn

I really, really, admire those who stay professional and treat even the child molestors, rapists, etc, equally to the "good guys".

I would think that even the cops are under the rules of treating everyone equally (as much as firefighters, EMT, etc) and doing what they can to save those who are in trouble no matter what their rap-sheet look like (or dont look like). And they are under constant observation by the public so if they use a little to much force when taking someone down or whatever they will get in trouble. I would think in that way that their job might be a little harder since they are hated by many.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Forum Stats
13166 Members
73 Forums
44450 Topics
407331 Posts

Max Online: 197 @ 10/04/11 04:49 AM
Advertisements

hold